whats the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like optics, at 67 I have a hard time with open sights. I am having cataract surgery in a couple of weeks and that may help. I will admit I have open sights on my hand guns. Sometimes you have to keep shopping until you can find what you want.

Iron sights are about as useful as cars with wooden wheels.
Lol ..... just because your eyes are old and decrepit does not mean everyone's are .... your judgement is clouded by your personal bias ..... stop it. The vast majority of rifles in the world are sporting "iron sights"... is this because there is a shortage of wood? Glass? What? The are in fact useful ..... or they would not BE. Your analogy is ridiculous: nobody has made wooden wheels for an automobile for nigh a century..... iron sights are not only in production on new rifles today, but are the rule in most of the world, rather than the exception..... just because you don't see them in all the latest gun rags (born and bred and fed by the Marketing promises of "The Next Big Thing!!!!!1111!") and yes, you might like them ..... but no..... most rifles in the world have not got glass atop them ..... and won't for a long while: irons work .... and the rifles under them are more likely to fail/degrade in normal use ......

Last edited:
If you can't find a longer barrel bolt action with good quality iron sights, you aren't shopping in the right places.

The big first step is to forget limiting yourself to NEW guns.
This. There are millions of guns out there ..... with iron sights, stocked for same (which is more than I can say for a lot of guns with glass on them!) ....

Irons sure make the rifle easier to carry in your hand, and eliminate lot of weight, which is nice if you are mountain hunting. Forces you to be a serious hunter, with LR shots off the table.

Forces you to be a serious hunter, with LR shots off the table.

No, they don't. If only that WERE true...:rolleyes:

Scope sights encourage different behavior than iron sights, some of it bad, but there's no force involved. Long range shots aren't off the table with iron sights, either.

What iron sights don't do, is work like a telescope. You'll never see some idiot "glassing" a hillside with an iron sighted rifle. All too often you see people with scoped rifles using the scope for LOOKING for game.

Nor do iron sights magnify distant animals, making people THINK a long shot is easy.

Thanks to your grandson for his service.

Thank you. To think that someone is thanking my GRANDSON for his military service is something I'm having a bit of a time with.

There aren't words for my pride in that young man.

Forces you to be a serious hunter, with LR shots off the table.

No, as 44 AMP pointed out, nothing "forces" you to be a "serious" hunter more than a sense of ethics does. What you imply is sort of analogous to the argument that a single-shot rifle forces you to be a more conscientious hunter, while a semi-auto rifle leads one to spray the countryside with bullets, mindless of the consequences.
Everything has to do with what we're taught and how well we adhere to sportsman-like conduct and nothing to do with the kind of gun we're hunting with or whether we rely on the rifle to have irons or glass to sight with.

When I was young, about 45 years ago, I had really really good eyesight. I had an old Winchester model 1917 that was a superb shooter. Like a dummy I sold it to a friend who wanted to give it to his grandfather, a man I worked for as a teen and whom I greatly admired. He had it sporterized with just a new stock and rear sight but kept it stock otherwise. I stopped to visit one day and he asked if I recognized the rifle, and then handed me five rounds and we proceeded to the shooting bench outside their rear door. He pointed to a five gallon can sitting across the coulee and said that’s 530 yds. He told me where to aim and I gave it a shot. It hit right at the base of the can, I made an adjustment and hit it four times. So yeah, iron sights can do the job if you can. But age fixes that so now scopes only beyond 100yds for me.

I don't understand the obsession with getting "the factory" to fulfill this need.

Almost any off the shelf rifle can be modified by a competent gunsmith with a wide variety of easily attainable front and rear sight combinations. Just factor the cost of improvement into consideration when making your initial purchase.

Being unreasonable with magazines IMO.

Use magpul magazines in 3 different rifles. Never had an issue with one. No cracks. No breaks. No failed to feed.

I cannot say that about some metal mags in same rifles.

Also, the Marine Corps Systems Command in December released a message which authorized the PMAG polymer magazine for use in the M27 infantry automatic rifle as well as in M16A4 rifle and M4 carbine.

So if they are good enough for the marines......i don't think you should have an issue with them.

But thats just me.

Last edited:
Well, I think we've reached the end of a long discussion on "what's the point?" There's no point in continuing now since the topic has changed more than once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back