What REMINGTON has to say about MSNBC's report on the Model 700...

How many of you have gone to the Remington site and watched the videos?

I have for one. Nothing wrong with what they say, it's what they don't say that's the problem. They don't really address the details of the design flaw or Walkers re-design request.

I went to the other link and did quite a bit of reading, but I could not find anything documenting the original designers warnings. I was hoping to hear him say or read something he wrote. The CNBC website does not play the full video for me, I clicked on five different links and they all stop after about two minutes.

Good, then since you have spent time on CNBC's website, you have seen Walker's memo dated December 3, 1946 theoretical safety concerns. So you have the designer's own words. The theoretical safety concerns, surprisingly, turned out to be reality. It only took Remington about six decades to implement changes and even then, they weren't across the board. Remington simply offered a different trigger configuration option with their X triggers.

And if you continue with CNBC's site, reading the text, you will come across Walkers August 16, 1948 5.5 cent suggested fix for the problem.

Go to Remington documents on the CNBC page for the program. I think you will find the read interesting, especially the documents from Remington's employees.

This is the second long thread on this subject and I know that I am now beginning repeating my arguments, so just one more time.

The Remington PR video is good. I have no issues with a lot of what they say. Remington 700's have put millions of rounds down range, they are used by military, LE, and hunters around the world. In fact, I think the Remington PR campaign will win converts in the world of public opinion, but each time they get to court they will have to face hard facts of the Walker design and the fact that Walker himself wanted to re-design the trigger to have a "blocking" mechanism.

That's what has happened in past court cases and will probably continue in future cases.

If Remington (the new Remington Co.) had that H.G. Wells time machine I am sure they would go back to 1948 and do things differently.

I've only spent an hour or so reading and watching video but the conclusion is inescapable, at least for me. Remington would rather deny the problem (and pay damages for deaths and serious injuries) than fix it. That's just not acceptable.

Back