whats the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PocketCamera

wanting a bolt action rifle with IRON SIGHTS on it. When they do get made, they get made with super short barrels, huge muzzle blast, cheap plastic magazines. and adjustable "rear sights" that perhaps are one step above a washer soldered onto a screw set into the receiver top.

or they one or two that CAN take a metal magazine, have magazines so expensive it isnt worth buying one because youll spend your ammunition budget for a whole month.

and why do they NEVER show a professional shooter gasp USING the factory iron sights on them?

sell me a rifle with iron sights i want to see the iron sights USED. seriously, all the brands if you pay attention the scopes are normally blocking off the sights. if the iron sights can actually meet the advertising description of "scout rifle, patrol rifle to carry in the car to end a surprise hostage standoff really fast.." i want to see someone shooting muskmelons with the iron sights.

I hunt with a Ruger African in 6.5x55. It has great open sights!
LINK

I also put a scope on it for the typical longer range shots like 100-300 yards. I can shoot 100 yds with them! I mount the optic with Warne QD rings because if it goes down, or I find myself hunting heavy cover, it goes to the pack.

They also make it in 280 AI. Both great hunting calibers!

I also have a Winchester 70 converted to 458 Lott. It has a NECG front hooded barrel band sight and a rear NECG 2 leaf rear sight. It won’t get a scope. I hit with the sights fine!

I’m also building a custom 300 Sherman (think 30x280AI on steroids!) It will run a front hooded NECG barrel band sight and A NECG rear peep that gets a fitted to the Weaver base when the optic in QD rings is removed.

Take a look at what NECG makes....LINK

whats the point?
wanting a bolt action rifle with IRON SIGHTS on it. When they do get made, they get made with super short barrels, huge muzzle blast, cheap plastic magazines. and adjustable "rear sights" that perhaps are one step above a washer soldered onto a screw set into the receiver top.

or they one or two that CAN take a metal magazine, have magazines so expensive it isnt worth buying one because youll spend your ammunition budget for a whole month.

and why do they NEVER show a professional shooter gasp USING the factory iron sights on them?

sell me a rifle with iron sights i want to see the iron sights USED. seriously, all the brands if you pay attention the scopes are normally blocking off the sights. if the iron sights can actually meet the advertising description of "scout rifle, patrol rifle to carry in the car to end a surprise hostage standoff really fast.." i want to see someone shooting muskmelons with the iron sights.

Wow. So not only do you want a product sold to you created in the exact manner that you want (which is not outrageous), but that you want to see said product advertised being used in the manner that you think it should be used? This is just where you need to get {gasp} over your expectations. Being worried about how people show a product being used that is different from what you want to see is just plain ridiculous. Buy the gun and don't worry if they advertised it how you think they should advertise it. You don't have to use it how they advertise it, right. In short, the advertisements don't matter one iota.

Plenty of 'scout' rifles. You can configure your own. I don't know anyone who would consider 18 and 19" barrels to be ridiculously short. If muzzle flash is a problem for you, get a freakin' flash hider for the rifle. 19" is about a perfect match for Cooper's concept.
https://gundigest.com/article/5-scout-rifles-survival

As for 'patrol rifles' that to end a surprise hostage situation fast, most 'patrol rifles' are semi automatic and most are AR15 variants.
https://www.lawofficer.com/the-patrol-rifle/

Whether patrol rifles are decked out with iron sights or optics varies between individuals and departments.

But I like open sights! I love peeps! I shoot better at up to 75 yards with these than I do scopes, which is fine for the PA heavily wooded hunting I do!

Iron sights are about as useful as cars with wooden wheels. They don't make those anymore either, but some people still drive them occasionally for nostalgic reasons.

There is nothing, I mean nothing, that iron sights do better than optics. And a quality set of irons will cost more than a scope and be less rugged. The military no longer even trains with iron sighted rifles.

None of my bolt guns have them and they would just be in the way if they did. Most of my AR's don't have them either and I'm tempted to saw the ones off that do. I have low powered 1-4X and 1-6X optics on the rifles used up close and on 1X they are much faster to use than irons.

If I'm feeling nostalgic I have several iron sighted lever guns to scratch that itch.

I shoot better at up to 75 yards with these than I do scopes,

You're using the wrong scope.

Out to about 200 yards, in good light, in open country, iron sights are perfectly acceptable for someone who can shoot. But in poor light and thick brush you can't shoot what you can't see, or if can't see the sights. Legal shooting time is 30 minutes prior to sunrise until 30 minutes after sunset in most places. Up to 1 hour in others.

That is when the vast majority of shots are taken. You're giving up the most productive times to hunt using irons even if you're not shooting past 20 yards. If you think scopes are only used for long range shooting you don't understand scopes.

There is nothing, I mean nothing, that iron sights do better than optics.
1. When something goes wrong with them, the problem is typically something the user can see which makes diagnosis of the problem easy.

2. They are typically lighter and lower profile/more compact than optics.
And a quality set of irons will cost more than a scope and be less rugged.
A quality set of irons will cost less than a quality scope and should be at least as rugged as the scope.

Yes, there are some very expensive and somewhat fragile target sights, but pretending those are the only options out there that qualify as a "quality set of irons" isn't accurate.

Optics do provide significant advantages over iron sights in many respects. That's why people are willing to pay a ton of money (compared to iron sights) for optics. And that's why they are willing to pay the penalty in size and weight for optics vs. iron sights.

I think it's pretty easy to argue the superiority of optics without making up advantages for optics or pretending that the few advantages of iron sights don't exist.

There is nothing, I mean nothing, that iron sights do better than optics.

No need to list all the advantages scopes offer to the shooter but when it comes to hunting, especially in heavy cover, every scope ever made detracts from the handling of any rifle and the bigger and bulkier and heavier the scope is, the more the handling is compromised. For most people, the advantages of glass outweigh this disadvantage but it's a disadvantage nonetheless.

I am a fan of iron sighted rifles, even though at 64, it's getting harder to see them. Except for maybe a cheap .22 scoped rifle, I didn't even own a rifle scope till about 10 years ago. I shoot a lot of military high power, iron sights, and surplus military and lever action rifles. They do everything I want to do.

JMR40, the military still has to qualify with Iron sights.

That being said, there are no advantages to using Iron sights VS a decent properly selected scope, other than weight saving/ handling.

My grandson qualified with iron sights on an M16 last week. They train with optic next week.

[edit] Marksmanship practice pic attached.

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 54
Ruger or Savage Scout rifles both feature iron sights, and both guns are pretty accurate with good ammo. i still remember when my buddy got a Ruger Scout about 8 years ago and the first time I shot it I hit a rolling coke can 4 out of 5 times at about 50 yards.

First shot knocked it over, and then for fun i kept shooting at it as it rolled. I'm not a great rifle shooter, and back then I was even worse, so I was very surprised to score that many hits from that distance on a moving small target.

You seem to be putting a big value on metal magazines.

Who cares? Magpul makes awesome magazines that are very durable, are are not metal.

And some people actually hunt with rifles and don't want or need a scope.

hmm plastic magazines...

plastic magazines have increased shattering and breakage when they get cold.

really, im "off my rocker" because i expect the companies to ACTUALLY SHOW AND PROMOTE the products they make? ONLY having guys shooting the rifle with a scope, and not using the IRON SIGHTS they are advertising as the CORE purpose of the entire concept, is sort of like paying for a lobster dinner and not eating the lobster..

its like a mechanic charging you 500$ to put a new axle on but NOT oh, say, checking the torgue of the bolts holding it on.

and for the naysayers, the Appleseed project gets high touted on these forums as a great way to learn to shoot. i havent participated, but i have HEARD the emphasis is IRON SIGHTS..when possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
That being said, there are no advantages to using Iron sights VS a decent properly selected scope, other than weight saving/ handling.
Or if the scope decides to go on permanent vacation, which can happen to the best of them at the worst possible moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back