What was your first time carrying concealed?

My first carry gun was the Ruger LCP 9mm. This was my first attempt in the handgun market. (Had Long Rifles since I was old enough to hunt, not counting my Red Rider BB gun). Practiced carrying unloaded around my neighborhood walking the dog. Unloaded due to no threats as my lab was loved in the neighborhood. Presently I find it difficult IWB or OWB in most cases so I wear a Shield 9 in an ankle holster. Surprisingly comfortable and no tugging up the pants. Rural WI does not have a lot of gangbanger surprise attacks, so I figure the time delay to present the gun gives me time to be sure I want to confront the idiot redneck or flight.

LCP in a IWB to WalMart. I knew everyone was looking at me thinking "run, he has a gun!". Fast forward a few years....I carry a Sig P245 or a SW 457 daily with a -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- attitude.

Spin back to 1970, those of you able to remember that far...at that time I was a newly minted shave tail 2nd Lieutenant flying the Bird dog in lll Corps, RVN. I carried a Smith M15 .38 Spl. in a 'tanker' type Army issue cross chest holster under my survival vest. Concealed? Sorta, I guess, but it was my first carry nevertheless.

Later I picked up a 1911A1 from a Beret in the camp and that became my choice...later still, a Browning Hi-Power....all good guns, all sorely missed now in my dotage. Here's a pic from that time period...Willie Pete's on the wing mounts and that same M15 Smith but in a belt holster....Rod

Last edited:
Late in 1999 or early in 2000 i started carrying regularly.
I remember i carried a taurus 85 in a crappy leather IWB holster with a speedloader in my front pocket.
Beyond that i don't recall any other remarkable details of my first time.

So long ago I don't even remember. Must have gone well though since there was never an issue. I'm sure I would have remembered that;)

First time carrying concealed....shortly aftern my CHL arrived several years ago, I was nonchalantly cruising the aisles of Academy Sport. Hyper aware that I MUST be printing but everyone was too kind to point it out.

Was carrying several boxes of ammo, targets and shooting stuff. And ran into a business friend and his then 11 year led son. Everything in my mind just screamed concealed carry! Well, my friend wanted to chat. His son was very well mannered and exceptionally comfortable visiting with me.

And all I could think was, oh my gawd, they know I have a gun on my hip. A LOADED gun!!! A big loaded gun!! In 9 freakin MM.

Of course, I was totally cool about all this. We visited for a while, noted the targets and stuff, they surmised I must be heading to the range....was all very pleasant. And, for me, nerve wracking. I was sure I had been made!

Frankly, a few hours later when I got home from the range and took the time to reflect, it was no big deal. For them. And, in retrospect, for me either.

Back