What "type" of gun do you use to introduce newbies?

22 bolt action rifle (if possible)
22 SA revolver
22 DA revolver
22 automatic
32 revolver
32 automatic (Colt 1903)
380 automatic (Colt Government)
38 special revolver
9mm automatic
etc.

I've taught quite a few people to shoot. Some of my low-recoil handguns I bought specifically to help my daughter learn.

Well, it seems like the answer to this question,,,

Well, it seems like the answer to this question,,,
Is like the answer to all gun questions.

There is no overwhelming consensus. :p

I did read and tried to digest all of the posts in this thread,,,
There were some very compelling arguments for all sides.

As far as I am concerned though,,,
I believe I'll stick with my original method,,,
SA/DA revolver with exposed hammer then the same in a semi..

Aarond

The only thing we shooters have a consensus on is safety.
For beginners, KISS is the guiding principle.
Nowadays I would start a new shooter with an air pistol or rifle, good way to spend a miserable rainy, snowy, icy stay at home day.
Start off with safety instructions and emphasize safety until it becomes second nature to them.
A bolt action 22 loaded single shot only. I don't believe in those kiddie rifles, let them learn safety habits and thinking from Day One.
A handgun-probably start them with a semiautomatic since they have become more common. Probably an hour or more of dry firing to let them get the feel of it, learn to keep the finger off the trigger until ready to fire. Also I do it the old fashioned way, Bullseye style, IMHO that's how you learn to shoot a handgun.
A 22 of course.

Same types, Different guns

Aarondhgraham makes an excellent case for the type of handguns that he uses to train newbies, and I actually use the exact same types of handguns, except that the guns that I use are different.

Whenever I instruct a new shooter, the two handguns that come out of my gun safe are:

Smith & Wesson Model 17
and Walther P22.

Most new shooters will opt for the Walther P22 first because of its low weight and adjustable grip size, then transition to the heavier revolver later on.

I love gun control. It lets me hit what I'm shooting at!

I'll add that I watch the beginner shooter like a hawk. When I introduced my wife to shooting, I explained the rules. During the course, I mentioned something and she just pivoted with the gun starting to turn across the shooting line.. I just grabbed the gun to stop her. That's how fast it happens

What type of guns do you prefer to use when introducing a newbie?

I only have one revolver, an LCR, which isn't really suitable for most newbies. Accordingly, I don't teach newbies with a revolver. I should fix that.

For semiauto pistols, Ruger .22s. I have a Standard and a couple of Mk IVs. Those work well. Everyone likes those, but the one that always makes the big impression is the suppressed 22/45 Lite.

For rifles, a .22 bolt gun. In my case, a Ruger American Rimfire. I usually take the 10/22 along as well, so that they can try a semiauto as well.

Depending on the newbie, I may take a few other things along. First things first, though. I need to be sure they're not going to shoot anybody (like me) accidentally before we move onto anything bigger.

Have done 3 or 4 w/ 22 LR--revolver or Mark III.

Im sure like the previous poster noted a suppressed would be BETTER but I dont have one.

It DEPENDS on the "new shooter". Does "NS" have something now? What is it.
What is thier previous experience?

A complete never own, then what is the desire?

For a just getting started, then a .22 Rifle,single shot or mag- feed, with single loading.
Couple years ago, the forum had a posting from a "Ga."female trying to CRAM life-time of shooting in a week.
Isuggested she get a tube of tennis balls, and use one to strenthen her hand and forearm muscles tohelpsteady the firearm and to get light "tsrget loads" to minimuze the recoil effect and concentrate of sight alignment.
The Moderator "PAX" chimed in to assist and helpedher, also.

Wife and I were discussing this just last eve. She shot my Mark III 22 LR.
I think next ios 66 w/ 38 loads. Only problem is I have some LARGE grips on the 66 and Im having trouble finding the OEMs.

I told here some dumba55s take their girlfriends out and let em shoot their 44 mag and the lady never wants to shoot again.

Back