What to do about Defacing National Monuments...

I don't think the punishment would carry a $50.00 fine.
If you damage someones property and convicted you usually have to repay the entire value.

Crucifying someone for spray painting on a wall is not right...it's a tragedy of mixing feelings and justice.

Except that in some cases (both with public and private property) the value is "irreplaceable." I'd say that's where monuments come in.

At which point I don't think short to medium prison terms (depending on the nature of the item vandalized) are inappropriate. Plus restitution to, as much as might be possible, restore the property damaged.

Though the one-way plane ticket idea still sounds nice to me.

If this had been a Muslim mosque, would it have made the news?

Would there be an outcry?

Would there be handwringing from politicians?

Would there be a rush to pass a law?

If this had been a Muslim mosque, would it have made the news?

Miscellaneous vandalism not including a call to violence? I've seen blurbs about it in the news generally, but not exactly front page coverage even when it's local. Depends on the nature and extent of the vandalism, I'd wager.

Would there be an outcry?

From Muslims, maybe. And understandably. Seems like veterans (including myself) aren't too happy about this, judging from the responses here. As far as from non-Muslims, any "outcry" other than a "that sucks" would probably be largely blown out of proportion by a bunch of people people playing the "PC card."

I think a large part of the muted reaction to this is that due to the nature of the vandalism it wasn't immediately clear what had even happened or what the intent was. It's not really analogous to a bunch of racist slogans spray-painted on a mosque...that would be much more clear.

Would there be handwringing from politicians?

Maybe, maybe not. Not sure what you're getting at, but I'm guessing you're wrong.

Would there be a rush to pass a law?

Hate crime laws are already passed. Pretty sure veterans are one of the many groups not covered by them. Not sure we need to be, either.

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0907/456354.html

Chop their hands off like in Suadi Arabia.

While me and my girlfriend were in DC during the Cherry Blossom festival, I wanted to see the WW2 memorial because my grandfather fought in the Pacific and had yet to see it. While there people were in the water like it was a pool :barf:. Just a total lack of respect made me sick. One old vet was pointing at the signs that said keep out of the water. I said something to a couple people in the water and it wasn't very nice and then my girlfriend wanted to leave saying I was going to start a fight:rolleyes:.

Crucifying someone for spray painting on a wall is not right...it's a tragedy of mixing feelings and justice.

First off, it wasn't spray paint. The substance was an "oily type residue" that has stained the wall.

This isn't an American flag that was bought from flags 'r' us. It's a national momument. IMO, it's bad enough that veterans have to see one having the "right" to burn it, more less not being able to read their fellow lost ones on The Wall. Then, on top of that, many people appear to not want to provide severe punishment and set an example for others to see what happens when symbols of America is DEFACED...

I think I'd like the individual(s) be confined to continue working until the bill is paid off for repair. No going anywhere except work, essential errands, then home. When the bill is paid, give the convict the ticket out of the country with revoked citizenship...never to step foot on our soil again for any reason...

Maybe not that, but maybe placing of independent non-detrimental additions to the monument like a statue or an additional slab might be. Something to say something in addition to, not superimposed over or otherwise detracting to, could be a fair way of going about it. That way you're not taking away from someone else's speech while adding your own.

Could non permanent graffiti on a National Monument be deemed protected speech?

It could but I don’t believe this to be the case as there was no "message" just simple vandalism of the monument.

However I do not believe the person deserves any sort of special punishment, just a large fine. In the end it is only stone, and he/she is still a person

Do you recall the graffite incident in Singapore when an American juvenile was caned. May be we should consider the same type of punishment?

Do you recall the graffite incident in Singapore when an American juvenile was caned. May be we should consider the same type of punishment?

I generally don't think we should look to Singapore (or, for that matter, Saudi Arabia) for tips on how to improve our justice system. :D

Actually for various sex crimes I think caning would be very appropriate. Perhaps as well for any attempts for Congress to add an item to the budget or pass a new law--if the sponsor(s) take a caning for it, then it deserves to be voted on, otherwise require they drop it.

Could non permanent grafitti on a National Monument be deemed protected speech?

No. Same as painting "fire" on the screen of a crowded theater, I think.

Make 'em hand dig a grave at Arlington with a spoon.

No. Same as painting "fire" on the screen of a crowded theater, I think.

Really? Suppose I go over to the Vietnam Memorial and paint the words" These folks died to protect the corrupt imperialistic regime of the US"

Or paint across the supreme court building "Millions of babies have died in this place"

Not protected speech ?

WildcouldntthemereactofvandalismbespeechAlaska TM

I'm not a vet and I see it as more than a "stone". The person who did this is not a person nothing but a scum. This is Federal property right? They should get some time in Federal prison to think about it. Or maybe DC jail I don't know which would be more enjoyable.

Wildalaska said:
Really? Suppose I go over to the Vietnam Memorial and paint the words" These folks died to protect the corrupt imperialistic regime of the US"

Or paint across the supreme court building "Millions of babies have died in this place"

Not protected speech ?
Nope, it's not. Was this your personal property that was painted?

Since the act of "painting" involves property (something upon which to use as the "canvas"), your right to (this form of) political speech ends when you take it to property that is not yours (but you knew this from the outset).

Since the act of "painting" involves property (something upon which to use as the "canvas"), your right to (this form of) political speech ends when you take it to property that is not yours (but you knew this from the outset).

I've actually seen that as a (unsucessful) defense btw.

What about (fake) blood tossing?

Wildchangedfactsandalcomeonegivesomeoneelseachance:)Alaska

I think we should defer to singapore since they seem to be the leader in dealing with the pissants of society. What was it that they gave that kid some 5 years ago. A nice caning and community service.

I think a bullwhip or something equivalent and then several years of community service would be appropriate. Possibly some jail time.

As far as this being political speech, no dice. To my knowledge, the law has never carved out an exception allowing one to deface property that is not their own. Of course, eminent domain was never intended to be used for private reasons either, so who knows. All else being equal however, there is no reason for people to deface monuments as a part of political speech.

Huge fines and community service at a VA hospital.

It can be repaired/replaced (not like the Mona Lisa as was mentioned earlier). That part is taken care of with the fine to pay for it.

It was incredibly disrespectful to veterans. Community service at a VA hospital will teach them what their actions actually mean.

It could but I don’t believe this to be the case as there was no "message" just simple vandalism of the monument.

However I do not believe the person deserves any sort of special punishment, just a large fine. In the end it is only stone, and he/she is still a person

I won't even dignify with a response...

I think a bullwhip or something equivalent and then several years of community service would be appropriate. Possibly some jail time.

Maybe flogged 39 times with a cat & nine?

Back