Whats the oldest milsurp in your collection?

Surplus:
1809 Prussian Musket (sorry no pics). Interesting piece though. It has markings on the butt indicative of American Indian carvings.

1873 Trapdoor Carbine
100_1345.jpg

Commercial:
1865 Spencer Carbine:
100_1369.jpg

Oldest milspec?

Original Civil War era Remington (1863) .58 caliber rifle. I believe it is a Zouve model, (was told by expert). I have had it for many years and was passed down through our family since back in the '30's.

carbinemusket.jpg

1773 (as best we can determine) Charleville musket, carried by an ancestor of mine in the Continental Army. The provenance we have indicates that this musket was with him during the winter of 1777-'78 at Valley Forge. It's fully functional; the last time it was fired (as best we can determined) was in 1928, when my father, as an ill-behaved 10 year old, took the powder out of a shot shell he "borrowed" from his father, loaded the musket with it with no wadding or ball, thank God, tied it in a tree, and with a string set it off. I heard the story a million times before my dad passed, but he wouldn't tell me how hard my grandfather kicked his butt for risking the most prized of our family heirlooms.

1942 Winchester M1 carbine, carried by a doctor in Patton's army in North Africa who was my father's best friend for 70-odd years.

milsurp

probably my civil war burnside, smith and maynard. Then Springfield trapdoor and a little more up date a December 1940 M1 garand (pre-war)

I have a few from the 1930s and 1940s....

My favorite is the K31 for the style and straight pull, the Mosin for the economy, the Mauser for the rugged toughness, and the Garand for the patriotism/pride/semi-automatic rifle ahead of its time.

Two at 100 years

My two oldest:

First is a 1910 Production Ross Mk II 5*

IMG_9225.jpg

Second is a 1910 Enfield No. 1 Mk III
(well, started out as that - converted to .22 No. 2 Mk. IV* in 1924)

NoIVRHprofile.jpg

Back