What would be the best Milsurp Rifle?

Tikkirocker this is from the OP

I want to get your opinions of what the best milsurp would be in terms of accuracy, availability, ammo cost and how easy it is to find, and spare parts assuming the rifle is too expensive to just replace if it breaks.

And here's you.

the issue has nothing to do with quality, but rather legacy.

Imho the OP intended this thread to be about quality, not legacy, hence my post.

Err no ... here's me ...

Get em all, one of each ... that's where my collection has gone but my main area of interest is the Enfield rifles. I have out shot scoped modern rifles from the off hand position at 200 yards at my range using my 1942 Lithgow No1 MkIII* using irons ... much to the chagrin of those further down the line. No problems with accuracy and Enfields, I load my own ammo as well.

( I don't really class the K31 as a Milsurp ... as it was not used by a combatant nation and never really saw dedicated action - it's a nice target rifle, but not really a legit battle rifle )

Tiki.

My comments regarding the K31 were an aside, I was making a distinction since the OP may want a rifle that has a proven combat record, both practically and historically speaking. As I said ... no room for straw men here.

I also stated get em all, because many collectors I know have rifles of just about every type - including yours truly. Any rifle can be accurized with care and attention and parts and ammo can be found for all of them as well. The answer to the OP's question is 'how long is a piece of string?'. I gave my two penneth.

If you can't abide differing views you may want to direct your replies to someone else.

Tiki.

Last edited:
If you can't abide differing views you may want to direct your replies to someone else.

I thrive on disagreement. I am personally a very disagreeable person:D

You seem to have a similar trait.

I thrive on disagreement. I am personally a very disagreeable person

You seem to have a similar trait.

Well now, it appears we've found a common trait - perhaps we can be friends after all ... ;)

Tiki.

The best milsurp rifles

If you have the means, collect them all; if your shooting, consider your ammo expenses, esp. exotic calibers. I started collecting them a few years back, but finally, accepted my mistake; I should have collected M1s and M14s, the real battle rifles, and they are a beauty, and a joy to shoot at the range or in the field, plus 30-06 and 7.62x51 are easy to reload. I started teaching a batch of youths to become riflemen using .22s; they are now ready for the M1A (M14 clone), this Summer. These 2 rifles are my life (my partner) and I will be sharing them to this future riflemen. Part of the lesson will be the M14 receivers, I have in my collection, that was destroyed by our government. It will brings tears to a grown man seeing these so-called paperweights. I am really out of topic, but we need to save these rifles from destruction.

No respectable collection would be complete, or even off to a good start for that matter, without an M1 Garand. They can be had relatively cheaply right now through the DCM/CMP. Join a club, shoot a match or 2 and you can buy one through the mail. If you really interested in collecting get you Curios and Relicts FFL. It costs $30 bucks and you can do it through the mail. Forms are down loadable off the internets for free. Now anyone can send you a any weapon that is over 50 years old and has collector value through via common carrier. I've bought Colt 1911 through the mail. The first time you don't have to pay an FFL for a transfer you've made your money back.

Since you already have 91/30s, Finn M-39. Find out what the M-N really could have been. Check out MG42's aperature sight leaf and front sight set too. Cannot beat 7.62x54R for price and versatility.

But, you need to get your 03 and basically get one or three of all of them. Just keeping up with all the ammo gets to be a hobby of its own.

This is a completely personal decision. I have a few milsurps. My favorites are the US Army milsurp rifle as I love the history that goes along with them. I currently have a M1 Garand and US Remington 1903A3. I still need a Krag, 1903, 1917, and M1 Carbine. When that is accomplished I will try to get one of each of the different manufacturers. Also, if I ever get the money, I would love one of the few M14s that managed to make it to civilian hands!

Best value for the dollar? A walnut K31 with above average stock and VG+ barrel (inside), matching numbers across the rifle-including the bolt!
A soldier's tag would make a nice bonus...

your best investment right now would be U.S. made issue firearms. If you wait too long they will be priced way too high to get a fairly priced shooter grade gun.

One other piece of advice is start socking away a little money now for the next milsurp that hits the market that way you'll be able to get them cheap the first go around rather than pay twice a few years down the road. If I would have done this when I first started collecting I would be miles ahead.

Back