what's everyone using this year?

For Maine whitetails, .270 Win, 130 grain Ballistic Tips ahead of a healthy dose of Reloder 22. It will be used in an accurized Remington 700 BDL Stainless with a Leupold VX2 3-9x scope.

I'm with Mobuck - 25-06 but mine is a Ruger #1V. It's my reach out and touch something gun.

Woods gun is a Marlin Guide Gun - 45-70.

I’ll probably stay with my 260 this year. Nosler 120 gr BTs over R17. Shot a very nice fat 9 point this morning at 260 yards. Had bucks and does all over me this morning.

I’m in east central Texas, way out in the boondocks.

My 15 year old son took a doe this weekend with my dad's old Winchester 88 in .308 win. He saw a ton of deer over 2 days hunting but only 2 bucks 300 plus yards. He split the heart in half at 94 yards.

I started with a 6.5 Creedmoor, but it had too long LOP.
Switched to MarkX .270 and 150 grn Btip from Nosler for second day in which I took the 8 point, 230 yd straight into lungs behind shoulder, took out heart, lungs but never exited...

My main thing to take out with me is a belt that fits like a girdle, so I can manage to carry stuff around. Threw out my back and have been fighting my way through it.
I am taking my 6.5 Creedmore for part of the hunting time, and will switch off to my .62 caliber English sporting rifle and black powder.
Hopefully I'll score something worthwhile this year, as I have decided this is going to be my last year for deer hunting. I'm 72 years old now and still trying to be very independent...but age is taking it's toll. I'll continue with a little hog stuff from here on out, but the deer will be on their own.

Hailing form MN I went out with my AR with some 5.56 barnes barnes VOR-TX on opening weekend. I saw tons of yearlings and a small doe. My uncle's scope broke on his rifle so last minute I let him use my 700 in 7 rm. Of course he dicked up my scope somehow so it came off after opening weekend. After opener my uncle was done so I went back to using my 7mm with the iron sights. I saw a fair few more deer but nothing withing 700 yards. Hunting over bean fields and corn can be a pain some days. I did take a finishing shot on a running spike for a neighbor but that was about it for me. I'm getting prepped for muzzleloader now with my cheapy buckstalker in .50 with 295gr powerbelts and about 100gr of powder. I forget what kind off the top of my head. Here's hoping I have some luck with getting enough days off from work. This mandatory OT may make me regret buying my tag if I can't get out and use it now.

I am using a Browning BLR White Gold Medallion in 308 topped with a Leupold VX2 3X9. Already shot one deer. Going back out in the field Friday to avoid the black Friday crowds .

And Remington core lotk 180 grain.

Last edited:
When the weather is nice: Win 70 in 358 Win (200 Grain Hdy SP)
When it’s wet: Win 70 Extreme Weather in 308 (165 Grain Sierra GKBT)

Same 8mm Mauser as always. Although for the first time in many years, there is a new commercial load available in the US:

Norma EcoStrike all copper 160 gr @ 2830 fps. I'm expecting good things from it. :D

For the main firearms season I took a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington and took a doe. For the bonus doe season (we get up to 3 tags) I'll probably be bringing the Marlin 444ss.

Since I responded earlier I have taken two very nice whitetail with the RAR 7mm-08. But I may be switching my load from the Federal Vital-Shock Ballistic Tips 140 grn. to perhaps a Federal Fusion 120 grn. The Vital shocks are causing an unexpected amount of damage. Not that I'm complaining too much... until this year, with this load, I thought the term "bang flop" was a bit of an exaggeration. Not so now! Both deer took a combined total of 1 step. But both had silver dollar size exit wounds, and one had fragmented rib pieces in a good portion of the exit-side loin.

Given that I may not have the opportunity to zero a different load, I may finish the season with the good 'ol combo of a Savage 110 .243 with 80 grn Winchester Super X off the shelf from Wallyworld.

Or I'll save a tag or two for late muzzleloader.

But the weather has been nice, it's been a beautiful season so far, and either way I'm having as much fun as I ever have during deer season.

Happy Hunting, Folks!

A 257 Weatherby for pronghorns & 338 Win mag for elk,moose and mulies. A 270 win for sheep. A 6X on the 257 & 270. A 3x7 on the 338.

I don't hunt anymore. My wife is disabled and I spend most of my time caring or her.

But if I was, I'd carry the same Sears-Roebuck 12 gauge pump, loaded with 3" Number 1 buckshot, I've always carried.

I do miss the sound of a pack of Walkers.

Back