• Defensive 124g

Votes: 77 49.7%
  • Defensive 147g

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Other

Votes: 10 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
115. The entire point of shooting 9mm is low recoil, yet I see people putting 124 and 147 +P on a pedestal and it's like at that point you may as well use .40 S&W. The 115 grain stuff is plenty effective even from a short barrel, and is really the best fit for the small subcompact 9mm's people are gushing over nowadays.

Doc Roberts only had one 115gr on his list. It was the barnes all copper.

No. For real. Look at the 150gr hst. It might be the best 9mm and does it in low fps.

115. The entire point of shooting 9mm is low recoil, yet I see people putting 124 and 147 +P on a pedestal and it's like at that point you may as well use .40 S&W. The 115 grain stuff is plenty effective even from a short barrel, and is really the best fit for the small subcompact 9mm's people are gushing over nowadays.

Or you could should standard pressure in those higher weights for a minimal difference in recoil. For me personally the addition of 9 gr in bullet weight isn’t where I change cartridges entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in the early sixties, I had a WWII Walther P-38 for which I could still buy surplus 9mm ammo. As I remember, the bullet weight was about 117 grains, and the bullets I bought for hand loading were about the same weight.

My conclusion was that if the military's (don't know which country they originated in), found 115-117 grain bullets to be the way to go for warfare, they likely knew what they were doing.

A couple of months later, I was casting the 120 grain Lyman Truncated Cone bullets for that P-38 anyway.

I currently shoot powder coated Lee 120-2R-PB bullets in my only remaining 9mm, a Browning H.P. However, I shoot RCBS 120 grain round-nose, gas checked bullets in my .38 Supers.
These are the RCBS Gas Check bullets:
00-2TVObsA_RjFZ1FzVZsfiy1e7Bpf7wJ44XV0TxD8xI-d0fHKeHCcSWB9wJyuEoI-uKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ

Last edited:
115 grain because it usually costs less: Win., Rem., Wolf and Tula.

The only 'issues', which are minor, have been a few weak extractions (FTE) with Win. white box - only with "white box". To be expected.

The functions with Tula, Wolf and Rem. have been perfect. Please read this again, so that nobody reads Into it.

The guns: German Sig P225 (Not a P6... a true proofmarked German commercial 225), S&W 908 (3rd Gen.), Walther P99 AS and CZ PCR (75D).

Last edited:
I shoot 115gr fmj most of the time, I carry 115gr hp most of the time, sometimes the first few rounds are 115gr hp +p+. I don't shoot it and hope I never do. If I do shoot it somebody has threaten me or my darling bride.

Since my only 9mm is a S&W shield and it has a rather short barrel, I load my 9mm rounds with 100g bullets. Hornady XTP hollow points for carry and Xtream 100g plated hollow points for target practice.

I have a Lee mold that makes a nice 95g RN bullet but I haven't tried loading any for this gun yet. Maybe one of these days.

Tony

I load some 124s, and some 147s. Lots of my range reloads I use either plated 135s from Rocky Mountain Reloading, or coated 135s from Bayou Bullets.

Different strokes for different folks. I feel you should shoot the bullet weight that is most accurate in your gun(s). My experience in two firearms is as follows...

My first-generation, circa 2011, Ruger® LC9, hammer-fired DAO has a marked preference for 147gr ammunition. Thus that is what I shoot at the range and what I carry in the gun. Specifically for the range...
https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Handgun/USA/USA9JHP2

and for a carry load...
https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Handgun/Defender/S9MMPDB1

Conversely, my 2021 Taurus® Mdl G3C is the most accurate with 124gr ammunition; thus I use...
https://www.federalpremium.com/handgun/american-eagle/american-eagle-handgun/11-AE9AP.html

and...
https://www.federalpremium.com/handgun/premium-personal-defense/personal-defense-punch/11-PD9P1.html

For training, I load 147 gn with IMR Target at 933 FPS. For off the shelf ammo, I shoot Federal Syntech 147 gn and 150 gn. The reason for this is as I'm getting older, I prefer the softer recoil of subsonic ammo. For defense, I use 108 gn Norma Monolithic Hollow Points. These clock in at 1,312 FPS and 413 ft/pounds of energy. The reasons are these expand to 0.9", they have a huge amount of energy, and their bullet shape runs in all my guns.

For a given level of "power", heavier bullets produce less felt recoil than lighter ones. Comparing 115, to 147 +P, is apples and oranges.

Back