What will my "Retirement Fiery-arm" be?

aarondhgraham

I recently read a thread where a gentleman was showing off his "retirement rifle",,,
That's the rifle he chose to celebrate the end of 50+ years of working.

I'm well within 5 months of retiring myself.

His thread got me thinking about,,,
What would be my retirement reward for 55 years of working?

If it were to be a rifle,,,
It would probably be a .22 of some ilk,,,
A single-shot would be my choice and it would have to be pretty.

The same goes if it were to be a handgun,,,
Except then it would need to be a matching pair.

If I could somehow manage to find a pair of these discontinued Uberti's,,,
I would sell my sister (and brother) to the gypsies to afford them.

Uberti reproduction of an 1867 Remington Rolling Block.

attachment.php

So my question to you good people is this,,,
Does anyone make a single-shot .22 pistol or rifle that is pretty and readily available?

If you know of something that might fit my desire,,,
Please post a picture and if possible a link to who markets them.

Thanks in advance.

Aarond

I don't keep my copies, but Google Single Shot Exchange. It's a publication dedicated to those firearms. It has a very interesting classified section, and there are a couple vendors that offer new rifles that may interest you.

I bought a few 22 rifles for my retirement since 2003 but the one I like the best is my Henry lever action. I bought the standard model in 2013 but I wish I had gotten a golden boy (which I bought for my grandson as a reward for becoming an Eagle Scout).

Hello Osbornk:

I bought a Henry H001 (the base model) a few years back,,,
I didn't keep it long before i sold it.

Don't get me wrong,,,
It was a very nice shooter,,,
But for me it was also the biggest ammo waster.

I was having way too much fun with it,,,
Pretending I was Lucas McCain.

Jacking that lever quickly was keeping me from aiming,,,
I sold it to a friend and bought the Henry Acu-Bolt single-shot to replace it.

I think I'm much more of a single-shot guy than a repeater guy.

But dang-it,,,
You got me thinking of one again. ;)

Aarond

God luck on your upcoming retirement

A TC-Contender comes to mind and I'd prefer an original rather than the G2. Even though they are pricey there are not hard to find. Also, a pieta or uberti rolling block rifle are great fun to shoot. There is a website dedicated to Creedmoor Shooters that might be of some help. ..... :)

On a related matter, I once picked up a Marlin-39A golden trigger that was engraved; To our ship-mate on his retirement. Belonged to a fella that worked on an Ore-Hauler, on the Great-Lakes. ...... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

My retirement firearm was . . .

When I retired I bought a S&W M&P AR -15 that was on sale at Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka IN. They had 60 of them and as I recall I got it for less than 5 bills. Fun gun that eventually got traded off, in part, for a sig AR.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Savage has stopped production of the reproduction Stevens Favorite. They are well made and pretty guns. If you can find one it migh fit your bill.

My eyes are attracted to the walnut stocked Mossberg bolt action rifle chambered for 6.5 Creedmore but I can not justify the purchase. My main deer and hog rifle was been a Glenfield 30-30 carbine for many years. It's a keeper!

Jack

What Pahoo said. There are plenty of first gen TC Contenders out there and they've usually been well taken care of. Get some tasteful engraving and exhibition wood. That would be a real heirloom. I'm retiring in 2 years and will go with a Rolex but that's just me.

What's your budget? I could easily point you to some things that can cost more than your house..................

Retire??

Technically I am but a few months away from retirement age, I'll be 65 in Feb. but......I have no desire to retire.
I'm a sales rep. have been one for a lot of years. My job is talking to my friends daily, that's hard to beat.
I have been cutting back a bit. I've reduced the companies I work with to 2, down from 5 at one time.

I did decide to retire my Rolex to the safe, I'll wear it occasionally, frankly the value of it has gotten too high to be an everyday watch. I travel a tremendous amount. The logistics of always having a sidearm is just too much hassle with the airlines and permits.
So I am wearing a cheapo smart watch, doubt anyone will hit me over the head for it.

Consider a first generation Contender. Then you can buy barrels for the rest of your days.

If you can afford it, and you want it, just buy it / them.

I went the rifle route and bought a Barrett, Tracking Point and Daniel Defense that I could now afford and pass down.

Pedersoli makes the Howdah which is a two barrel single shot handgun in .45 cal and .410 shotgun. They also make a beautiful low wall 22 rifle. My retirement rifle for me was a Pedersoli 45/70 sharps with creed more sights. My next rifle will be the low wall in 22lr or 22 magnum or 30/30. Have not been able to decide.

Single shot .22

Has to be pretty?
Remembering that beauty is in the eye of the beholder....take a look at “free pistols” from Hammerli, Pardini, Walther, Morini.
These are highly sophisticated Olympic quality target pistols designed for use in International precision pistol. They are marvelous machines.
Here is an example of a Walther:
https://www.rockislandauction.com/riac-blog/the-electric-walther-fp
And a Morini:
https://gehmann.com/english/products.php?id=1762&kategorie=44
And a Hammerli:
https://www.prc68.com/I/Hammerli150.shtml
A Pardini (this is the model that I use)
https://www.icollector.com/Pardini-Model-P-GP75-Single-Shot-Free-Pistol_i22663932

My own retirement gun was an Anschutz 1827 Biathlon rifle with a Fortner straight pull bolt.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links and pictures,,,
Nothing is off the table so I'm looking at everything.

I was at the range yesterday,,,
A gentleman had a beautiful .22 single-shot.

It was a rolling block of some ilk,,,
With a thin tube scope mounted on it.

He said it was an Uberti.

I'm in no hurry so I'll keep an open mind as to possibilities.

Thanks again for the ideas.

Aarond

Back