What's the most incredible shots you've made/seen while hunting?

Little Bullet, Little Bird

I was at my dad's farm with my son. He was five or six at the time. I grabbed my dad's Remington 581 and some 22 shorts to impress my son.

On one of the large oak trees a blue jay had landed near the top of it, over fifty feet above the ground. My son and I were standing about one hundred yards away. I put a short into the chamber and leaned against the barn door. I advised my son to watch. I centered the bird in the crosshairs, and elevated the aim to compensate for the drop. I really, really had no thought of actually coming close to that bird. To my surprise the trigger pull resulted in a bird falling deader than a door nail.

My son was impressed. He asked me to try another similar shot. I told him we should not reduce the bird population all at once. :rolleyes:

West Texas Auadad hunt

This one is probably unbelievable, but I promise its true. When I was 12 my dad and I were sitting in a ground level deer blind on the side of a hill (West Texas). Two Turkey's came out about 500 yards away. It was starting to get late, and we hadn't seen anything all day. So I decided to try and take a shot. I had a winchester model 70 featherweight 270. I missed with the first shot and the Turkey started running back and forth. Looked like a chicken with his head chopped off. Anyway, next shot I dropped it. I stepped it off at just under 500 yards. I don't think I could ever make that shot again on a running Turkey at that distance. It was definatly luck. Of course there wasn't to much left of the Turkey. Another one was a couple of years later and my dad and I were hunting Auadad in the Glass mountains in West Texas. We jumped a trophy Auadad (31 in curl) and it started running directly away from us, probably about 75 yards away. Everytime it would top the hill, we took a shot at it but kept missing. On the last hill before it got out of site, the ram started over it. All we could see was his rear as it went over. My dad took on last shot at it and connected. Trailed it for about a mile before we finally found it. Doesn't sound that great until now. We never found a bullet hole in the hide if you know what I mean. Made a hole in one!!!

My brother and me were hunting on state lands just outside of Garland, Wyoming one morning. We spooked a band of 'lopes and away they bounded in single file across the prairie. I aimed at the lead doe and fired. The doe behind her turned into a tan and white cartwheel going end over end a couple times. My brother thought I was aiming at that one to this very day. S-s-h-h don't tell him it was a luck shot!
Jack :D

Last edited:
We were on a hunting trip in Wyoming, and as I came back to the cabin where my buddies were watching a movie, I looked through the window, and Sharon Stone shot a beaver, all the way from California! Very impressive. :p

On a more serious note, the best shot I remember was a buddy of mine shooting a pheasant. We were hunting with muzzleloading shotguns and had flushed two pheasants. I hit one with a caplock. My friend had a 20 gauge flintlock smoothbore, and a hangfire. By the time the gun went off the bird was about 50+ yards off, and had turned to a flightpath almost 90 degrees. He hit it with 7/8th oz of No. 8 shot in a cylinder bore. You really have to follow through with a flintlock smoothbore, even when all goes well! Click, klatch, *POOF*..............<time stands still>......*BOOM*

When I was young (16)

I guess i had read too much Jack O'Connor, and decided I needed a .270 as the best "all around gun",so I saved my pennies and bought a used Winchester 770(short barrel, carbine)...Had a cheap 3x9x (tasco?) scope mounted on it...Gun (or me) was never accurate, lucky to shoot 3'' groups at 100 yards......

Went out with my buddy on a nice spring day, took the .270, looking for woodchucks...We crested a hill and W-A-Y down the hill was a woodchuck, grazing...We were standing in grass about 3' high so I asked my buddy to sit, so I could use his shoulder as a rest...I held way high and touched one off...And sure as heck the woodchuck pretty much exploded (while my buddy said some REALLY bad words, the muzzleblast on that thing was wicked)... We paced it off at somewhere around 350 yards....Pure unadulterated dumb luck...but makes for good story telling!

P.S. My buddy harrassed me for along time, said his ears rang for days, probably some permanent damage to his hearing from that one,but, hey, we were young and stupid!

Turkey vultchers are protected where I live so this shot was illegal and immoral. But it was the best shot I've seen. He was perched 40ft up in a tree. My friend had just lost 2 kittens to something so he was trigger happy. He saw the bird from his couch through his window across the pond about 80yards away. Instead of grabbing his scoped savage 17, For some reason he went for the shotgun. This might make sense if the shell was loaded with bird or even buckshot, but it wasn't. He took out that bird with a slug with 1 shot. We ran over to it and I told him what it was, and he was honestly ashammed. But it was a great shot

I wouldn’t necessarily call it an incredible shot but it was my best one to date. My hunting buddy and my self turned the corner on one of the roads of his hunting club and we jumped two deer as we were cursing our luck he noticed a boar about 400 yards down the road so I jumped out and ran down the road to get a closer shot, I’m not the most fit guy by any means so the 100 yard dash I made while carrying my heavy barreled 30-06 and wearing hunting boots left me way out of breath. I drop to a prone position and use my rangefinder in my scope and range the animal at 275 yards away. I didn’t feel comfortable taking a shot like that with my heart rate making my scope dance around so I got up and snuck up a few more yards closer I again hit the ground in the prone position and range him again this time he is about 220 yards away and my heart had slowed down a bit so with him facing me I took the shot (now bare in mind that this boar would not sit still) hitting him in his back leg. He took off the best he could down the road jumping and weaving, I chamber another round and make the kill shot to his heart dropping him 240 yards away.

Two shots :

First shot was with my Sheridan. I was about 10 at the time , and was hunting alone for dove, bluejay, just anything really. I shot this blue jay, I kid you not, at about 80 yards with my Sheridan. I go over and pick the bird up, still surprised I made the shot. The freaking thing wakes up in my hand ! It grabs hold of the web of my thumb and begins to bite the crap out of me ; even after I opened my hand its still got a hold of me and wont let go. I started shaking my hand up and down and still it wont turn loose, it hurt soooo bad. So I sit down and with ONE HAND , I reload my Sheridan , and pump it 6 times. Then , with the bird dangling from my hand I shoot it again. At last it finally turned loose of my throbing hand. Thats how I learned to kick everything I shoot before I pick it up:D

Second Shot was with my .30-30 . We were hunting hogs. A sow walked out about 30 yards off the road I was standing on. I raised up and shot ; she dropped on the spot. I walked over to her ( and kicked her:p ) and notice a SECOND DEAD HOG . Turns out the second one was standing right behind her. Bullet passed through the first hogs throat, right where I aimed ; and hit the second hog right in the eye. Neither of them were really big, but it was the luckiest shot I've ever made.

I am on the wanted list for the Groudhog population

My best shot was on a windy day several years ago.
I have farmers call me in the spring and tell me where to go to hunt on there land.
I should add here that I am not that good a shot but just have a lot of chances.
Have a V77 ruger heavy barrel in 6mm rem that I use to end the lives of ground hogs. I have the gun sighted in for 300 yards with a chart that tells me where to sight in it shoting at 100. What that does for me is from 50 yards to 500 (not that I would take one that long) if a ground hog is standing up and I shot him center mass I have a good chance of hitting him.
Well one day with a friend hunting the evil ground hog, Ok we were sniping them I noticed one a LONG way away, farther than I had ever shot before. And that includes anything.
I placed the cross hares above him and touched it off and the bullet hit right where I was aming which was well beyond where he was.
"CRAP!"
He ran about 20 yards stoped and stood up and looked at the small cloud where the bullet hit and at that point I touched off the next one.
Well he diddnt walk away from that one and the price went up on my head throughout the ground hog comunity.
My friend and I both walked it off and between the two of us it was ether 420 or 445 yards.

Well,

If he ever reads this his head will explode as he's now mentioned twice in the same "great" shot thread.

But Ashley Emerson may well be one of the best instinctive pistol and iron sighted rifle shooters I've ever seen.

I watched him lay into a big bore hog with a .30-30 after trying to get one of our buddies attention before shooting himself. By the time he started levering rounds from his ole model 94 iron sighted of course, the boar was about 150 yards out. The boar was running out over an open field. I counted 8 rounds fired and the boar disapeared from sight on round 8. These were all fired so fast it sounded like a semi auto rifle going off.

Ashley hit that boar all eight times and the last shot was at a shade over 300 yards.

Second was a called head shot on a turkey at 50 yards with a S&W mod 63 22LR kit pistol. By the same guy.

My daughter(about 13) and I were walking along a mountain ridge in Nevada, a Raven came flying by she said shoot him Dad, I pulled my 1911 and cracked one off Whop!! he exploded ( not really! but there were feathers flyng) My dog ran down grabbed it, and immediatly spit it out:D I asked my daughter if she was supprised she said no!! I said well there was two that were, Who?? me and the raven.

A guy I know is one of the biggest . . . .

braggarts you have ever met. He is also a complete fool. However, his dad (passed away now) owned 1,500 acrea of prime hardwood hunting land. He invited me to go scouting for deer one fall and suggested we bring .22's for a few squirrels while we were at it. We were walking along and I was listening to his tales of 'rifle prowness'. Every time I shot a squirrel he'd say something like "man I couldn't get a shot at that one!" (or some other excuse for why he hadn't shot one yet). We came to a clearing that had powerlines running along the edge. There, in the distance, about 200 yards away sat a bird on one of the powerlines. He said "See that bird over there? The one on that wire?" I wasn't even sure it was a bird, it was that far away. "I'll bet you I can hit that bird" he exclaimed. I tried not to roll my eyes and with a sly smile said "OK, give it a try!". With one shot he killed that bird. The look of surprise on his face was even greater than my own. His eyes bugged out and his jaw dropped. He quickly recovered his composure and said "See told ya I can shoot!"

He didn't believe he could make that shot anymore than I did, but watching his reaction when he did it was priceless, and worth the risk I took just being in the woods with him carrying a loaded gun. The closest thing to a Barney Fife moment in an Andy Griffith episode I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Back