What Shotgun for Bears?

if we are talking pure defense against bears

a revolver shotgun gotta be the best

what other rifle could you reliably get of a second shot with if the bear tackles you?

a 16 inch barrel or even better a sbr(s) double action would be ideal

Husqvarna, you could reliably get off several shots with a 450 Bushmaster. Not that it would be my ideal bear gun, but I sure can shoot mine very fast.

Killing an animal in defense of life or property (DLP).

Have you seen that Southpark episode where the hunters all shout "It's coming right for us"?

you could reliably

but still a semi, I may be oldfashioned but I prefer my actions to be manual
especially against your kind of bears, our brown bears are not as big as your grizzlies

I have owned semis for hunting. my benelli argo was dead reliable, never a hickup, not with any kind of ammo, but I wasn't magdumping 30round magazines or anything (I only had a 4 and 10round magazine) still opted to go basck to a bolt because it was nagging in the back of my mind

I really think that semi autos are as reliable as bolt actions. When under duress, I trust the auto loading mechanism to function properly better than I trust myself to function properly. It is pretty easy to jam up a bolt action (especially a push feed) when you are working the mechanism under extreme stress. We trust the auto loading mechanism and the bolt mechanism when we are hunting the most dangerous predator on earth, other men.

If it's black bears, I'd opt for a 10mm Glock in an attack, because I can still engage if he is on me. For approaching a downed bear, your shotgun makes sense, though come to think of it I wouldn't snub a gas-op auto either. My wife's Wetberby SA-08 has been dead reliable.

We trust the auto loading mechanism and the bolt mechanism when we are hunting the most dangerous predator on earth, other men

but hunting "man" ai combat most shots taken are suppresive fire and so on

big dangerous game hunters use 2 shot doubles or 3-4shot bolts for a reason

hunting is about well aimed shots first, fast second

I trust myself to function properly. It is pretty easy to jam up a bolt action (especially a push feed) when you are working the mechanism under extreme stress.

properly trained it really is muscle memory

I don't claim to be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ob0fgc0I7A

but still, reloading happens to me atleast without thought

First moose I took with my BLR, dad called out on the radio asking if it was me because I reloaded and shot so fast:D

Husqvarna, we are talking about back up guns here, not the primary weapon. My friend, who has a lot more money than me, has killed 7 grizzly and two Kodiak's. His primary weapon was a 340 WBY mag. Never needed his 44 mag back up revolver.
Having said that, the only gun he would shoot elephants, RINO, and nyati with was a 458 win mag.

^ There is a woman here in Montana who found that a bit small for old M'bogo. Got tore up pretty good by one. Shoots a 470 NE now I believe.

Last edited:
In Florida you hang a feeder, you get Bears. I carry an 870 with a 20" smooth bore slug barrel and an extended Carlson turkey choke loaded with 00/buck. The Bears do not fear humans and there are lot of them. According to the FWC you suppose to fend off and attack with rocks and sticks. If you bring a weapon to use, you better be bleeding.

Attachments

• CDY_0018.jpg
    CDY_0018.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 24
  • 20170308_105603_resized.jpg
    20170308_105603_resized.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 24
Since the gun is for backup, you need light, compact, effective and reliable. I would get a carbine length AR15. It shoots hard and accurately while shooting 30 rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger. They have been effective for the military for 50+ years and if it is good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Have to ask what you mean by a backup gun being a guide? Is it to put down an animal that has been shot already or defensive purposes? A 12 ga pump shotgun is hard to beat. I would personally lean toward a heavier caliber rifle even if it is a tad large for black bear hunting purposes. Probably something along the line of a 45-70 lever gun. I view it as "protecting" your clients. I would also carry a handgun.

There is no way I would carry an AR-15 style rifle for a backup for political/client relation reasons as a guide.

Pick the gun you want to defend yourself against a T. Rex Dinosaur.

In my case....Remington 870 police gun with magnum slugs.

Back