What was your first time carrying concealed?

The first day I carried it was nutz. I decided to lug my M60 to the local DQ where I met up with some terrorist bank robbers. The gunfight ended when I shot out their tires and they careened off a cliff and burst into flames.

Seriously though. I carried a SW shield 9mm to get gas and then visit my grandpa. 0 shots fired. It was a good day.

After Georgia began issuing Weapons Licenses I trotted on down and picked one up. I then decided to carry and selected my Sig P220 as my weapon of choice. So, I’m carrying IWB and everything is going ok as we settle in at a local restaurant. Then as I look across the room I see two Police Officers taking a dinner break. The rest of the night I was convinced they were sure I was carrying and would be slamming me to the pavement after I left to assure I wasn’t some kind of bad guy. Well, obviously nothing happened and I learned most people have no idea you’re carrying and the few who do don’t care.

The very next morning after I got my Permit, I tucked my Model 36 Chiefs Special inside my waist band in a Bianchi holster. I was ABSOLUTELY sure everyone I passed or that saw me that day was sure I had a gun. But no one even batted an eye. It was just my paranoia getting the best of me. Now days I really don't give a rats BAHOOKEY if it prints or not. Most times that Model 36 is on me with nothing more than a Tshirt covering it, I no longer care if it prints. You could have the outline of the gun clearly visible and most people wouldn't even notice. Folks dont pay much attention to others. But I can pick out concealed carry people if the gun is not deeply concealed. In fact me and my wife try to see how many we can pick out when we are out and about. Concealed Carry has taught me and the wife many GOOD lessons.

Last edited:
1975 in the Peoples Democratic Republic of Maryland. Don't ask what it was like to get a permit there and then. I carried a Charter Arms Undercover in a ankle holster. Never liked the holster nor the gun. Swapped them for a IWB and a Astra Constable after a couple years. Much better.

Probably a Star PD, loaded with Winchester Silvertips, circa 1992.
I didn't have to shoot anyone, so it went great. :)

Walmart. Either my Glock 22 or S&W 637. Thought for sure I'd be tackled by Walmart security but alias no one even noticed the imaginary sign flashing over my head that read "Gun!"

I carried a Walther PPK 32acp in my pocket 45 years ago when I work at a store in a bad area, been carrying ever since and made it legal 15 years ago when I got my CCW.

Glock 23. Thought for sure someone was gonna see it printing. No one did. I made it home without getting arrested or causing some pandemonium from someone spotting my gun. Didn't have to shoot any robbers either. All in all it wasn't a bad experience

My first time carrying was last year after I got my CCW permit. Gun was an M&P .40 FS. It was already cooler but I wore some fairly larger clothes.

I had not yet gotten comfortable with bending and the grip not poking out. I carried in an Alien gear IWB holster. After a few months of carrying it everywhere, I realized nobody knew I was carrying.

Now it's nicer out, I'm not nervous. Still carrying IWB but with a Gen 4 Glock 26.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

in Ohio, in the late 80s. was going to rely on the affirmative defense stance if discovered. there was reason enough so I took the chance.

Got my license in the fall of 2008 and though an avid shooter for 20 years, I had no appropriate handguns. (all were too large, IMO.) As it happened, an out of town gun buddy of mine was scheduled to come for the weekend to do a day long motorcycle ride with me, so he lent me a shoulder rig and his XD9sc, a pistol of his that I had shot before.

So the first time I carried concealed was over the course of a 12-hr day using a borrowed handgun! ;)

It was about a week later that I got my Glock 29, which I carried from October 2008 up until around late fall 2015. In nearly 8 years of licensed carry, I really am only on my second carry gun. And also odd for most of us, I really am using just my third holster in that same span of time. A "carry rotation" is a thing for other folks and not at all my style.

I carried long before permits . Was a $50 fine and loss of pistol. So you didn't carry Colts S&W . I worked down town at night in a office building so a little 25 Beretta in pocket .
When Ky got permits I got mine and had ever since. :D

I started carrying my PF9 4 years ago and still carry it today. I went through several holsters over the years so decided to make my own. My 1st time was the walk through Walmart and nobody cared except me. Even my wife didn't know. My wife, son and I were standing in line at Lowe's and there was a guy in front of us that was carrying OWB a 1911 and neither one of them noticed.

Just got my LTCF and went to the notary to ??? Was quite nervous 1st time out. Standing at the counter, I hear the door open behind me, {had a bell on it} and in walks a local township police officer. lol
I think I looked like the cat that just swallowed the mouse. I was sure he was there for me. :eek:
BTW, I was carrying my late father's S&W 12-2 in the original S&W holster under my jacket. My wife was in the car laughing herself silly watching me. :D

That was about 14yrs ago. I doubt I'll ever forget that day. It sure was funny after I got home.

1970. One night as a AuxLEO my Lt. asked me to check out a night club where their was some trouble with drugs being sold. I carried my 4" Python in a shoulder holster under my coat and was very self uncomfortable. In those years only LEO's or BG's carried and I certainly didn't look like an LEO. I had long hair scraggly and wore bell bottoms. Made a mistake of dancing too close to a very good looking Lady who got very interested in me.
It was a most eventful evening. My brother LEO's gave me quite a ribbing over that night. What is it with Women and guys that carry weapons?

Last edited:
Back