What will my "Retirement Fiery-arm" be?

What's your budget? I could easily point you to some things that can cost more than your house..................

My thought is that I could probably spend a couple thousand at the most,,,
But whether I could make myself sign that check is another thing altogether.

I was perusing Gunbroker last Friday and saw a lovely matched pair of Stevens tip-up pistols,,,
And they were encased in a felt lined box, with all accessories, like dueling pistols.

The bid was just over a grand with only a few hours left,,,
I didn't even put in a bid as I knew that was a bit above my monetary "cringe point".

I'll keep looking for that gun that makes my heartstrings twang,,,
After all, the shopping itself is more than half the fun.

Aarond

If ya want it, don't let it get away. I bought a nice O/U shotgun online (well to ME $6K is nice), but with the extras, it was worth more so i bit the bullet (literally) and sent the MO.

I think that Cooper is calling your name!

In reality,,,

In reality,,,
I don't believe I could ever make myself pony up 6K for a firearm.

No matter how beautiful it is or how well crafted it is,,,
I just know I couldn't do it.

A grand or a grand and a half I could maybe do that,,,
But the gun must be a real shooter,,,
Not just pretty for that price.

That's why I'm thinking a single-shot .22 of some ilk,,,
Something with an exposed hammer.

Aarond

Maybe one of the old S&W single shot "revolvers" from 100 years ago.

IE2P4m6.jpg

Maybe one of the old S&W single shot "revolvers" from 100 years ago.

Several years ago at the Wannenmacher gun show in Tulsa,,,
I got to handle one of those guns,,,
I liked it.

But if my retirement gun is a handgun,,,
I want a matched pair.

Aarond

opt_101202599_6533_A3394E0C17AE2425.jpg

SUPERIOR PAIR GEORGE III FLINTLOCK BRASS BARREL MILITIA OFFICER’S PISTOLS BY GEO. E. JONES OF LONDON CA. 1800-10.

Description:
SUPERIOR PAIR GEORGE III FLINTLOCK BRASS BARREL MILITIA OFFICER’S PISTOLS BY GEO. E. JONES OF LONDON CA. 1800-10. 15” overall with 9” brass smoothbore .65 cal. round barrels engraved “LONDON” at the top and bearing London Proofs at the left breech. Locks signed “GEO. E. JONES”. Finely engraved brass mounts with barrel breeches and tangs engraved as well. Beautiful acorn finial brass trigger guards. Walnut stocks and tipped ramrods. Superb condition with all the original lock parts and brass and metal in exceptional condition. Stocks with all the original finish. Perfect working order and excellent bores. Jones is listed as a London maker from 1790 to 1810.

Price: $4,500

John-Manton-London-Cased-Pair-Flintlock-Duelling-Pistols-50-Calibre_101504860_221_DDCF1CAA5A498400.jpg

John Manton, London --- Cased Pair, Flintlock Duelling Pistols --- .50 Calibre

Description:
10" full octagon, scratch-rifled, damascus-twist barrels with fixed sights, platinum touch holes, gold bands at breech and with MANTON - LONDON inlaid in flush gold letters on top flats. Checkered, round-grip, half-stocks with horn forend tips, ebony ramrods, iron furniture, and keyed barrel fasteners. Rope-border-engraved flintlock actions with half-cock sliding safeties, rain-proof pans, and roller-bearing frizzens. Triggerguards engraved with panoply of arms. Pineapple finials. Listed in Neal & Back, The Mantons. Built 1808. Somewhat used condition, but sound. Retaining 60% barrel brown. In original mahogany case with unengraved circular carrying handle, three-way flask, combination cleaning rod, and bullet mold numbered to the pistols. Interior re-lined, but displaying original trade label with 6 Dover Street address.

Price: $9995.

If more modern is desired:
Turnbull-Mfg-Commander-Limited-consecutively-numbered-pair_100903547_460_11093B5CB8B3A8E5.JPG

Turnbull Mfg. Commander Limited consecutively numbered pair.

Description:
Turnbull Mfg. Commander Limited .45 4 1/4" bbl. 2 of 50. Consecutively numbered pair. Unfired, unracked, unmarred. Still in cosmolene. Only ones for sale currently. Turnbull Manufacturings very limited run of custom 1911 Commander type pistols, designed for the Trop Gun Shop. The pistol is based on the 1920’s era appearance of the 1911 pistol, if there were a Commander size slide and frame in production at the time.

Price: $6350

Given what I think are your interests, you may want to consider a winchester 1885 low wall single shot. They're available as new production. My local dealer has them available in .22 WMR and .17 HMR for 1300 $. I've seen the .22 LR rifle version available at other dealers. They come with a gloss blued, 24 inch octagon barrel. I have a .22 hornet version, and it's a beautiful rifle.

Last edited:
Last time; TC-Contender Super-14, I promise

TC-Contender Super-14 with the engraved Cougar on the receiver. Then you can add any caliber barrel, you want. These guys are awesome shooters. ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

You are correct Hammie,,,

"Given what I think are your interests, you may want to consider a winchester 1885 low wall single shot."

You are correct Hammie,,,
That 1885 Low Wall is on my short list.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Aarond

@aarondhgraham: It's been a several months since I've seen the .22LR version of the low wall. Given the better effectiveness of the magnum rimfires for hunting, I would be happier with one of the magnum rimfire versions anyway. A single shot is not exactly a plinking or "spray and pray" type rifle. A box of 50 rimfires will last quite a while, even at the range, and so the difference in ammunition costs between .22 LR and the others, may not have that much impact. With all this COVID hassle, I wouldn't wait too long to purchase something if is available now, before it is gone.

With the high gloss blue on the low wall, I put gloss rings, and a gloss Leupold scope on mine, which matched the rifle perfectly.

Enjoy your retirement. I'm sure you deserve it. The best thing about retirement is being able to set your daily agenda. People predicted boredom, but I quickly discovered that I had more things to do than I had time.

And, aarond, as we say in Texas, "You have a bless-ed day".

Last edited:
Hello Hammie,,,

"With the high gloss blue on the low wall, I put gloss rings, and a gloss Leupold scope on mine, which matched the rifle perfectly."

Is there any way you could post a picture of that set-up?

Aarond

I always have trouble resizing my photo files below the allowable MB upload limit. I think I may have it. The scope is a Leupold3x9, 40 mm variable focus/parallax objective. The rings look a little tall, but I had to select high enough mounts to clear my fat finger on the hammer.

Attachments

• DSCN1768.JPG
    DSCN1768.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
So I had an idea and was stunned at the prices,,,

All this speculation about pretty single-shots is very enjoyable,,,
And I have gleaned three from this thread that I will look closely at.

But a post on another forum got me thinking in a different direction,,,
It was about the Springfield 1922 Trainer a member inherited.

I do have an affinity for .22 military trainers in general,,,
And I've always liked the looks of that Springfield,,,
So I surfed on over to Gunbroker.

Dang! :eek:
Those puppies have gone way up since I last looked.

They are bringing as much if not a bit more,,,
Than some of the new guns in this thread.

"So much for that idea!" sez I.

Now I must take Krystyna, My WZ-48 Polish Trainer, (click here please) to the range,,,
Reaffirm to that Polish beauty that I still love her dearly,,,
And apologize for thinking of another rifle. :p

Aarond

Buds has a Winchester 1885 low wall in stock,,,

Buds has a Winchester 1885 low wall in stock,,,
It's only $1,241.00 which is affordable.

Okay, that rifle is definitely on my short list.

Aarond

I've found two more that look very nice,,,

I've found two more that look very nice,,,
So the list has grown to three.

Just on looks alone the Sharps Little Betsy wins out,,,
But the allure of that Winchester is tugging at my heartstrings.

Thanks for your suggestions my friends,,,
Though the final decision is far from being made.

Aarond

Last edited:
Back