What would you have done?

Would you have declared your CCW to the Sheriff?

• Yes. It's the prudent choice. Better safe than sorry.

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • No. There is no reason to tell them. It just complicates the situation. You aren't obligated.

Votes: 26 72.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My state of Virginia does not require notification. I keep a pistol in my center console (which in this state does not require a CCW permit but I do have one) and do not inform LEOs unless they ask.

My driving paperwork is behind my visor above the steering wheel so that I do not have to lean over to the glove box while the officer is approaching. I simply remove my wallet from my back pocket and place it along with the paperwork on the dash, place my hands high on the steering wheel, and wait for the officer to arrive, then follow his/her instructions. I don't even take my driver's license out of the wallet because I want to minimize arm and hand motion until the officer arrives.

If I was carrying on my person and asked to leave the vehicle (or stopped while walking) I would immediately inform the officer that I was carrying and have a valid permit in my wallet, then ask how they want to proceed. It just doesn't seem necessary when it is in the center console.

Do your best, in your best ways

Regardless of what some folks think, we all profile and it's only natural. I would say that LEO's are masters at profiling folks and that is a compliment. The last time I got pulled over the profiling started on both ends. When the LEO returned my license, he commented; The way you were driving, I thought you were some Punk-Faced kid. I smiled and thanked him for the compliment. Did not hurt that my much "Vintage" in-laws were in the back seat. I got off with a warning. :)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Driver hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel, windows down

LEO..” blah blah blah, i need your DL, Reg and proof of ins.
Driver...”Absolutly, before i reach for that, i have a permit, and am carrying what would you like me to do?”

That sets the tone of the encounter as non-threatening and corporative.

Ive been on both sides of that conversation and it works well for both sides.

Yep. I have yet to encounter one who did care and they all appreciated being informed.
If weapon is properly carried or stowed, there is no reason for it to ever be seen during a routine stop/encounter with L.E.

Back