• Defensive 124g

Votes: 77 49.7%
  • Defensive 147g

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Other

Votes: 10 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The original design was a 124 gr. truncated cone .
It killed so well during WWI there was accusations of the load being in violation of the Geneva Conventions Humanitarian Laws of Armed Conflict ... so the bullet was changed from the original and highly effective 124 gr. truncated cone to a less lethal 115 gr. round nose !...Interesting Humanitarian rules for killing each other ...
Since the original load was banned from warfare it probably works and the 124 gr. weight is a good balance cosidering the case capacity of the 9mm Luger .
Not too heavy ...not too light ... I find the 124. gr. TC bullet to be ...just right !
Gary

The original design was a 124 gr. truncated cone .
It killed so well during WWI there was accusations of the load being in violation of the Geneva Conventions Humanitarian Laws of Armed Conflict ... so the bullet was changed from the original and highly effective 124 gr. truncated cone to a less lethal 115 gr. round nose !...Interesting Humanitarian rules for killing each other ...

The original load was a 124gr truncated cone, at 1050fps from a 4" (100mm) barrel. It was replaced by the 115gr RN (rather pointed rn) BEFORE WW I. The 115gr load was 1150fps from a 4" barrel.

I seriously doubt it was the "killing power" of the 124 that lead to complaints. I am thoroughly convinced that all the sides making complaints and claims of violating the accords by their enemies during WW I did so simply because they could.

Germany complained against the US using 12ga shotguns. Mind you, these were the people who introduced flame throwers and poison gas to the battlefield....:rolleyes:

All of them depending on the firearm and the intended purpose/use. Generally 115gr for the compacts and subcompacts, 124gr for the full sized “duty” pistols, and 147gr for when I want to shoot suppressed.

Back in the early sixties, I had a WWII Walther P-38 for which I could still buy surplus 9mm ammo. As I remember, the bullet weight was about 117 grains, and the bullets I bought for hand loading were about the same weight.

My conclusion was that if the military's (don't know which country they originated in), found 115-117 grain bullets to be the way to go for warfare, they likely knew what they were doing.

A couple of months later, I was casting the 120 grain Lyman Truncated Cone bullets for that P-38 anyway.

I currently shoot powder coated Lee 120-2R-PB bullets in my only remaining 9mm, a Browning H.P. However, I shoot RCBS 120 grain round-nose, gas checked bullets in my .38 Supers.
These are the RCBS Gas Check bullets:
00-2TVObsA_RjFZ1FzVZsfiy1e7Bpf7wJ44XV0TxD8xI-d0fHKeHCcSWB9wJyuEoI-uKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ

After reading the history of all this I decided to order a 124 gr. TC bullet mould from NOE moulds .. if it got them (Germany) in hot water ...it must have been an OK loading !
My Walther P38 shoots this bullet , sized .357 " , over 4.7 grains Unique dead on with my WWII Walther P38's fixed iron sights ... POA = POI ... this made me a happy camper .
5.0 grains of Unique is also a good load , strikes is just a little higher , but very accurate and tight groups ..
Gary

Back