What would you do when bail bondsmen break into your home looking for someone who used your address?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am generally a fan of Greg Ellifritz and his activeresponsetraining.net site, and the above article is no exception.

However, the last photograph in the article shows an interesting paradox. The photo shows a SWAT team which I think is from another country. It is a large and well equipped team with many members, matching uniforms, full gear, and lead by a shield bearer. It is pretty convincingly a real law enforcement team. However, it appears that all the members of the team have their weapon mounted flashlights attached with duct tape. In the US, if I saw weapon mounted lights attached with duct tape, I would pretty much assume that I was not looking at real government agents.

I watched the video. I would have called 911 and reported a break-in. The "Agents" were all wearing bullet proof vests. They appear to have been armed. I'm not good enough to make 3 head-shots at people who are wearing clothing that say "Agents" and be certain that I am not firing on law enforcement officers.

Path of least resistance, the person you seek is not here and has not been for decades come on in and look for yourselves, just to NOT make a mess.

P5 Guy said:
Path of least resistance, the person you seek is not here and has not been for decades come on in and look for yourselves, just to NOT make a mess.
First, you must be a very trusting person to be able to assume that the thugs banging on the door are what they claim to be. Second -- do you really think they won't toss the place looking for a skip they somehow (for erroneous reasons) believe is hiding in your house?

Sir, without any intention to be derogatory, I think you are very naive. Bounty hunters (which is what bail enforcement agents are) are -- as a class -- scum of the earth. You have to take that into account is assessing a potential course of action.

That's a good point. In the case, here, you had law enforcement presence also. That probably means they are legit if wrong. A shootout with them would have unintended consequences. Greg's article makes the point of ID with the local law.

I didn't go back and re-watch the video, but as I recall, the bondsmen didn't claim to be police. One of my major problems with their behavior is that even if they are exactly who they claim to be, licensed/certified/etc. bond recovery agents, they have no right to enter the home. And again, I'm under no obligation to believe that random strangers on my doorstep are who they say they are.

I've seen mentions of the police being on scene, though I didn't see them myself. I'm troubled by this, because the lack of intervention on the part of the police tells me that the police believe the entry to be lawful. Incorrect, IMNSHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back