What the reviews on ProMag magazines??

jrothWA

I looking to get three magazzine tomatch my elctro-nickle M39-2.

Seems that Meg-gar doesn't manufactured them??

For years I heard stories of how ProMags were terrible. Last year I bought a used P228. It came with a ProMag. By outward appearance it was fine. The magazine body looked fine, the follower didn’t tilt, and the spring pressure seemed decent. I had more failures in the first magazine than in years of shooting. I’m actually amazed by it. To make something that outwardly seems so fine and yet is such a complete failure. I am not sure I could do it if I tried.

This was just one magazine. Samples of one aren’t very useful I know, but after owning it I could see why people are so strongly opinionated about ProMags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are no bargain since you'll end up throwing them away after wasting ammo testing them. Factory mags or mecgar in my book.

It's a shame Smith has totally abandoned the model 39's even as far as the things I consider consumable.

I've heard second hand reports that ProMag has upped its game on single stack mags but can't bring myself to spend money to find out.

Here's a Smith mag that will fit and work in a M39 but it holds one more round and does not fit flush.

https://www.brownells.com/magazines...px?avs|Make~~Model_1=Smith%20%26%20Wesson__39

Numrich sells one they call a reproduction but don't tell who makes it.

Best of luck.

Agree with unclenunzie, get the factory mags regardless of cost, it will be cheaper in the long run and you don't need your range time to be frustrating .

I borrowed a ProMag magazine for my Sig P6, and the darn thing wouldn’t drop free from the gun. So I was able to score a few OEM magazines at a decent price, but these are getting like hens teeth.

Thanks, brothers!

Back to prowling thelesseor known gunshows.

Five years ago, struck gold with a S&W card for two m39 magazines,$40!

Never thought my hands could move so fast!!

While I'm a firm believer in OEM and Mec Gar, sometimes ProMag will work if you want to put the time into tweaking them. I personally don't.

It is kind of crazy that dimensionally they appear to be identical to factory but have all kinds of problems.

Agree, junk.

Bought a couple for a Sig, seemed fine, somehow made a pistol that eats anything flawlessly constantly jam. Fail, bought better mags..

Out of desperation (only thing around for capacity at the time) bought 1 for a mini 30, reviews were good. Actually fits so poorly I didn't even bother trying it. Fail.

Bought 3 for my Ruger Ranch 7.62 x 39.
They went in the trash! Not one would feed.
Bought three for my Sig P220.
Two worked OK but are not trusted.
I use the third to practice clearing malfunctions.

I haven't messed with ProMag in about 20 years. But, at that time, they were absolute garbage.

The only magazines that I've seen since then that got me just as frustrated were ASC AR mags. (Which cause .223 Rem to rim-lock! :eek:)

Tried one in a Browning High Power years ago and it didn't work. Last year I built a PCC AR in 45 ACP. I used a magazine well adapter that used H&K carbine magazines, which are very expensive. But the company that made the adapter used the ProMag version for development and they work fine. I guess if you build the gun for the mag it works, just not the other way around.

PRO MAGS are NOT what real PROS use

the name is misleading, a professional would never use a piece of junk like that

I'm NOT a Pro-Mag fan but...

I've had good success with SOME specific types of Pro-Mag magazines, and horrible experience with others.

Back during the Clinton hi-cap mag/assault weapons ban, a period during which CZ first introduced the compact-sized CZs, the Pro-Mag 10-rond magazines for the CZ-75B Compact in .40 (a gun that CZ never introduced, but had planned to sell).

When CZ later introduced .40 versions of those compact models, they had a bad time getting those magazines to work properly. The Pro-Mags 10-round .40 compact mags were a fall-back position. I don't think Pro-Mag makes them any more.

I picked up a couple of those mags and found that they worked perfectly with 9mm rounds, and held 14 rounds! A bunch of us on the CZ Forum at the time scarfed them up. (This was accelerated when we got a letter ruling from the ATF that said that using .40 mags loaded with 9mm round was a legal practice, as the mags were legal as purchased, nothing had been modified.)

I've also had them work well in Berettas and in guns that used the S&W Model 10 mags. But full-size CZ mags were always a disappointment. The problem was generally crappy springs, and unless you could buy a Pro-Mag for a lot less than a Mec-Gar or CZ factory mag, the cost of getting them to run right was prohibitive.

For non-1911s, I always go the Mec-Gar route -- if only because that for a number of years Mec-Gar made mags for most CZ models. (I don't know who CZ uses now for their different models, but think they make SOME mags for some models themselves, but outsource production for other models, selling them as OEM mags.)

I once bought some CZ Factory (full-size) magazines from CDNN, and when I opened the packages they were absolutely correct 10-rounders. I was surprised to find that markings on the back of the identifying paper insert showed that they had been made by Pro-Mag.

Pro-Mag can make good quality magazines that function as they should, at least when making them to gun-maker's specs, but they don't always do it with stuff that carries their own brand markings.

Gunparts wants $46.70 each for 9 round, factory, SS, 9mm, M39 mags. $38.25 for repro, factory(says the manufacturer is S&W), 8 round, blued, mags.
Oh and rumour has it that Promag stuff is low quality junk. They made No. 4 Lee-Enfield mags that were almost universally hated. I believe it's more about their QC than anything else.

Back