What was your first time carrying concealed?

my first day was in the fall of 1993 in New York City. i was carrying a Smith and Wesson model 10. no body noticed

Way back when CHL first started I packed a S&W 640 .38 spl. Centennial. I was paranoid I'd be made. Well, of course, no one noticed. I uses, and still use, the same gun and same IWB holster.

Deaf

1970's Colt GM IWB in a brand new, "state of the art" (at the time) Bianchi Pistol Pocket, my first "real" holster. Carried a couple of years prior to that without one. Been carrying something similar every day ever since.

Never really ever had an issue or felt uncomfortable carrying a gun, and actually, its not having one along is the only time when I am uncomfortable and self-conscious.

6-7 years ago when I was in the army stationed in Missouri. I carried my full size stainless steel 1911 in a crappy iwb holster with a crappy belt into walmart. It was very heavy and uncomfortable and I felt like everyone could see it. I've come a long way since then. :D

Taurus TCP (380), carried around the house after taking NRA class and waiting CCP (Florida). CCP came in the mail, IWB everyday with out any problems.

Two weeks ago, changed to my PT111 G2 (9mm). NO ONE has noticed either gun!!

One change, two days after first IWB carry in house. Don't wear t-shirts now. Button down shirts only now. Extra plus >>>> wife thinks I look SEXY-er in button down shirts!!! :-)

1972 Iowa.. I had a CCW and carried a S&W Chief M60 with stag grips and a Taylor T in my S&W shoulder holster, I have pictures...LOL

That’s a good question and beings back the fear.
The first gun I carried was a Mauser HSc in 380. I carried it all that day and went many places. Winter coat and KNEW everyone could see I was carrying.
40 years later, Now I carry an N frame 24 Lew Horton and don’t care.

Last edited:
Since this is just a "war story" thread here goes: i first carried a concealed pistol in 1963 when i went to work for a police dept. At the time I owned a DCM 1911 .45 and my newly purchased duty weapon a 4" S&W Model 19, both not tiny firearms to hide on my 155 pound body. Suprisingly i never was approached by anyone asking about the weapon showing so I must have done a good job hiding it. After carrying for awhile and constantly pulling my pants back up i purchased a S&W mod 36 which was super easy to conceal. In my opinion a concealed weapon should be invisible to others, no holster bottom showing, pistol visible when open shirt blows back etc. I carried discreetly through thirty plus years in LE and beyond without once being contacted by the public. I normally have a Sig P238 or 938 on that same 155 pound (but a whole lot more shop worn) .body.

The pistol was a High Standard Model C (.22 short autoloader) and I would have been trying to conceal it from my parents some forty years ago.

It must have gone alright because I don't remember the belt coming out and the gun remained in his sock drawer until he gave it to my younger brother 10 or so years ago. :)

Jennings J-22 in inner jacket pocket while riding motorcycle cross country - sometime back around 1990. No, I did not have a permit. No one (no one I knew) did.:eek:

Been a bunch of years ago, around '71 or '72 when I first started carrying regularly but I seem to remember that it was a rotation of an old GI 1911 carried in wast band holster kidney carry right side or I was carrying a 2 inch S&W in my pocket when not carrying the colt. When I got enough money I added a Browning High Power to the rotation. Still have the Colt and the Smith but like a fool let that Browning get away.

Mine was the day after my permit came. I already had a holster and a good belt ready to go. Was no big deal and I don't think anyone noticed. After a couple hours I kinda forgot about it being on my belt. Being from Hellinois I didn't think I would ever be able to carry. Think we were the last state to be able to.

I think my first time was with my fathers H&R 732. I was wading through swamps checking traps and I kept that pistol on me most of the time when I was 21 to deal with snakes, beaver, etc. I didn't take it off when I went to the store after either. I was rather careless as I pocket carried with no holster. That was around 2001/2002.

My first time trying to defend against humans was a pizza guy. I quit my job as a building inspector to go to BLET and be a cop. I carried an Astra Falcon in 32 every night I delivered pizza. That was around 2009 or so. Now carrying is second nature. I have a healthy stable of both issued and personal weapons.

Not sure if this counts

I was in the Army, I was the battalion commander's driver and we were on the way to the field. The CSM told me to go draw the BC's 1911 from the Arms a Room and keep it till we were ready to leave.

I signed it out and put it in my cargo pocket and went about my business

A Ruger LC9...Later changed to the Ruger LC9S for the trigger improvement. Also changed the Hornady Critical Duty rounds.

Started to carry when my job would take me into not so nice areas for night time service call doing HVAC work, then I was also a Treasurer of a local organization in which I handled large amounts of money at night time.
Nobody ever knew, it was no big deal, always carried with the don't ask, don't tell motto! :cool:

Carrying a concealed handgun ain't as important as knowing when to carry.

I live is a very safe city. I'm exempt from concealed carry law. I can carry wherever the hell I wanna carry. I don't. I'm pretty darn good at avoiding places that bad guys claim. It's no longer my job to jam bad guys. Now were I going into LA, I'd take a handgun. But then again, I don't go into LA unless I have no other option.

We all know how dangerous gang bangers are. No one factors in tweakers. Meth destroys brain cells. Tweakers can be every bit as dangerous as bangers. I avoid tweakers. Besides, tweakers are have dual lethality: lack of brain cells that enable thought, and they're walking biological warfare. God only knows what diseases tweakers carry. If they don't kill you know, there's a good chance they'll kill you later.

Back