What would be the best Milsurp Rifle?

Milsurplover

Inactive
Hey guys, this is my first visit to TFL so nice to meet yall. Anyway... I've been wondering... I want to get into collecting Milsurp firearms because I just love historic rifles! (The only 2 I own right now are 91/30 Nagants but I love em'!) I want to get your opinions of what the best milsurp would be in terms of accuracy, availability, ammo cost and how easy it is to find, and spare parts assuming the rifle is too expensive to just replace if it breaks. I am ignorant in the case of milsurps so... all your answers and insight is appreciated!

I own quite a few milsurps. It would be very hard to pick "the best". My K31 is the most accurate - heck, it's more accurate than a lot of my modern bolt guns. The Mosin is pretty accurate, plus, I can use it to chop wood and paddle my canoe. If I put the bayonet on it, I can roast a small pig using the bayo as a spit. The No. 4 Mk I* SMLE is the easiest to carry; it balances just right. The K98s and the Type 99 have non-rotating claw extractors and are extremely reliable. The Steyr M95 is short and handy, and the straight-pull action is fast. The 1903A3 shoots my favorite hunting cartridge as does the Garand, which feeds my nostalgia. The M1 Carbine is the most fun centerfire plinker I own.

I don't think there is a "best". I think you need to own a bunch of milsurps so that you can enjoy all their traits.

Milsurplover,

If I were you - These would be at the top of my list:

8x57 German Mauser 98k
6.5x55 Swedish Mauser m96
7.5x55 Swiss K31 Schmidt-Ruben
.303 British P14 Enfield

PS: for pure shooting fun I'd add a 22LR Romanian 1969 Trainer

If the 8mm 98K is a bit too spendy, consider the VZ-24. As with all rifles, accuracy varies amongst individuals, but as a whole, I think that the VZ-24 is the equal of the 98K, just without the notoriety.

Look out for Enfields too. They can be quite accurate, although surplus ammo has dried up.

While I love LOVE the M1 Garand, my favorite is the Enfield No.5Mk.1 jungle carbine. It carries wonderfully, has excellent sights that I find easier to adjust than anything else I own, and its, surprisingly, VERY accurate. I'm still working on loving my K31, its showing potential, but i've not had enough range time with it yet to fall for it.

GregM

That is entirely subjective and going to be based to a degree on your life experiences. IMO the "best" is a M-1 Garand. By best I mean the last one I would want my collection to be without.

This is purely subjective and personal choice, but I think the M-1 is the most fun surplus rifle I have shot. For me I also like the American heritage, the complexity and the workmanship that went into it. I did not expect to like it as much as I do when I bought it. After hefting and firing one you get a real appreciation for it and its firepower. Being raised on smaller modern military-type semi-auto rifles and having shot a bunch, having a semi-auto 30-06 made a real impression on me.

After that my second would be a Turkish Mauser. Not because they are special per se but because I've lived in Turkey so they have a certain value to me that is not reflective in their price or how they would be valued by others.

I would really like a 1903 Sprinfield, and if I had one it might get the nod but they are too expensive for me right now.

If I were just starting to collect, I would first go after the rifles that were WW2 service firearms. Some of these are still a bargain & their prices will go up. Many are , or near , 100 years old. Save up your money & only collect good grade rather than cheaper ones. Matching #'s are most desirable .

I'm still getting tears in my eyes when I see those adds from the 60's selling G43 for $69, and K98 for $15. Get them while you can still get them ;).

In one sense, the K-31, fine rifle that it is, has no history. Switzerland was neutral in both World Wars, so their rifles were used in no battles, were never carried in triumph or surrendered in defeat. Collectible, yes. An interesting design, yes. But historic, well maybe not.

I am reminded of a story that was told when the Swiss adopted the StG57. The American military attache in Bern was shown one by a Swiss captain and remarked that, like all Swiss machinery, it was made like a fine watch. How, he wondered aloud, would it do in the jungle or the desert. The Swiss officer, knowing that Swiss policy was solely to defend their country, not to mount expeditionary forces, looked out the window at the pristine mountains and clear air, and asked, "What jungle? What desert?"

Jim

The Mosin is pretty accurate, plus, I can use it to chop wood and paddle my canoe.

I just squirted milk out of my nose

I will have to disagree with Jim though. There is more to history than combat experience. The k-31 has a unique history. It is the only rifle ever issued by a government that never lived in a arsenal somewhere. The Swiss took their rifles and ammunition home. They were drilled with, shot, and cared for by the same owner from issue till retirement. No other milsurp in the world can say that.

Milsurps are for history, shooting is secondary. For simple shooting, a US M1903 or M1917 is best, ammunition readily available. Or an M-1 Carbine. The M-1 Garand has lot of history but as the more knowledgeable M-1 aficionados will tell you, you must be careful about using commercial ammunition in it. The Swiss rifles have no
"history", are superbly made, take a rather rare cartridge. Lee Enfields saw lots of action, finding one in "correct" configuration can be tricky due to rebuilds, the wide variety of subcontracted parts they used, bore diameters vary a great deal. French Rifles such as the Lebel and M1907 and M1907/15
have lots of history, take a pretty rare cartridge, are fairly scarce. Mausers come in lots of varieties.

Not a lot of history behind them, but the Yugo M48 is worth a look. Inexpensive, great design (Mauser), and can be found in like new condition.

I hear a lot about this M48 mauser but I have yet to come across one on the internet :confused: anyone here know somewhere I could go about looking for one of these? I've decided there's no way I can get 1 of these.. On the top of my list so far is an M39 Finnish Mosin, Swiss K31, Either a german 98k or one of the 98k clones, an Enfield No. 4 Mk 1, and am strongly considering a Springfield 03 or 03A3.. my only problem is I don't know what my first choice would be! Further information is greatly appreciated! Thanks to everyone so far

What would be the best Milsurp Rifle?

Any milsurp rifle handed down to you, no matter what kind or what condition.

Lee_06.jpg

Win1917.jpg

But, since I did not have any great grandfathers fighting for Switzerland in the world wars, I will be looking to buy a K-31 someday for myself.

Back