What's the most overrated handgun in your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tool

To me it is the CZ P-01. I bought it because of the overwhelming good reviews and the fact that it is on the NATO approved list.

This handgun fits my hand like a glove. However, the good story ends there. In my experience, it is very hard to reliably chamber a bullet into the barrel. The bullets will get stuck in all sorts of ways. It seems like it has a very tight throat. In comparison, I tried all sorts of ways to jam my HK VP9 even by riding the slide, but that thing just never fails.

I took the P-01 to the range and was surprised to see that it cycled ok in live rounds, as long as I could chamber the first bullet successfully. However, I also found something I really dislike about this gun. All the bullet shells would either fall on my head or hit my face. In a few cases, it nearly hit my eyes.

I also find lots of scratches on the slide where it contacts the lower half of the gun. I tried to reach out to CZ about these issues and they never bothered to get back to me.

Last edited:
It seems like it has a very tight throat.

It probably does, a short throat is common in CZs. If you are shooting anything but hardball, it will chamber hard or not at all. Reaming for more flexibility in ammo is a common gunsmith operation.

Many thanks for sharing. I didn't know this can be fixed by chamber reaming.

It probably does, a short throat is common in CZs. If you are shooting anything but hardball, it will chamber hard or not at all. Reaming for more flexibility in ammo is a common gunsmith operation.

I haven't tried any of the newer models, but back in the 90's I had a couple of CZ 75's. Largely based on the internet fanboys.

I didn't care for them at all. For one thing they had a batch of them get out the door during the 90's with bad springs. After replacing all of the springs in the guns and magazines they were more reliable but I never cared for the design.

The triggers were terrible. I didn't like that the beaver tail curved down and would dig into the web between my thumb and trigger finger when fired and I found the slide inside the frame to be hard to use.

At the time CZ's advertising claimed that they were one of the most used pistols in the world. Further research showed that they were approved to be used in a lot of places, but other than a handful of 3rd world countries almost none were actually issued to LE or military.

At the time they were selling for about 1/2 what a Glock, Sig, Beretta, or Smith were selling for. About the same price as the Ruger's. At those prices I took a chance on them. But the last ones I saw were selling for more than a Glock.

The most overrated handgun? Glock. Are Glock's great pistols? Yes they are. But there are dozens, if not scores of handguns out there that are every bit as great.

SIG P320.

My counterpoint to those who say Glock...It's not that highly rated except in the durability category.

Overrated...

Not trying to be a hater here but when I'm at the range and somebody is having a very bad time with an unreliable semi auto it's usually their shiny expensive Kimber. Been watching this for years( with some amusement and some pity) If they would drop a few bucks out of their advertising budget into QC I think it would put them in a better position.

I’ll send a late vote for the HP.
How this is considered an improvement over the 1911 I’ll never understand.

Python. Hands down. Popularity purely from aesthetics of the ribbed barrel and/or walking dead.

Trigger is awful. Trigger can't improve because of drop design.

I'm sure I'm wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back