What's the most overrated handgun in your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting so many people mentioned Glock. I'm relatively new to the gun world. I remember walking to a local gun store and asking the staff to recommend a good reliable handgun. He said Glock 19. I put it in my hand and knew immediately I am not a fan of their firearms at all. The plastics feel so cheap and poorly designed.

An interesting thought experiment is to look at various handguns and try to determine what their popularity would be if they were totally unknown and came on the market today as brand-new designs.

An interesting thought experiment is to look at various handguns and try to determine what their popularity would be if they were totally unknown and came on the market today as brand-new designs.

You mean like a HK P7? ;)

Unfortunately, that will get reliability out of the equation. Good thing is that we live at a time when we can get the best of both worlds: fit/finish and reliability. Here are my favorites:
- HK P30 and VP9
- Walther PDP
- Sig P226

The Glock fanboys only care about reliability and miss so much on the fun factor.

You mean like a HK P7?
I mean like every handgun out there.

Imagine some knowledgeable gun writer or inveterate youtube firearm personality picking up a (1911, Glock, CZ-75, Grand Power K100, Makarov, Luger, Walther PPK, Beretta 92FS, Freedom Arms .454, Ruger LCR, etc.) , having never seen nor heard of the design before (because this is the first one ever made) and writing a review of it.
Unfortunately, that will get reliability out of the equation.
Why would it? It's not unheard of for people to do torture tests/reliability tests on new designs.

Pumpkin said:
I’ll send a late vote for the HP.
How this is considered an improvement over the 1911 I’ll never understand.
It wasn't intended as an improvement over the 1911.

Several features of the 1911 design were patented -- and Browning had sold those patents to Colt. When FN hired him to design a new pistol for them, the 1911 patents were still active, so Browning had to work around those patents. Then Browning died, so the design was completed by Dieudonné Saive.

What's the most overrated handgun in your opinion?

IF we take "overrated" to mean the good points are over hyped and the flaws not considered, then yes, I'd put Glock at the top of the list.

Interestingly I am happy with Glocks for many decades and shooting over 100k rounds through them.

I also find the FN Grande Puissance a good pistol, especially when considering that the design is almost 90 years old.

I shot a Colt Python in competition for many years and, while I prefer the S&W14, the Colt Python performed excellent.

I had an early CZ75 from the 1980s and the trigger was horrible, the hammer lifted before it fell and a common fix was to use grub screws and limit trigger movement. I have a Sphinx AT2000S and it shows what the CZ75 design can deliver.

I guess that I just like guns in general if they work well and have at least some accuracy potential but I could never warm up to Heckler & Koch very much and the fierce fan boys. Fan boys raving about the accuracy of their guns at the range and then use a B27 and shoot 85% at 7 yards are unfortunately all too common.

Whenever a pistol takes over the market like Glock has........there will be disgruntled folk who are jealous because their favorite handgun has been surpassed.

They will loudly argue and proclaim it's overrated.

However, great popularity is rarely based on false rumors.

Glock is dominant.

BUT.........Glock did run into problems when trying to add the more powerful cartridges to their line--for example the .40 on the 9mm frame.

Some parts were not up to the task........so the Glock superiority took some hits.

I have only 9mms and .45 ACPs in my Glocks so I've had no problems.

Those who tend to want to push the envelope are more likely to see difficulties.

Python. Hands down. Popularity purely from aesthetics of the ribbed barrel and/or walking dead.

Trigger is awful. Trigger can't improve because of drop design.

I'm sure I'm wrong though.
You could be wrong.

(About the trigger, I mean.)

I've always heard they had great triggers.

Never could afford one, though. Maybe that's a good thing.

:D

I’ll send a late vote for the HP.
How this is considered an improvement over the 1911 I’ll never understand.
I have one. I like it.
It was a great pistol in its time.
But it is a dinosaur by today's standards, with sub-optimal ergos and a trigger that can never be great without substantial work. (Something the 1911 also suffers from, and JMB complained about when he was forced to add the grip safety.)

Whenever a pistol takes over the market like Glock has........there will be disgruntled folk who are jealous because their favorite handgun has been surpassed.

And there are folks who don't give a rodent's posterior what position Glock, or any other item holds in the market sales rankings.

However, great popularity is rarely based on false rumors.

(where is the gigglesnort smilie?? :D)

I thank the Fates I was not drinking anything when I read that line. Thank you for that bit of humor! :rolleyes:

If you actually believe great popularity is rarely based on false rumors, you need to take a better look at our culture (and stick to the last century or so to keep the numbers somewhat manageable) and look at politics, the entertainment industry, news reporting, economic "bubbles" and the entire idea of fan worship of people or things.

Glock is dominant.
SO?? :rolleyes:

The OP asked for our opinions, market share doesn't matter to my opinion.
If market dominance is what you base your opinion on, then that's your opinion. I use other criteria to make my own opinions.

As far as I'm concerned, ANY maker of ANY thing who claims their product is "perfection" is overrating their product. No matter how many lemmings follow their lead.

Python. Hands down. Popularity purely from aesthetics of the ribbed barrel and/or walking dead.

Trigger is awful.

Are you talking about the original Pythons, or the guns made and sold today under the Python name?? They are NOT the same guns. Though I do agree that the (original) Python has always been overrated, they were fine guns, well made and beautifully finished, but I never felt they were worth the asking price then, and no where near the market price now.

I’ve never felt an out of the box High Power trigger that was anywhere close to a quality out of the box 1911 A1.
And I’ll take a 1911 grip safety over a HP mag safety any day.

This was originally posted in the semi-auto handgun discussion area. Since multiple responses have brought revolvers into the discussion, and the thread title didn't specify semi-auto, I have moved it to the General Handgun discussion area.

And there are folks who don't give a rodent's posterior what position Glock, or any other item holds in the market sales rankings.

(where is the gigglesnort smilie?? :D)

I thank the Fates I was not drinking anything when I read that line. Thank you for that bit of humor! :rolleyes:

If you actually believe great popularity is rarely based on false rumors, you need to take a better look at our culture (and stick to the last century or so to keep the numbers somewhat manageable) and look at politics, the entertainment industry, news reporting, economic "bubbles" and the entire idea of fan worship of people or things.

SO?? :rolleyes:

The OP asked for our opinions, market share doesn't matter to my opinion.
If market dominance is what you base your opinion on, then that's your opinion. I use other criteria to make my own opinions.

As far as I'm concerned, ANY maker of ANY thing who claims their product is "perfection" is overrating their product. No matter how many lemmings follow their lead.

Great example.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back