What the reviews on ProMag magazines??

I've had pretty good luck with the Promags I own and have owned over the decades. They have all worked and so far been as reliable as any other make.

My brother bought a Promag Magazine for his Taurus TCP once and he ended up having to watch a video tutorial on how to modify the lips to make it feed reliably.

Personally, I'd only buy a Promag if it were extremely cheap or no other options were readily available because all I've ever heard about Promag Mags is how unreliable they tend to be.

Off question but on topic, if the OP doesn't mind terribly; what is the consensus on ETS mags around these parts?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I own 8 of the Pro-Mag 20 round mags for my Mini-14 and they work as well as the factory 20 round mag. Just a few months ago I bought a used Taurus TCP and wanted a spare mag. Academy had them new from ProMag.

It works fine but because it is just a little thicker by .010 than the factory mag it will not jump out of the gun when the release button is pushed. You have to pull it out. Not a big deal I suppose.

I emailed and called Promag about this hoping to get a proper working mag. They sent an email saying they would get back with me but never did. Thats the big deal with me. I guess I have their answer. My response will be "I will never buy another ProMag branded magazine again".

My Sig P220 did ok with Promags. A friend's did not.
Ragged edge crapshoot.

I gave friends ETS Glock magazines for Christmas. Two work, mine works, one doesn't. "Customer service" being tested.

I had a bunch of them when I use to shoot the LCP. Never had a problem at all. Obviously not the quality of the Beretta Pico mags, but they worked. Came in handy for the amount of shooting I was doing with that gun. The edges were rough and I honed them down, but they ran fine and then I would toss them and buy more.

Pro mags are so bad I'd rather single feed.

Interestingly enough the only ProMag I own is a 20rd (with a single round follower) I currently use for HP competition...a co-worker gave it to me when I built my first AR and it only took a couple of tries for me to deem it unworthy of anything but to throw at something. That is until I wanted a dedicated mag to use for single loading LOL...at least it holds the bolt open after every shot. And it's on the heavy side, which works for what I use it for.

Strong 'no buy' from me if you want to use it as most folks use a magazine

over the years I've tried Pro-mags in several different guns without success. my advise to listen to folks that have actually tried them, and to avoid Pro-mag.

I don't think I have EVER encountered a ProMag. If they ARE so bad how do they stay in business?
because unlike the OP, there are suckers born every minute. always somebody out there looking for a cheap something and no first hand experience so they roll the dice and end up buying McGar et al. down the road anyway. the same with holsters. neophytes don't want to spend $65 on up on a quality holster so the nylon uncle mike's stuff count's on them.

Last edited:
I foolishly tried promag mags in the past and all were total crap and a waste of money.
They're great to load and use as paper weights, or empty to wedge my garage door open, but utterly worthless for their intended purpose.

Sometimes they work, but often they don't. I have had them over the years for smith and Wesson 5900 series, Mini 14 and my Kahr.

The Mini mags will work OK most of the time but the original 5900 mag was a horrible fit but fed ok. The Kahr mags were junk. Gun won't feed with them but will with factory mags.

Promag is generally junk, with a few exceptions.

OP is listing a S&W 39-2... from what little I know, this actually is one of those exceptions. I've got a couple and they've run ok for this gun, and I seem to recall someone over at the S&W forum saying the Promags are actually pretty good IN THAT MODEL. And also, the OEM mags are hard to find.

The other gun where promags are acceptable is my doublestack Makarov. That's because the OEM mags are extremely rare, and usually sell for over $100. Even the promags go for over $50 if you can find them. I was extremely fortunate to buy a couple at list price ($20), and they run ok.

The only ProMag that I own is one that I bought many years ago for a Bersa 383A (predecessor of the Thunder 380). Bersa mags were crazy expensive for such an inexpensive little gun, so I bought the ProMag.

When I first tried it, the mag's feed lip interfered with the slide stop, and it wouldn't seat correctly. Some judicious and careful filing solved that problem, and it worked 100% after that. It's still in the gun.

I never bought another one, though.

The only ProMag that I own is one that I bought many years ago for a Bersa 383A (predecessor of the Thunder 380). Bersa mags were crazy expensive for such an inexpensive little gun, so I bought the ProMag.

When I first tried it, the mag's feed lip interfered with the slide stop, and it wouldn't seat correctly. Some judicious and careful filing solved that problem, and it worked 100% after that. It's still in the gun.

I never bought another one, though.
I bought three Pro Mags for my Bersa 383A when CDNN had them on sale for $13.00 each. I had to perform the same modification. They all performed well after that.
Gary

ProMags are highly recommended by the knowledgeable and friendly table dealers at gun shows in this area ... ;)

Back