what's everyone using this year?

I took a big doe earlier this year with a .50 muzzleloader throwing a 385 grain Great Plains bullet over 90 grains of Pyrodex R.

I was holding a Remington 700 in .308 with Hornady's American Whitetail ammo yesterday when I watched six does and one little eight point but decided not to shoot any of them.

My wife is using her tried and true Ruger .243 with my hand loads. I have been using a sharp knife so far, on her button buck. Otherwise it will depend on my mood or whim should I decide to go.

I'll be using a Remington Gamemaster 141 and my son will be using a Marlin 336. Both in 35 remington. Antlered rifle season is only a short 5 days on this side of PA. It doesn't even include a Saturday.:(

Mule deer hunt this year, hunted with 243 Win with some 90 grain SP, and .375 H&H with 280’s.

No luck for me, but my nephew dropped a really nice 4 point 500 yard out of camp with his ‘06 and 150’s, and my brother dropped a spike with his .338 Win Mag at about 30 yards.........don’t think he had enough gun for that one.

hunting already

Been hunting already with the bow. Mathews FX-60 lbs, carbon arrows, 4" vanes, and , of all things....vintage Bear Razorheads. Two does in the freezer.

Tomorrow, there will be a first of its kind, pre rifle season, BP hunt on the WMA near my home. I hope to take a T/C .50 Renegade which found it's way home after a 20 yr absence. Either sex hunt, and the WMA has a "3 pts to a side rule" for bucks.

For centerfires, I have never killed a deer with the Model 14, .30 Rem pump, the rifle from my youth. I better do it soon, as my eyes and its dinky bead/buckhorn combo do not get along so well.

After that, I am giving serious thought to a "tactical season". Scout scoped Garand for a heavy rifle, maybe the PSL too. For a light rifle, the Mini30, (nothing new there, I hunt it most years), and get this........a scout scoped AK!!!!!!!

We can rifle hunt from 18Nov-10Feb. Three buck limit, unlimited does. Lots of the time, I contiue to hunt the WMA with the bow, as it has limited gun hunts, but is open for archery. But the hills are steeper, the climbing stand is heavier, and the drags (no ATV's off road) intimidating. Bamaboy, my main "mule", has gone off and got him a real job and is not available to help his poor old Dad so much anymore.

I used my Stevens 200 in .30-06 here in MN last week to break a 9 year dry spell of mine. I bought this rifle 6 years ago to hunt the rifle zone and finally filled a tag with it. Loaded 165gr Gamekings on top of IMR4064. My shot took out the top of her heart and both lungs at 30 yards. Knees buckled and she tipped right over. Never took a step!
08d97d155b1276d04a030cded9751e32.jpg

I couldn’t be happier!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunted opening weekend with both of my sons and dropped a decent 8 point mid day yesterday with my trusty old .307 Winchester 94 Big Bore.
For a rifle that has never been what anyone could consider a tack driver with factory ammunition or my hand loads, this one has taken more deer than all of my other rifles but one and is unquestionably one of my favorites.

If I find myself in range it'll be my 6" GP100. 158 grain xtp over some h110. If not it'll probably be my 270. Hornady spire points over some 4350.

1st buck .300wsm 700 XCR with Trijicon 4-16X50 Accupoint
2nd Buck Remington 700 custom 7mm08 w/ NF 4-14X50 SHV F1
3rd Buck Sako 85 FinnBear 7mmRM w/ S&B Stratos 2.5-13X56
1st pig same as 3rd buck

Got to draw blood with the Sako 85 Finnlight .300wm I replaced the .300wsm with. After that I've got a few others that need to get out some.

I have a rifle problem.

Using my Savage 110 lefty chambered in 7mm Rem Mag with a 3X9 Nikon Monarch.

Dropped a doe yesterday at 45 yards or so using Winchester Silver Tips. Created one hell of an exit wound and the doe was dead before she hit the ground.

Hope to get back out and use my custom built 300 Blackout for a second deer.

Rifle season for white tail starts this Sat for me.

Looks to be a .308 DS Arms FAL this year, no particular reason other than something different.

Last year I went with my recently inherited Grandpa's 1953 Winchester 64, and bagged my first antlered buck with it. It was his deer rifle he used in Michigan, so it was nice to continue the tradition with a new heirloom.

VA rifle season where I am starts this Saturday - I'll be out with a Ruger American 7-08 with 140 grn Win ballistic Silver Tips. We got lucky with 2 whole weeks of doe days here, so I'm pretty stoked!

16 day antlered deer season here. Using Marlin 1894 44 Mag. Muzzleloader season in December for 9 days, using a TC White Mountain carbine.

I shouldn't read threads like this. I start out jealous, and then get mad. We can't use rifles here in Illannoy, and our first season is only 3 days long.

I'll be using my Beretta Pintail- an inertia operated semi auto 12 gauge. It has a fully rifled barrel topped with a Nikon scope. I got that particular scope because it has 5" of eye relief. I'm currently using it with 3" Federal Fusion sabot slugs, though I believe the gun should be capable of better accuracy than I've been getting with 'em.

I may also bring my Freedom Arms .454 Casull in case a close opportunity presents itself. I generally use 250 grain Hornady XTP's over W296 at around 1675 fps.

Muzzle loader season is later, and I'd been using a Knight inline .54 with home cast Minnie balls in the past. But dad wants me to try using the Savage 10ML with smokeless powder. His is a real tack driver.

Man, I wish I could use one of my centerfire rifles.

I lived in Illinois for 4 years. The regulations for white tail hunting are tough but you guys grow some monsters! Good luck out there all. Thanks for the responses

for roedeer premiere cz 527 in 223 (norma oryx)
3 this rifle season and 2 more for shotgun (dog) season

for moose browning blr 358win (hornady IIRC)
schultz&larsen 6,5x55
2 down with the blr and two down with the 6,5 (oryx)

Back