what skills/things should you pracrice for on preparing to defend yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted by g.willikers
Some people (police and military, for example) might get a pass when their bullets miss the intended target and hit something else

F'N REALLY? Try reading your state laws some time I am sure most state laws do not give a "Free pass" to LE if they hit a innocent bystander.

For instance ARS 13-401. Unavailability of justification defense; justification as defense

A. Even though a person is justified under this chapter in threatening or using physical force or deadly physical force against another, if in doing so such person recklessly injures or kills an innocent third person, the justification afforded by this chapter is unavailable in a prosecution for the reckless injury or killing of the innocent third person.

There is no exclusion for LE anywhere in there.

But feel free to spread misinformation!!

Last edited:
coyotewsm said:
g. Willikers what kind of training facility are you referring to? The only thing I know about in my area is the gun ranges that offer shooting classes.
Some of those might be a good start. Among other things, someone might be teaching the NRA classes, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home, near you.

And check out these threads:

A number of first rate instructors travel around. Massad Ayoob will be putting on his excellent MAG-40 class in Arkansas (in May and October) and Florida (in October). Check Tom Givens' schedule. The Second Amendment Foundation has started to put on training programs around the country.

You might need to travel a bit, but going off to a shooting class can make a nice vacation.

Expanding a little on that:

Avoid concentrating on smart-phones, gas pumps, or ATMs in public, or listening to music.
Do not walk close to cars, corners, alley openings, dumsters, etc.
Don't take long to get put things into or get into your car.
Don't sit in your car for very long.
Keep looking around.

If I have to worry about all that, I am moving - that is NOT the way to live your life - paranoid and worrying about every shadow in the parking lot. Being aware is one thing, going to this extreme is another......

If I have to worry about all that, I am moving - that is NOT the way to live your life - paranoid and worrying about every shadow in the parking lot. Being aware is one thing, going to this extreme is another......

Its called exclusion zone theory, the idea is that if you avoid certain conditions and circumstances you greatly reduce the chances of being a blip on the radar of the predatory criminal.

its no more "worrisome" or "paranoid" than wearing a seatbelt, walking in the light vs through a darken alley, locking your doors or having a fire extinguisher.

FireForged thanks for that started looking those up and the third one global TAC training group is led than 40 miles from where I live so I'm going check it out.

Posted by FITASC:
Where would you move? Do you not realize that criminal predators are mobile?

Do you really think that concentrating on smart-phones, gas pumps, or ATMs in public, or listening to music; walking close to cars, corners, alley openings, dumpsters, etc.; taking a long time to put things into or get into your car; and so in, on a manner that makes you vulnerable to violent criminal actor, is somehow a prudent way to live your life?

Would you really rather expose yourself to the risk of having to draw, and perhaps use. a firearm timely, in the gravest extreme?

Not I, thank you.

Another question I've been wanting to ask that I feel is related. I have heard a lot of people say they do this never heard anyone say they don't. Does everyone carry and extra mag with them?

I am probably in the minority but I do not carry any extra ammo. If I am carrying a revolver I have got 5 shots and if I am carrying a pistol I will have anywhere between 7-13 ( typically), thats it. I concede that is probably a very marginal attitude but never the less, I can and do accept it. If I carried a firearm occupationally and had a duty to protect others, I would certainly carry extra ammo and probably a backup gun as well, but that is not my situation. I will say that carrying extra ammo is not a bad thing. Its just that carrying a firearm already stretches the limits of what I consider a acceptable inconvenience.

I carry at least one reload, and more as clothing/circumstances allow.

I don't expect to ever have need of one, but it's a trivial adjustment to hedge against unlikely circumstances. If the "cost" (in terms of hassle) were higher, I'd likely not carry a spare.

Sometimes it's an extra gun instead of (or in addition to) my primary. This is pretty typical for the "I have to be on the street in a big city" situation.

There are very rare circumstances where I'd have only an LCP with 7+1 in the gun, and nothing else.

I was just xurious. I havent got my permit yet so I havent been out in public but I kinda feel like carrying around the gun is going to be enough extra weight as it is. My firearm capicity gives me 15+1 so I feel that ought to would be enough.

I kinda feel like carrying around the gun is going to be enough extra weight as it is. My firearm capicity gives me 15+1 so I feel that ought to would be enough.

I dont disagree and basically feel the same as you do about that. This is probably a good example of me not setting the best example LOL. If someone were to ask me if they should carry a extra mag or speed loader, I would probably tell them that they should. I dont but thats just me.

My firearm capicity gives me 15+1 so I feel that ought to would be enough.
The advantage of an extra mag would be the ability to clear a malfunction quickly.

A second gun is quicker for most people who do not practice reloading.

Where would you move? Do you not realize that criminal predators are mobile?

Do you really think that concentrating on smart-phones, gas pumps, or ATMs in public, or listening to music; walking close to cars, corners, alley openings, dumpsters, etc.; taking a long time to put things into or get into your car; and so in, on a manner that makes you vulnerable to violent criminal actor, is somehow a prudent way to live your life?

Would you really rather expose yourself to the risk of having to draw, and perhaps use. a firearm timely, in the gravest extreme?

Not I, thank you.

I don't use ATMs or concentrate on my smart phone, or hang around alleys or dunpsters - I guess I just live a normal life in a normal area . As I said, bring aware is one thing, not hitting the C-store at 3AM, etc. Sorry where you live seems to suck that bad.

I would move to an area where I wouldn't need to be so paranoid; and there are thousands of those locales.

Defensive driving is considered "responsible" but apply the same logic to navigating public spaces on foot and its "paranoid".

Some would say that Defensive driving may be things like:

focus, keep eyes moving, alertness, avoiding hazards, maintaining visibility, avoidance techniques, adapt to your environment, 2 second rule, routine scan and check in all directions. Is this paranoid?

Posted by FITASC:
I don't use ATMs....
Good.
... or concentrate on my smart phone,...
Good.

or hang around alleys or dunpsters -
Neither do most people, but "hang around" is not the operative term.

Most people do, however, walk to and from their automobiles and to and from restaurants, stores, and so on.

That can take them past openings of alleys, corners of buildings, dumpsters, vans, and any number of other locations that can afford an attacker and his associates with opportunities for ambush.

When it happens, with surprise and with explosive violence, the effectiveness of "skills/things...for preparing to defend yourself" will be markedly reduced. The defender needs warning, time, and distance.

I guess I just live a normal life in a normal area.
Whatever you think that means...

As I said, bring aware is one thing, not hitting the C-store at 3AM, etc.
Good thinking!

Sorry where you live seems to suck that bad.
It does not.

I would move to an area where I wouldn't need to be so paranoid;
Are you qualified to diagnose paranoia? I am speaking of prudence.

Think about it: do you really believe that a couple of criminals who are looking for someone to rob, or to car-jack, or to car-jack and kidnap and take someone to an ATM for money, would be inclined to hunt in bad neighborhoods, or do you think they would be more likely to try their luck in more prosperous areas?

...and there are thousands of those locales.
Are you thinking of gated communities, and of staying inside them all the time?

... Sorry where you live seems to suck that bad.

I would move to an area where I wouldn't need to be so paranoid; and there are thousands of those locales. ...

I live in one of the statistically safest towns in the U.S. It'd nickname is "the bubble", because it has a reputation of nothing bad ever happening.

There is still violent crime here. There is violent crime everywhere. Some of the most heinous murders have occurred in places where "stuff like that doesn't happen here". You don't get to choose whether or not you'll be the object of some criminal's interest. Behaving in a sensible fashion to reduce the likelihood isn't dependent upon location.

If someone thinks differently, they are engaging in pure fantasy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back