Whats the best Safety type for a Combat Shotgun?

SAFETY not about tac shots

The only safety I use for any of my home defense weaps is simply the empty chamber or open breech storage. I then practice my dry fire multi angle multi position engagement remember if you live in a single story drop to a knee before you fire.

If you are becoming some lone ranger making a tac 500, considering the many nice choices in semi autos out there you are way off a saiga 20 12 will cover all options really folding semi high cap ...

Most shotgun safeties are NOT REALLY DROP SAFE. They usually block only the trigger and if the parts are old or badly worn things can go bang.

But... an old post on this site said:

MILITARY SPECIFICATION, SHOTGUN, 12 GAGE, RIOT-TYPE

3.17.6 Rouqh handlinq. Shotguns shall be capable of
withstanding the impact when dropped from a height of four feet
onto a hard surface without causing the weapon to be unsafe or
unserviceable. This shall apply throughout the temperature range
of -20 to +120"F. Type I shotguns shall include M7 bayonet and
scabbard as specified in 3.3.1.b.

4.6.7 Rouqh handlinq. After completion of the performance
test, three weapons shall be chosen and subjected to the rough
handling test. Each weapon will have the safety a primed
cartridge case in the chamber and a fully loaded magazine. One
weapon shall be conditioned at -20"F, one at ambient and one at
+120°F for a minimum of four hours prior to the test. The
weapons shall be dropped a minimum distance of four feet (lowest
point on the weapon to the drop surface) in each of the following
five modes: butt end down, right side down, left side down, top
side down, and 45 degree angle with vertical plane - butt end
down. The drop surface shall be 85 + 5 Durometer (Shore A)
rubber mat, one inch thick, backed by concrete. At the test's
conclusion, the weapon must be safe and serviceable and the
primed shell shall not have fired.

The Performance test is not clearly outlined, but I believe it is the Endurance test:

4.6.5 Endurance test. Shotguns shall be tested for endurance requirement (see 3.17.5) by firing 3000 rounds of ammunition.

I'm partial to the 870, having been trained on that model & carried it for a number of years. Our issue weapon has the standard stock, however. If you're using a pistol grip full stock, I think your hand is likely to be closer to the trigger guard in such a position that the safety button will be too close. In that situation, you might have to contort your index finger to hit it. With a pistol grip stock, you might be better served with a safety on the front of the trigger guard (Does Winchester have that?). I have a Mossberg and the safety setup is adequate, but once again, it is really designed for a conventional stock, not a pistol grip.

Nice!

Thanks again for all the input gang. @xMinorxThreatx thanks for the PM. I might go with the 500 from walmart. I saw a 410 and 20 ga there for only $217! The guys didn't have a 500 but said I could buy one online and site-to-store ship it, but they don't let you get guns online. Hmmm...anyhow. To @fATAL I would love to get a Saiga 12, but its a little out of my price range right now.

Just for kicks, have any of you seen this video series by Magpul? Art of the Dynamic Shotgun, and looks pretty intense! Wish I had this training under my belt! ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XCv0X6SqUg :D:D

:D beyond funny, those guys are hilarious. Something for me to schedule in for next year.

Re: topic, I've done IPSC shotgun in Standard Manual division for quite a bit. While the gun handling isn't always entirely compatible with combat tactics, I would recommend not to combine the Mossberg-type safety with a pistol grip stock and even call it a no-brainer.

You just need to be able to manipulate the safety to "off" without altering your grip on the gun and IMHO that means both hands. Going on safe isn't that critical though.

My advice:

Pick one and stick with it.

I started with the 870 "type" safety at work and since that's what I used at work, it's what I use at home. Now that I am free to use what I want, no longer working for that agency, I stick with what I have the most time with.

Before you pick one or the other I suggest watching, "The Art of the Dynamic Shotgun" by MagPul. If you watch close enough you will see why certain shotguns fare better in tactical situations, but not necessarily because of the safety.

Also, get some trigger time and manipulation time with any platform you are considering. Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide on.

Biker

I prefer the Mossberg type thumb safety but I had the flimsy plastic Mossberg safety replaced with solid metal ones. The downside is that Mossberg recoils more than 870 due to lighter receiver.

On 870, I have the VCS jumbo safety.

I would recommend shortening the stock(wood instead of plastic) and thinning the grip area very slightly and having Pachmayr Decelerator pad installed for faster mounting/more comfort.

I find shorter LOP (around 12.5") much faster to mount than the factory LOP(I'm 5'10"/170lb/medium hands/long arm but look lighter than actually is).

I would recommend the following type of drills:
OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD BASICS said:
- basics: bring the gun to your LOS(Line of Sight) once you acquire the target and don't move your head, and shift the focus from target to front sight(don't worry about the waver(even Olympic class shooters waver) but focus on maintaining LOS(Line of Sight) PARALLEL with LOF(Line of Fire)/bore axis)

- making the correct mount(toe of the stock in the shoulder muscle pocket) natural and consistent, even in low light condition

- learning to assess(front part of shotgun slightly lowered for better visibility to observe your surrounding unobstructed) and bringing the shotgun to point of aim lighting fast(instinctive) when you see the target

- ability to turn left/right/180 degree back w/o sweeping those around you

- ability to bring the shotgun to target naturally even going from standing to lying on your back(like when pushed/tackled and you fall over)

- ability to shoot the shotgun naturally in kneeling(both left and right side), squatting, sitting, standing on your knees, etc.(you can't always choose your position and you want mobility/utilization of cover maximized)

- ability to maximize usage of cover for both strong and weak side(this is where I see weakness in competition shooting(quite often, exposure can be dramatically reduced))

- ability to shoot on the move(bent knee/shock absorber technique)

- ability to shoot with weak hand, using strong side eye/shoulder in case strong side arm is injured, and vice versa(this is one instance where pistol grip shotgun is much easier to do although it's still doable with regular stock w/o being a weight lifter)

- shooting when moving backward(shuffle backward, feeling the way back with your rear leg as you move backward and shoot)

When you shoot, you want to be as unemotional and relaxed as possible, like cutting a slab of meat that you are going to cook for dinner. When you are tense and all bunched up, you are basically fighting against yourself and is being inefficient in the worst possible way(slower reaction, poor mechanical efficiency unless you are a caveman swinging a club, LOL).

Shooting is a fine motor control skill and under stress, fine motor control skill goes downhill and gross motor control skill takes over, increasing group size by as much as 40%.

In movies and TV, shooters routinely expose themselves and is shouting and is super emotional, but in real life, that's not the way to go. You want to shoot/fight as if you were cooking and/or going about daily, routine task.

You want your moves to be unpredictable(depend on mobility but don't be consistent about it because then your opponent can time you and anticipate your moves) and maximize cover as much as possible.

Last edited:
I like the trigger guard type like the 870 has simply because I am used to it and I have not had a problem with it. Putting a big button on it makes it a bit easier. I have nothing against the tang safety at all, but I have had tang safeties on Mossbergs fail on me twice by having the recoil bounce it to safe from fire. The first time was really a series of failures at a 2 gun match, the other time was while turkey hunting. Different Mossberg. Luckily the first shot anchored the bird.

I'm sure some smithing would cure either of those 2 Mossbergs just fine.

When I've shot a tang safety/pistol grip stock gun like the Mossberg has, I kept my fingers on the pistol grip and moved my thumb up to work the button.

Not something i really thought about or trained for. That's just the way I did it. And it works with either hand fine.

safety

maybe i have long fingers but on the mossbergs the thumb safety is great....forward with thumb is shoot.....and i do not have to take my hands off gun or move them other than thumb to turn safety off

I would likely prefer the trigger-guard style if I had a full pistol grip stock, but since I don't plan to add one to my 930 SPX, I like the tang safety fine.

I don't use a safety on my HD shotgun. I leave the slide locked and the tube fully loaded when it's not trap season. During trap season, since I only have the one shotgun, I keep the gun unloaded, with the action open, and 5 shells on the butt cuff and an extra 5 on the side saddle. Of course, the loaded .357 is under the bed in case of a real time crunch with getting to the shottie.

Same here.. Benelli Nova pump has a loaded tube, locked up on an empty chamber, safety off. I live alone, no children, so I'm okay with that. I compare it to carrying a Glock with an empty chamber, pretty darn safe as long as you're the only one with access to it.

To get it into action, I hit the catch and give it a pump. Much easier than manipulating the trigger guard safety.

Of all the different ones I've shot- I prefer the early Stevens 520-30 type, which is similar to the Garand.

On my HD 870, it's hammer down on an empty chamber, loaded tube, safety off. Cycle it and you're ready to go.

Back