What would be the best milsurp bolt gun to take into grizzly or brown bear country

A cheap, Bubba'd Mauser. That way you won't be worried about the collector value when you have to throw the damned thing at the bear and run like hell.

Jim

In the real world, of people who do this, or go into the environment ( daily) with the need to do this I know of only two. They both post to to other forums.
One carry's a M44 with Woodleigh 215 grains, the other is in the environment more often ( daily ), he carries a Finn M39 with Czech silvertip. Both avoid any contact when possible.

I work in remote exploration camps in grizzly and polar bear habitat. When I was young and penniless, I kept my LE. No. 5 in my tent. Now that I can afford it, I keep a 20" BRNO 602 .375 H&H in my tent. It's not a surplus rifle but it is a true Mauser action.:cool:

Expeditions to the North Pole require participants to train with and carry the 8MM K98k surplus German Mauser, as shown on a National Geographic special.

3006 and 7.62X54R are 30 calibers, the 8MM is a 32 caliber and fires a heavier bullet. The 198gr is standard but for moderate ranges the 220 gr is very effective.
It also functions under the worst conditions.
All mentioned are good rifles but the reliability and durability of a K98K is unmatched
That said the competency of the shooter is the most important factor in successfully defeating a great bear.
A 338 Win Mag would be nice and a 338 Lapua would really be nice:D

What ever you use practice working that bolt becoming proficient with quick firing.

Wulfmann

7.62x54R M-N
8mm K98 Mauser
7.5 K31
.30-06 1903
.303 Enfield

any of those will serve you well with the right ammo.

any of the major bolt guns would work well and just to prove it I'm bringing my 1896 Krag carbine. Hey I may not have the most power but I got one of the smoothest and slickest actions and since it's designed for 220 gr roundnoses adequate penatration shouldn't be a problem.

Guys, Tiki knows his Lee-Enfields very well. Have read his observations on other gun websites.

I'm still a novice, but like mine (a #4:cool:, two #5s:)) so much that it would be fun to somehow be paid to shoot them every day of the week, and a recoil pad is not needed for the #5 on my skinny shoulders. Am learning to reload, just for the LEs, in order to face the total lack of surplus ammo in the future.

Voluntary tester of you surplus ammo. Free of charge and will pay shipping roundtrip.

Last edited:
SMLE No. 1 Mk. III, good handling, 10 rounds, hunting ammunition.

Having said that, I'd prefer a .405 or .450 Nitro Express for big and truculent carnivores.

I'd prefer to avoid a situation if I can.

Tiki:

Just where does a hunter try to hit a water buffalo, or grizzly bear?
Would it be the neck or chest, assuming that the skull is too thick?

rr2241tx:

But maybe he has the truck keys in his pocket.

Ah-Ha! All is not lost, I'm pitching my vote for the 1903 Springfield chambered for the original .30-03, which didn't hang around all that long.

Gewehr 98!

Most powerful of the milsurps (8mm bullet 196 grain @ 2700 with great sectional density), good accuracy, and if you run out of ammo you can poke the bear from a safe distance with the 29'' long barrel. :D

Back