What Shotgun for Bears?

bigamehunter

Inactive
Hey guys, I'm trying to start a guiding business for black bears and thinking a reliable 12ga mite be a good gun for me to carry as a backup. But which one? I've mostly been going between 870 magnum, 500, and 835. Would like some input to help me decide. Also still open to other suggestions... shotgun vs. big bore lever?
Thanks in advance,
Mitch

I don't let bears have shotguns.

Apart from the poor attempt at humor, black bears are easy to kill (in spite of all the pseudo-scientific opinions on the internet), so just about any shotgun with a slug will kill one right now. Or a hunting rifle (again, just pick one). No need for heavy artillery.

We have the biggest black bears in the country here and people seem to grab just about anything to go hunting them. Like Scorch says, they are not that tough, but they are unbelievably fast.

Almost any rifle with decent bullets outperfroms 12 ga slugs on bear, don't even think about buckshot. Black bear ain't hard to kill and are almost never aggressive. A handgun in 10mm, 357 or 44 mag would be a lot easier to carry around. Almost any 12 ga pump with a shorter slug barrel with sights would work, but of the long guns I own I'd probably use my 6 lb Marlin in 44 mag in case a wounded bear needed to be finished.

I vote for the Remington but not a new one. If you can find a used 870 that is well broken in w/o being worn out, that would be my 1st choice.
At one time, I considered myself pretty handy with a pump shotgun and first shot on target speed can be amazing--faster than drawing big honkin handgun. Unless you're well versed on a lever action, the pump gun may be faster on follow up shots.
At the ranges you might need to use the gun, a smooth bore will be adequate although there may be better choices of slug for rifled bores. Plain old Forster lead slugs may not have the penetration needed for frontal body shots on the bigger animals. In a couple of instances, I saw Forster type slugs fully penetrate broadside shots on 175-225# bears but shoulder shots might be asking too much.

Remington Premier 2 3/4 Bonded slug:
385gr @ 1850fps, 2900 ft. lbs energy
I think this might match and 44 mag load.

Mobuck is right on. A good used, earlier Remington 870 wingmaster will have machined parts made of quality steel, and not cast, and breakage prone stuff like the "New" cheapened Remingtons.

I assume that because you are thinking about guiding that you currently hunt, probably very often. I would recommend using whatever you currently hunt with. You are already familiar with it and will likely be faster and more accurate with it. When you NEED a gun....The one you can shoot fast and on target NOW is better than one you are still getting accustomed to..

Thanks for the replies. If you don't mind let's go back to the 870 vs. 500 Vs. 835
Would like to hear more on that. And I will check out the wingmasters.
Thanks again,
Mitch

I don't think you could go wrong with any of your choices. I hunt turkeys with both Mossy and Remmie pumps. I prefer the Mossy because of the safety position on top the receiver as opposed to the trigger guard, but other than that neither has ever failed me. I have both an older 870 Wingmaster and a newer 3 1/2" 870 express. Only difference is the longer stroke on the 3 1/2 er.

I understand a preference for steel parts, but for handling and ergonomics I'd choose the Mossberg over Remington every time. Not only for the safety location as buck460XVR mentioned, but the slide release as well.
Just seems to be more user friendly and quicker handling to me over the Remington, but both are proven designs so it's really just your preference.
I don't see the option of 3 1/2 inch shells in an 835 necessary over the 500 3 inch, but it sure couldn't hurt more than your shoulder a little.

"...don't even think about buckshot..." Needed to be bigger.
"...the 870 vs. 500 vs. 835..." There is no 'VS'. Pick the one with rifle sights you like, find the ammo it shoots best and you're done. No magnums required. Yogi isn't that tough.
"...they are unbelievably fast..." Yep. 35 MPH flat out. That's 100 yards in less than 6 seconds.
"...and not cast..." No 'cast' parts in the new ones either. MIM maybe. Nothing wrong with cast or MIM parts though. Old 870's have mostly stamped parts too.

Well, if it has to be a shotgun.... Mossberg. Your choice between the 500 and 835. I have used all 3 you mentioned. And I agree that the rifle sight, rifled barrel is best. Shoot the slugs that it shoots most accurately. And practice often.

500 or 835 for me too.

But are we talking a back up hunting tool or an oh my god I can't believe you missed and it's coming at us tool?

If I were using a shotgun,I might pick"any reliable". Ergonomics would matter.

IMO,the important selection is the ammo.The old traditional soft lead Foster slug might disappoint you.Lack of penetration.
There are plenty of choices.The RWS Brenneke used to be a good choice.

I'm usually a pump guy,but the Bennelli semi auto might be my choice for a scrap with man or beast.

What shotgun for Bears

Many good options. An older real Remington 1100 or 1187 auto except the barrels are a bit long , for this endeavor.
Why auto, if you need a second shot when seconds count just pull the trigger.
But practicality an older S&W M&P 12 gauge pump or Remington 870 M&P.
A good one I think is the Rossi and other stage coach guns.
Two loads realitively light and handy, with a sling sounds goo to me.
If you plan on hunting them with a twelve gauge, you're not primarily expecting to shoot one right on top of you.
There are so many I can't identify one.
An auto, five round capacity or more with maybe a 20 inch barrel, that is all steel or stainless, would fit the bill to a tee, if someone is producing one.

But are we talking a back up hunting tool or an oh my god I can't believe you missed and it's coming at us tool?
This is to be a 50ft and closing sort of tool, which likely means wounded. Also most of the boars I hunt (Averaging from 225 to 400 lbs.) tend to spend most of their time working the edges between clear cuts and 15-20 year old reaprod. Needles to say this can make for some rather tight cheeked blood trailing.:eek:

"If you don't mind let's go back to the 870 vs. 500 Vs. 835
Would like to hear more on that. And I will check out the wingmasters."

Maybe it's just personal preference but I PREFER the 870(20 years old or more) to the Mossberg 500. The older 870 has more STEEL parts which get slicker with use vs wearing out like the pot metal 500's. No reason for 3 1/2" action(or ammo for that matter)--in fact it's detrimental to fast follow ups. The recoil from slug loads will slow you down enough so no reason to incorporate other things like 1/2" more pump travel. In fact at kneecap to bear snout distances, I don't think there's that much advantage with 3" slugs.

I have a old 870 wingmaster. A real early 70s bought NIB. 3" Mag chamber and 30" Raised Rib barrel. (paid 125.00 at JC Pennys Gun Counter) Bought and mounted Rem Slug barrel in short order. A Choke tube model with open barrel sights. (same barrel sights found on Remington C/F rifle models.) Have Modified_Cylinder & Rifled Slug screw in chokes .
Kills anything (game) I encounter back in the woods. Partridge Ducks Rabbits with a simple quick change to my preferred choke and a #6 shot game load.
Pump out two Ball shot slide the number #6 into the mag and then pump it into the barrels chamber. Good to go.
Over time I added a extended Magazine tube. Matches the slug barrels length tip to tip. 8 rounds it now holds. That's enough hulls. If I can't drop it with 8 slugs. "It just ain't my day to be eaten Bear. >Bear eats me."
870 pump its a 80 yard bulls eye hole maker. Experimented and found a shot-shell slug that targets better than the many I tried including sabot. >Federals 1-oz Ball slug. Clover leaf 80 yard groupings are observed quite often.

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...otgun-magazine-extension-tubes-prod58228.aspx

Back