What Would You Do?

If you set your place up right, it will make it very hard for a person to get into your house and grab anyone at any time.

These scenarios only make me belive most people do not plan ahead or take everything into consideration when buying a place.

The best offense is a better defense, keep them out and you have little to worry about.

Years ago, . . . I made some absolute decisions about these kinds of situations, . . . "No member of my family will become / stay a hostage while there is life in my body" is one of them. "I will not surrender my gun" is another one. "Nobody is leaving with a member of my family as a shield" is another one.

Caving in to the whims of an already proven child kidnapper is just asking for far worse to happen.

If it is my hallway, . . . my child, . . . the bg is getting shot, . . . then, there, and collateral will be collateral.

About 46 years ago, I learned that incoming rounds have a habit of changing the minds of people hell bent on hurting you. It also changes their minds and their attitudes usually quite efficiently. Bg's at my place can only expect "incoming" until they decide to be "outgoing".

May God bless,
Dwight

Like I said, get a dog, solves the problem. If it don't shoot the SOB right throughthe brainpan, he has left you no choice. Those that say that they will engage in conversation, If I see a person pointing a gun at my wife, or my baby girl, or, and it is hard to even type this, my grandaughters, dead is the only way they leave my home. And I do not consider myself a Baddass, or whatever. I am a fifty-three year old man who cannot stand or walk properly. But I am the head of my family, I am entrusted to keep my family safe. If you mess with Katy or Natascha,(MY Grandaughters) someone is gettin shot.:mad:No ifs, ands, or buts.
Willy

Last edited:
Dwight 55,
You have said it better than I did, and you used a lot less words!!:D
The reason I am armed and have trained myself, and took training is that I can look at my family in the eye and tell them that I will not allow harm to come to them as long as I can breathe.
Willy

"Sleeping soundly next to your spouse, you are awakened by terrified screams coming from the other end of your house. In an instant you realize the commotion is coming from your child's bedroom. With your heart pounding, you grab your carbine and move down the hallway as your spouse calls 911. An then, illuminated by your weapon mounted light, you see your worst nightmare in the form of a madman using your daughter for a shield and holding a pistol to her head.He screams at you to drop your gun as he tightens his grip on the throat of the most precious person in your life. What will you do?"

#1 - NEVER give up your gun. That kind of crap only works in the movies.
#2 - That's why I have a Streamlight TLR-2 on my nightstand pistol.

Bottom line - The guy will be stopped one way or another.

Where does this stuff come from, Hollywood?

I've been woken by commotion and nightmare screaming many times. I can't imagine the situation would have been helped had I responded to my child's bedroom with a tacti-cool AR or any other prominent weapon. After all, I was responding to calm his nerves, not scare the bejesus out of him. What do you do when a child busts through your door in the middle of the night? Open fire?

Some of you guys need to consider moving if you think you have to respond to "bumps in the night" armed to the teeth. YMMV

forethought helps

I'll skip the what would you do, everybody seems to be more or less in accord with that part. What I have done is involve my entire family before any such problem may arise. My wife and kids were taught that if they are held by a BG and I am standing in front of them with a firearm, they should close their eyes. Unburned powder and crap is going to be flying out at high velocity in a short range shot, let's try not to blind our loved ones. I also mentioned slumping a bit (as in faking fainting) to expose more of the BG. We even rehearsed a couple of times. Training at the range is critical before this kind of situation occurs. Once it happens, it's too late.

Make sure you know your sight offset! (especially those of you with ARs with high mounted sights/optics)

I've seen experienced shooters put shots into the hostage target at 3-5 yards...and I've done it too. That drop at 5 yards can get you!

Where does this stuff come from, Hollywood?

There's a lot of different variables, but if you heard screaming coming from your child's room, you wouldn't investigate while armed? I don't think anyone said to kick the door down and run into the room with gun at the ready and begin blasting away.

Make sure you know your sight offset! (especially those of you with ARs with high mounted sights/optics)

I've seen experienced shooters put shots into the hostage target at 3-5 yards...and I've done it too. That drop at 5 yards can get you!

Raimius, I Find this very interesting. Can you elaborate a little on the drop you speak of for us learners?

Raimius, I Find this very interesting. Can you elaborate a little on the drop you speak of for us learners?

I think he's referring to when a long gun is sighted in at 100 yards and you either have a high scope mount or a high sight like an AR. The bullet will be hitting higher (sometimes much higher depending on distance) than the laser's dot when you are targeting a much shorter distance.

I've been woken by commotion and nightmare screaming many times.

Why yes I have, just the other night thanks to the jason vs freddie movie my 8 year old was watching while I was outside plowing the snow.....

Now imagine his reaction if I ran in there with a rifle locked and loaded?

Kids often wake up like this at the age of about 7 till say 14. My daughter would wake up screaming bloody murder cause a tree branch scrapped the rooftop..... :( yeah buddy, rush in with the ar15 and a 30 rounder ready to rock and roll.....

My wife would have shot me.........

She has her own gun and a box or two of ammo......

To be honest, this situation would definitely cause me to pause. I am not sure that I have enough confidence in my shooting abilities to be able to make a headshot on a criminal holding a loved one as his personal shield. I would like to think that I would be able to pull the shot off, but I just don't know.

That's a terrible situation to be in!

On an AR-15 with an A2 carry handle, the sights are approximately 2.6 inches above the bore. If your rifle is sighted at 50 yards, you will need to aim above where you want the bullet to impact at any target inside 50 yards. At seven yards, your bullet will impact about 2 inches lower than where your sights indicate.
You can use this to visualize it a little better: http://ballisticscalculator.winchester.com/
Adjust the ranges down to 50, and set the sight height to the appropriate number.

If you have a higher mounted optic (like an aimpoint), your offset might be more like 3 inches at the muzzle.

Back