What Usually Happens

I don't like to complain online about any gun problems related to manufacturer.

This is, of course, your right. We encourage people to describe their problems, and how they get resolved. Whether or not you get good faith service from the maker and the retailer you bought it from.

Stating what is, what the gun does, or doesn't do, and what the people you deal with about it do, or don't do, isn't complaining. it's sharing experience.

Whining or going on a rant about how all a maker's products are junk, because yours jammed when you fired it upside down, under water, is complaining! And we do discourage that.

Sorry, but this whole thread about a "mystery gun" seems so stupid. :confused:

The OP has dodged naming the gun several times and no good reason exists except he's having a jolly good time stringing along well-meaning forum members.

Last edited:
He said it was a new gun. New guns come with owner's manuals. Owner manuals tell you the what and how to field strip the gun- if deemed necessary by the maker.

Something just doesn't jive.....

I also don't get the OP's desire to keep the manufacturer a "Big Secret". What the heck is it. If you wanted help, the experts here need particulars.

I think a lot of you missed my point. I am not seeking help on how to fix the gun, I am trying to determine what you would expect out of a dealer if you bought a new gun from them and it was defective. I mean, would you expect them to give you another gun, send it back on their dime, or what.

I guess since it looks like I might get banished from the forum if I don't tell you what model it is I guess I will have to tell you. Cslinger guessed it right. It is a Sig 320 Carry. I am not a small man and don't have small hands. I am not what you would call weak either, but my thumb is sore enough from trying to turn the slide lever release I feel like going to the Emergency Room and asking for some pain killers. :)

It is a simple procedure to remove the slide per the manual : Pull the slide back and lock it back with the manual slide button. ( mag removed ) turn the slide lever clockwise until it will not turn because it hits the stop, and then pull the slide off. Trouble is I cannot get the release lever to turn more than an 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. I could put the gun in a vise and take a screw driver and beat it with a hammer and maybe free it up or maybe screw something else up ... but it is an NEW gun. It is a simple procedure just like with my 92F. So I guess I will let the factory or dealer worry about it. I will know soon enough about what the dealer will do since I will be leaving on the trip about 12.

I know this is a good gun from one of the best manufacturers in the business and that is why I didn't think I needed to tell everybody what it was. I didn't think that would be productive. But now you know. I just hope my experience does not influence anyone else from buying one because I think it is an excellent gun. I know I am going to enjoy it when I get it fixed or get another one.

I would just like to add that my wife was more upset about this than I was. The gun was a birthday present from her. She even used her credit card :)

that is why I didn't think I needed to tell everybody what it was. I didn't think that would be productive.

It's potentially productive, because different guns have different quirks, and different people here have experience with different gun designs.

I am trying to determine what you would expect out of a dealer if you bought a new gun from them and it was defective.

I would expect the dealer to either be able to demonstrate the proper take down, replace the gun (if they have more of that model on hand) or handle shipping to the manufacturer for repair.

Might be worth going to a closer seller if you have one just to handle another P320 just to compare and contrast.

That being said SIG, ever since Cohen, took over has had spotty QC and it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that you got a gun with something out of spec or some kind of burr or foreign particle causing an issue. The 320 is arguably a Very good gun so it's definitely not a problem endemic to the platform.

In my experience most gun sales are final unless you have a good relationship with the seller and chances are you will need to contact SIG and have them make it right.

The good news is even though SIG QC seems to have suffered in the past 10 years or so their customer service still seems pretty good and I don't doubt they will take care of you if you go this route.

My guess is even though you may be soured on the 320 out of the gate you will probably ultimately love it as most all folks I know with them do.

If the seller does a return or exchange all the better hope whatever you end up with works out better for you.

For what it's worth I have seen Wilson Combats and Ed Browns need a trip back to the mothership for a tweaking here and there so stuff happens whether it's $500 Glock perfection or $3500 I just got a divorce over this 1911 grandeur :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You are getting hung up on the manufacture of the gun. The OP does not want to make this about bashing or defending the manufacturer of the gun and is curious as to what the proper procedure is.

This is where it really depends on the service level you are going to get from your dealer. Some dealers wash their hands of it and instruct you to see the manufacturer. Others may step up and help out (the various state and federal firearm transfer laws do make it more complicated then returning a TV). its going to vary based on manufacturer and dealer.

I was gonna guess a P320. The take down lever is not bent. It is notoriously difficult to turn. Use a pair of pliers with duct tape on the teeth.

The reason for the tightness is that it also locks in place the firing control module. It is a feature . . .

Where I'm from, all firearms sales are final. That's why some people get frustrated with big box stores that won't let you handle an unlocked firearm in the store. Some places or dealers may offer to be the middle man between you and the manufacturer. But I believe you I'll have to get the pistol straightened out by the manufacturer.

I think a lot of you missed my point. I am not seeking help on how to fix the gun, I am trying to determine what you would expect out of a dealer if you bought a new gun from them and it was defective. I mean, would you expect them to give you another gun, send it back on their dime, or what.
We aren't fortune tellers.
Call the dealer and ask them.

I've got a Sig 320 Compact. The lever can a bitch but by no means is it a thumb breaker.

Will be curious to the outcome. It's a fine gun by the way, I won mine at an NBA event but I wouldn't have regretted dropping cash for one either.

The OP got the answer to his question.
He didn't ask how to strip it, or if it was working right. He only wanted to know what he should do, return to dealer or manufacturer.

He did get some good advice on verifying it was defective but the rest of it sounds like a bunch of kids on the playground harrassing one kid who won't open his fingers to show the others what's in the palm of his hand.

but the rest of it sounds like a bunch of kids on the playground harrassing one kid who won't open his fingers to show the others what's in the palm of his hand.
Or possibly trying to save him the embarrassment of going all the way to the dealer only to watch them wiggle the guide rod a little, and move the takedown lever enough to take the slide off.
Sounds like a very likely possibility, and worth trying now that the secrecy of the gun is over.:D

Grits by not telling us what gun it is means someone else might buy that gun and have the same problem. You could have helped them avoid that pistol or at least be aware of the problem

Grits by not telling us what gun it is means someone else might buy that gun and have the same problem. You could have helped them avoid that pistol or at least be aware of the problem
It's ok we peer pressured the hell out of him and he finally gave it up :D, sig 320c

Back