what revolver did police use to carry?

Good photograph kraigwy, the thing in context. Like the bird AND the tree. So much more information in the picture, like how a piece of iron can be a comrade.

I started in LE back in 1989. I qualified in rookie school with a S&W model 10 on loan from my sponsoring agency. I was issued a S&W model 65 at my first department. Nowadays I'm issued a Sig P220ST,which I have absolutely NO liking for whatsoever. If I must carry an auto,I'd prefer a Ruger P-90. But back to the point... JKump,I'm right there with you on this one;I'd be much happier with my Ruger GP-100 for duty use.

Last edited:
Not much to add to what everyone else has covered except to say that up until the mid 1950's, the peace officer didn't have a choice in .357 in a medium frame (K frame). It was either the .357 in a large frame (N Frame) or the .38 in the medium frame. Luckily, Bill Jordan talked Smith and Wesson into beefing up the K frame a little and thus the Combat Magnum/Model 19 was born: "The answer to a peace officer's dream" as Bill put it. The same gun in stainless, model 66, followed around 1970. However, heavy use of the high pressure .357's raised concerns about the forcing cones cracking so S&W created the L Frame. So in the 1980's, the 581, 586, and 686 became popular.

I work for one of those rare departments that still allows officers to carry what they want so long as it meets specific parameters. This includes revolvers. As a result, there are three of us who still carry: I carry an eight shot model 627pc, equipped with night sight and Herrett Trooper stocks, another guy carries his Dad's old issued duty gun, a model 64 in 38spl. He just started carrying it after 18 years of carrying an auto. The third guy carries a Ruger GP 100 .357. The other 152 officers carry semi-autos in all makes and models including all of the old-timers (hired in the 70's and 80's)

As a former LEO of the 70’s in California, we carried S&W Models 19, 27, 28 and the Colt ‘Python’. My personal carry was the Model 28 'Highway Patrolman' while my partner carried a Model-57 .41 Magnum. The most common was the Model-19. The CHP favored the Python six-inch. Ahhh, those were the days when it was fun being a cop. Man, would I ever love to turn back the clock and take my current knowledge with me.

Last edited:
Most of my pals carried a Model 19. I always carried a Model 27, 3.5 inch barrel which I really wished I had now.

The dead have risen!

My father started in 1970 carrying a nickel plated S&W Model 10. He joined the Idaho State Police in 1973 and carried the Model 28 Highway Patrolman until 1979. In 79 ISP switched to the S&W Model 65. In 91 ISP switched to the S&W Model 4586 in 45ACP. End of an era. Dad is now gone, but I have his Model 65. Still in great shape. It was issued to him brand new in 1979. He purchased it from ISP in 91 when the organization switched to autos. He also purchased the Model 28 in 79. Wish he had kept the Model 28, but he let that go in a trade in the early eighties.

They've used everything from .36 caliber percussion revolvers to modern Colt Pythons and Smith & Wesson .357 magnums.

When cops stopped carrying revolver in the 1980s, most were armed with .38s or .357s. Some stuck with revolvers until the early 1990s but by then most departments completely switches over.

It would probably be hard to name a revolver model NOT used by cops somewhere at some time. Up until the 1940s the San Antonio PD still issued Colt SAAs. But DA Colts (mostly Official Police and Positive Police Specials) along with S&W Models 10 and 15 were most popular.

Some departments allowed officers to carry a choice and the 14 was favored by some. The cops in the infamous "Onion Field" incident were LAPD and carried 14s. Of course these are all 38 Specials.

Some departs allowed more powerful guns. In pre-war days the 44 Special was often seen in cops' holsters. I know S&W 44s were favored by Arkansas cops as I have seen several stamped for local agencies. The 357 and 41 Magnums were carried in some cities.

Here are some of my wheel guns stamped with PD markings.

Utah Highway Patrol.
standard.jpg

Florida Highway Patrol.
standard.jpg

Corpus Cristi PD
standard.jpg

St. Louis PD.
standard.jpg

Bavarian PD
standard.jpg

I carried a model 66 for 3 years and a 686 for 20 before being forced to carry a semi auto. I always used magnum JHP's usually 145 grain STHP's.

The Memphis Police Department carried the Colt Official Police .38 Special. They switched to the S & W Military Police (which was to become the Model 10) around 1955 or so. The S&W had the heavy barrel. Plain clothes detective usually carried the Colt Detective Special, later the S&W Chiefs Special.

The MPD adopted the 158 gr. SWC from Remington after tests showed it tended to "skid" along pavement rather than ricocheting.

i believe the Shelby County Sheriff's Dept. carried both the Colt 357 or the S&W Model 19.

Of some interest, maybe: There was Kennedy General Hospital located in Memphis, for men of all services recovering from war wounds. Part of their hobby/therapy was making revolver grips from clear Lucite. The back side of these was opaque white plastic, with small rose buds, four leaf clovers, and what-not in the clear plastic. I saw many Memphis police carrying Colts with these grips.

Bob Wright

I carried both a Colt Official Police 38, and a Smith & Wesson Model 10 while working as an armed security guard in the early 70's. I never did fire either of those guns. "Training" consisted of being told, "Don't shoot yourself or anyone else...unless you have to."

Closest I've ever come to doing police work.

AFAIK, the city/county police around here all carried Model 10/64's.

"Up until the 1940s the San Antonio PD still issued Colt SAAs. But DA Colts (mostly Official Police and Positive Police Specials) along with S&W Models 10 and 15 were most popular."

I know they carried Model 65s. I picked one up a few months back at a gun show in Houston.

Bob, I don't believe the HB Model 10 (10-6) became available until sometime in the 1960s. Up until then all M&Ps/M10s were tapered barrels.

This is a great thread. I love those old service revolvers. I won a Colt 38 special from 1922 on GB just the other day. I am looking forward to shooting it. They have so much more character than Tupperware pistols.

Quoth SaxonPig:

Bob, I don't believe the HB Model 10 (10-6) became available until sometime in the 1960s. Up until then all M&Ps/M10s were tapered barrels.

You're right, I'm sure. I had a friend on the Memphis Police force about that time, and that's what he was issued. This after I was discharged from the Army, so 1960~1962 would have been the time.

Bob Wright

1970s

In Baton Rouge, the PD used Model 65s with 158gr LSP and LA State Police used the Model 19/66 with the famous Federal 125hp load.

Howdy

Rant mode on:

I really dislike the term "back in the day". Completely meaningless. When are we talking about? 1950? 1900? 1880? 1776? If somebody wants to know something, why can't they state a date, rather than use an inaccurate term that could be interpreted many different ways?

Rant mode off:

This Colt Army Special chambered for 38 Special was made in 1921. By the mid 1920s the military was not buying many revolvers, in fact they were not buying much of anything. But lots of these revolvers were being sold to law enforcement agencies. So in 1927 Colt changed the name of this revolver to the Official Police model. The Official Police model was produced until 1969, and more than 425,000 of them were made. I have no idea how many were sold to law enforcement, but I suspect a lot were.

Army%20Special%201921%2004_zps98lmznvs.jpg

I bought this S&W Model 10-7 about 15 years ago. It was manufactured in 1968. I have always assumed the number hand stamped above the trigger is a police armorer's inventory number, stamped there to keep track of the guns he issued. This is an iconic police revolver.

54_zps301988d1.jpg

This is a J frame S&W Model 36. A compact, five shot 38 Special revolver. It was made in 1961. Prior to 1957 this model was known as the Chief's Special. Perfect for a plain clothes policeman to carry in his coat pocket.

Model%2036%20Flat%20Latch%201961%2003_zpscfdunoe7.jpg

The large revolver at the top of this photo is a S&W 38 Military and Police, basically the same gun that became the Model 10 in 1957. The diminutive I frame revolver below it is a S&W 32 caliber Regulation Police. The 32 Regulation Police was a six shot revolver chambered for the 32 S&W Long cartridge, a cartridge that would be considered to be under powered by today's standards. However from 1917 until 1942 thousands of these were made. After WWII they were made again from 1946 until 1960. In 1957 the name was changed to Model 31. In 1961 the frame was changed to the J frame, the same frame as the Model 36. Production ceased in 1998. There was also a five shot Regulation Police model chambered for the 38 S&W cartridge, not to be confused with the 38 Special cartridge.

I would say that with a name like Regulation Police, a lot of these were sold to law enforcement agencies, despite their lack of power.

MP%20and%2032%20HE%203rd%20Model_zpsxh1cxgrq.jpg

Last edited:
I can't document the statement now, but I recently heard/read that the Colt Official Police .38 Special was more favored in the Southern states, while the rest of the country favored Smiths.

Bob Wright

Back