What Usually Happens

Grits said:
I think a lot of you missed my point. I am not seeking help on how to fix the gun, I am trying to determine what you would expect out of a dealer if you bought a new gun from them and it was defective. I mean, would you expect them to give you another gun, send it back on their dime, or what.

The LGS will not give you another gun. Its yours. When you sign the 4473, its yours. What they should do is be the middle man between you and the manufacturer. This includes helping you prepare the firearm for return. They also should set up the return, and hold the firearm for pickup. Since its apparently defective, the manufacturer should pay shipping both ways, not the LGS. Thats been my experience twice.

Grits,

Take the gun, box paperwork and receipt back to the store you bought it from. Explain to them the issue and show it to them. They may be familiar enough with the gun and show you a quick fix and explain the issue. Or it may be the gun is a lemon that got through.

You should expect that either they quickly fix the issue (meaning show you what you were doing wrong) or that they replace the gun with another. You should check the other on premises to make sure it functions and strips as it should.

You should have to pay zero money other than what you have already paid.

Stop thinking of it as a gun and what you should do will be clear. What would you do if it was a TV? A new blender? A power saw? Do the same thing here.

tipoc

I am absolutely astonished by the number of people who have suggested that the selling dealer will replace the firearm. Maybe I live in an alternate universe, but I can't imagine any FFL dealer doing that. The shop is not the manufacturer, and the shop doesn't issue the warranty. Any warranty is from the manufacturer. If I buy a Ford F150 and I have a problem should I expect the dealer to exchange it for a new truck? No -- the problem gets repaired (hopefully) under the manufacturer's warranty. Yes, in the case of an automobile, the repair is usually carried out by the dealer -- but it's paid for by the manufacturer.

My experience suggests that the selling FFL will generally look at the gun and offer advice on whether there's a trick to take-down, or whether it seems that particular example has a problem and should be sent in for repair. Sometimes (but not always), the selling dealer will assist the buyer by arranging to mail the gun back rather than requiring the owner to schlep it to a UPS or FedEx terminal for shipping.

But the question that was the title of this thread was "What usually happens?" My experience has been that usually the owner sends the gun back to the manufacturer. Sometimes the manufacturer sends a UPS call tag, sometimes the selling FFL handles mailing (with the owner paying the cost), and sometimes the owner has to go to UPS or FedEx and pay full fare for the return shipping.

I have NEVER heard of a dealer just exchanging a gun for a new one, and I think it's unreasonable to expect that. But ... I'm only 73 years old, so maybe I just haven't lived long enough.

You haven't lived long enough.

It does happen, occasionally. Especially if they know you. Or if they keep a particular gun in stock. It depends on what's wrong with it, if anything.

But what you say is true as well.

The point is that he should take the gun in and discuss it with them.

If you bought a pair of boots where the heel fell off as soon as you got them home what would you do?

The last thing to do is go on a gun forum and ask. Here folks will raise dubious objections, spin scenarios, criticize your grammar, critique your refusal to name the gun, tell ya your daddy didn't raise you right*, etc.

The op asks what to expect...expect to go into the store and talk to them. Take it from there like a grown up human being.

tipoc

*By the way your Daddy didn't raise you right if you don't know what to do with a faulty product bought from a store. You walk in with a 6 pack of beer in one hand and a M19 snubby in the other. Tell 'em "I got an issue you can fix. Do me right or do me wrong. 6 beers or 6 bullets. The choice is yours."

Works great for me for decades. Used it just the other day returning an out of date container of Yogurt. Course I had to give away a 6 pack. Cost more than the yogurt. I've been giving away a lot of beer over the decades, sometimes just for things that cost less than a buck. Maybe I should rethink this approach. Maybe I should give away the unfired bullets instead.

My experience is exactly as Aquila Blanca suggests....go discuss the issue with the dealer / see if they have a recommendation.

( I suspect if you wiggle the guide rod a little or take some of the pressure off the takedown lever by moving the slide a little one way or the other -- the take down lever will operate just fine ). After it comes apart ...a little cleaning and some lube is probably in order... I've seen some of the Sigs come out of the factory pretty dry.

If the gun is truely defective and it's only been a few days I would try to take it back to the LGS, Im kinda supprised so many on here consider that a non option.

I remember when I first got into guns one of the first ones I bought was a Taurus 627 Tracker.

The gun shop was an actual gunshop.. not a big chain, but it was also a very busy/popular shop.
You quite literally had to take a number most days to get someone.
Anyway the shop was one large enough that "new" guns in the display case was just that, display models.

They brought me one NIB from the back.. I did not inspect it.
When I got home the side plate had a burr on it like someone tried to take it off.

I took it back the shop replaced it, I found out the gun had already been returned once before by someone else.

The replacement I checked over.. it's trigger was not as nice.. I always wondered if someone had tried smithing the one I returned, But cosmetically it was flawless.

That's when I learned my lesson to inspect even NIB guns.

If the shop won't help and SIG won't pay return shipping (they should since it's so new, but whether they actually do I dunno)
The shop can probably send it back to sig for you at reduced cost, Dealers have more options then we do and probably get cheaper "business" rates to boot.

The sales really are final on transfers, most shops online will charge you a hefty fee for returns if they do them at all.
The dealer will want you to fill the paper work and pay them asap.. check the gun over before you do unless you're willing to deal with the MFG.

If the gun is damaged or defective you can usually have it returned if you have not taken possession yet.

Whoever you bought it from, assuming it's BNIB and bought from a dealer, should send it back for warrantee(that'll be in the owner's manual) repairs. If that's what's needed. How long that will take depends on the brand.
"...slide lever release cannot be turned..." Not all pistols disassemble the same way. Read the manual. Any new firearm will require cleaning out of the box too.

If the gun is truely defective and it's only been a few days I would try to take it back to the LGS, Im kinda supprised so many on here consider that a non option.
Not that it is a non option. More like it would not be the first option.
Doing a little research into possoble quirks of that paeticukar gun, as has been mentioned once the identy was revealed, would be most people's first option. But keeping pertanant information secret from a forum known for being helpfull just didn't make sense.

JoeSixpack said:
The OP didn't ask what his options are, he asked what he can expect. Apparently a lot of us don't think he should "expect" the shop (which is NOT responsible for the warranty) to just take it back and hand him a different pistol. He can certainly ask if they'll do that but, IMHO, he should not "expect" that they will do so.

Not that it is a non option. More like it would not be the first option.
Doing a little research into possoble quirks of that paeticukar gun, as has been mentioned once the identy was revealed, would be most people's first option. But keeping pertanant information secret from a forum known for being helpfull just didn't make sense.
Oh absolutely, that's why I said IF it's truly defective.

The OP didn't ask what his options are, he asked what he can expect. Apparently a lot of us don't think he should "expect" the shop (which is NOT responsible for the warranty) to just take it back and hand him a different pistol. He can certainly ask if they'll do that but, IMHO, he should not "expect" that they will do so.
I expect the products I buy NEW aren't broken out of the box.

Gun's don't get an exemption here.. If it's only been a few days I absolutely expect the dealer to replace or fix.

Now if the dealer wants to put up a sign that says everything we sell is AS-IS, no returns.

fine.. I wouldn't buy from someone who won't stand behind NEW inventory.

A new gun should not be "broken" right out of the box. But sometimes, one is stiff and one or more parts need a bit of breaking in to work right. Ideally, that should not happen, but it does. An example is the well-known "stiffness" of the Ruger .22 Standard Model (pre-Mk IV) mainspring housing and the attached bolt stop, which can tax the patience of a saint.

Jim

JoeSixpack said:
I expect the products I buy NEW aren't broken out of the box.

Gun's don't get an exemption here.. If it's only been a few days I absolutely expect the dealer to replace or fix.

Now if the dealer wants to put up a sign that says everything we sell is AS-IS, no returns.

fine.. I wouldn't buy from someone who won't stand behind NEW inventory.
I also expect things I buy new to work out of the box. I think most of us do. Sometimes they don't, and that's what warranties are for. But it's important to remember who issues and stands behind the warranty ... and that usually is NOT the vendor, it's usually the manufacturer.

I used the example of a new car. If I buy a new Ford, and it has a problem with something, yes I take it back to the dealer. But the dealer isn't responsible for fixing it. First, the dealer has to call the factory. The factory has to authorize a repair, and only after that does the dealer fix it. The factory pays the dealer for the time and any parts expended in making the repair.

Most local gun shops are not factory authorized repair depots for the firearms they sell. Most new firearms come with a warranty, and the warranty is issued by the manufacturer. Sig has a limited lifetime warranty on their firearms. Here's what it says (taken directly from a Sig owner's manual):

SIG SAUER® Limited Lifetime Firearms Warranty

SIG SAUER® warrants that the enclosed firearm was originally manufactured free
of defects in material, workmanship and mechanical function. For the lifetime
of the original purchaser, SIG SAUER agrees to correct any defect in the firearm
for the original purchaser by repair, adjustment or replacement, at SIG SAUER’s
option, with the same or comparable quality components (or by replacing the
firearms at SIG SAUER’s option); provided, however, that the firearm is returned
unloaded and freight prepaid to:

SIG SAUER
18 Industrial Drive
Exeter, NH 03833

This limited warranty is null and void if the firearm has been misused, damaged
(by accident or otherwise), fired with handloaded, reloaded or improper
ammunition, fired with an obstruction in the barrel, damaged through failure
to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance as described in the manual
accompanying the firearm, or if unauthorized repair or any alteration, including
of a cosmetic nature, has been performed on the firearm. This limited warranty
does not apply to normal wear and tear of any parts. Subject to the foregoing,
this limited warranty confers the right to have the covered firearm or its parts
repaired, adjusted or replaced exclusively upon the original purchaser, which
right is not transferable to any other person. No implied warranties of any
kind are made herein and this warranty does not apply to any accessory items
attached or appurtenant to the firearm. In no event shall SIG SAUER be liable for
any incidental or consequential damages arising from or in connection with this
limited warranty.

It doesn't say anything in there about returning it to the vendor, or about having the vendor replace it. It says that Sig Sauer will repair or replace it, provided that the gun is returned to Sig Sauer at the owner's expense.

Seems pretty clear to me that's what the OP should "expect." If his FFL is willing to help out in some way, that's great ... but IMHO he should not "expect" that.

I have NEVER heard of a dealer just exchanging a gun for a new one, and I think it's unreasonable to expect that. But ... I'm only 73 years old, so maybe I just haven't lived long enough.

I guess you haven't lived long enough :). I'm older than you :o, but I can relate that my lgs has let me return two pistols that I bought new after only a couple of days elapsed. Neither pistol was fired but, in the first case, I bought a new Jericho and decided (belatedly) that I'd rather have the at the time just introduced USP 40 (a trade, with me paying the difference). The second time involved a CZ pistol that had one of the worst triggers I've ever experienced. Got a refund on that one.

Quote:
The second time involved a CZ pistol that had one of the worst triggers I've ever experienced.
The CZ Model 100?

Yep. I eventually got a CZ 85 that I'm ok with in terms of the trigger-not nearly the best trigger pull but acceptable for a pistol intended for self-defense and not Bullseye competition. The Model 100 I had was good for nothing in terms of its trigger-though it was just one sample; maybe others have had a better experience with them.

I also expect things I buy new to work out of the box. I think most of us do. Sometimes they don't, and that's what warranties are for. But it's important to remember who issues and stands behind the warranty ... and that usually is NOT the vendor, it's usually the manufacturer.
If it has been a while of course, If it's been a few days and the gun is broken out of the box.. the I disagree.

I used the example of a new car. If I buy a new Ford, and it has a problem with something, yes I take it back to the dealer. But the dealer isn't responsible for fixing it. First, the dealer has to call the factory. The factory has to authorize a repair, and only after that does the dealer fix it. The factory pays the dealer for the time and any parts expended in making the repair.
Car's a bit different.. for one there is a lot of paper work that comes along with a car, registration (I dunno how many states that have gun registration but mine does not) is mandatory in all states.

I would not expect to exchange a car at a dealer if it has problems.
A gun on the other hand the dealer has to put it back on his books and can be shipped back to the distributor or mfg.. not to many people taking their cars down to USPS to send them back to the mfg.

Most local gun shops are not factory authorized repair depots for the firearms they sell. Most new firearms come with a warranty, and the warranty is issued by the manufacturer. Sig has a limited lifetime warranty on their firearms. Here's what it says (taken directly from a Sig owner's manual):
They don't need to be authorized repair shop all they need to do is either take the gun back in exchange or refund.

Whoa, The mighty wall of large bold text.. hmm.
Well let me ask you this was the warranty disclosed to the seller before they bought the gun or afterwards when they opened it up and read it at the back of the manual?

It doesn't say anything in there about returning it to the vendor, or about having the vendor replace it. It says that Sig Sauer will repair or replace it, provided that the gun is returned to Sig Sauer at the owner's expense.

Seems pretty clear to me that's what the OP should "expect." If his FFL is willing to help out in some way, that's great ... but IMHO he should not "expect" that.
If a shop told me to take a hike in this situation I'd do what they say and wouldn't be back.

Well we have different "expectations", That's fine, enjoy sending your gun off at your own expense and waiting 4-6 weeks for your NIB gun.

Good thing this isn't Ruger, technically they have no warranty last I knew, Of course you don't find this out till you open up the box and Ruger has a rep of doing right by customers.. but since you're so caught up in what "mfg warranties" say I thought I'd give you a heads up.

P.S I would STILL take it to the dealer.. even if you're willing to swallow shipping cost and time the dealer can send back via USPS I think fedex and ups both require over night shipping and you can not send a handgun thru the postal service.

Someone correct me if Im wrong there.

The dealer will be able to send back cheaper.

I think the implied warranty applies. § 2-314. Implied Warranty: Merchantability; Usage of Trade.

(1) Unless excluded or modified (Section 2-316), a warranty that the goods shall be merchantable is implied in a contract for their sale if the seller is a merchantwith respect to goods of that kind. Under this section the serving for value of food or drink to be consumed either on the premises or elsewhere is a sale.

(2) Goodsto be merchantable must be at least such as
•(a) pass without objection in the trade under the contractdescription; and
•(b) in the case of fungible goods, are of fair average quality within the description; and
•(c) are fit for the ordinary purposes for which such goodsare used; and
•(d) run, within the variations permitted by the agreement, of even kind, quality and quantity within each unit and among all units involved; and
•(e) are adequately contained, packaged, and labeled as the agreementmay require; and
•(f) conform to the promise or affirmations of fact made on the container or label if any.

(3) Unless excluded or modified (Section 2-316) other implied warranties may arise from course of dealing or usage of trade.

Back