What's the hardest kicking handgun you have shot?

AERacing1813

Wondering what the hardest kicking / snappiest pistol's y'all have shot

for me personally, nothing more then a hot loaded 357mag from a 4" smith, nothing to bad, I want to move up and try out some real power houses!

I want to try one! or a air weight smith snub nose 357! no local ranges have them as rentals, nor do i ever see people with them :(

Hardest kicking? Probably my .454 Ruger SBH. Snappiest? Would have to say my Ruger SP101 2” with .357’s.

The 12 oz 357 snubs are painful to shoot because they are so light - i have one. but their recoil is nothing compared to large caliber magnums.

Handgun, technically, my TC Contender with a 10" 45-70 barrel.
The 35 Remington Super 14 barrel comes in second.
For a more traditional firearm it would have to be my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum with Winchester Supreme 250gr.

I've shot a few rounds from a 500S&W from the bench getting a handgun scope zeroed for a guy. I've shot a lot of .44Mag and put a few rounds through a .454 Casull. My first gun was a .357Mag revolver and I've shot thousands of full-power loadings through it over the years. I once shot 1000 rounds of 10mm in one day.

Honestly, of all the handguns I've shot over the years, my least favorite was a J-Frame S&W in .38Spl. Not even shooting +P, just with standard pressure ammo. Maybe it was a hand fit issue, I don't know. But I'd shoot several boxes of .44Mag or 100 rounds of full power .357Mag through my GP100 before I'd put a cylinder's worth through a J-Frame .38spl.

.458 Win Mag, full length, chambered in a custom Remington XP-100 single shot bolt action. Fired one "mid range" loaded with a 350 gr cast bullet, and one round with a full 500 gr jacketed solid. One of each was plenty, fired from creedmoor position, the elbow pad was welcome!

My buddy had some kind of tiny .380, maybe a Beretta?

It was downright nasty to shoot. Each shot was like being smacked in the hand with a hammer. None of us were willing to fire more than a single magazine through it, and those last couple rounds in the mag were a struggle.

Not the most powerful handgun I have shot but the most unpleasant is/was my 2.75" Ruger Speed Six with full power .357 factory loads or my reloads with maximum charge of Lil' Gun powder....it's not a light weight "snubby" either at about 33 ounces.

I would imagine shooting a light weight snubby with those loads would be no fun. The .357 is somewhat over bore capacity and the relatively small bore/large case causes a loud report which IMO is worse than any perceived recoil.

Owned a 4 3/4 inch 454 Casull for a while. You would pull the trigger and the barrel would be pointing straight up in the air from the rotation in your hand. I loved the 454's when they first hit the market and owned a bunch of them....but that one got traded off !
Also had a derringer in 45/70 and .410 calibers.....that 45/70 barrel seemed to make the pistol want to separate your thumb from your index finger....

Back