What really happens in a real fight?

Lawdog,
You brought up a really interesting point which I had observed but had forgotten.
Sometimes, it took a punch from the other guy before I got my self aligned and really ready to go.(Sort of a kick start...or a kick in the a**!)
Wonder if that's from too many hits in the head or just slow?

I remember reading accounts of the old fisticuffs where one or the other boxers took a couple punches first then they were ready to fight.
The trouble is, I am much older now and I don't want to take that first punch...might melt or something.

actually there's a phenomenon called *musha burui* (lit. "warrior shivers") ... that's the japanese name for it ... where before battle you'd shiver (literally) with anticipation ... i don't know what to call it here ... but before i get *amped* i always get this ... i don't immediately kick-start into a high-adrenalin rush mode, whether that's to my detriment or not ... i don't need to get hit to go into it, but i do need a few minutes of continuous shaking (in anger) with some teeth clenching before i kick in ... afterwards i feel extremely tired and need to eat about 7000cal and get 16 hours rest before i am ok :)

Dragontooth 73,
Gomen nasai...I did not intend to get you back.
Just some kidding around. Did not mean to offend.
Regarding the "old practice" and what we strived to achieve, it was a nice dream and it was great practice in those old days...I guess it was like the times where you fought men of "honor" and they fought with the same understanding of the rules that you did.
BTW, Dragontooth 73, did you ever see the old Black and white movie, "Judo Saga?" That was a good movie, except it was dark in some areas of the film...it inspired many boys to sign up at the local judo dojo.
Skorzeny, when you are young and idealistic and raised on movie heroes like "Tange Zazen" or Zato Ichi, or many of the other make believe heroes...we thought that was so neat. Samurai sword on one hip and gun on other hip. It inspired you enough to join a martial art school.
Skorzeny and Dragontooth, where the trouble was that we thought that ability was readily attainable. And that was real fighting.
Reality check...not experiencing the difference and not knowing the difference was rampant in the old day dojo's. Like I said, at that time we fought fair fights so we could experiment and try and learn the hard way.
Enter street fighters and boxers and JKD and others and many, many of us came to a screeching halt against reality. It was hard to accept that what you had been studying and believing in all that time could not and would not work in a real fight...and as I said, I know of many martial artists who were seriously injured trying to make it work.
IMHO, I think alot of it didn't work because you didn't dare because of the large amount of injuries, lawsuits, and insurance. And I think a lot of instructors didn't want to make the transition and many didn't know how to make it work.
I know after getting thoroughly whipped by Bruce, I wandered around trying to figure it out...total denial. I returned often because I lived in a different part of the state and even offered to give up my college and teaching M.A. to learn under him.
He told me to get rid of the garbage, I knew more than enough techniques...according to him, and I had to find what worked for me in the simplest and fastest way.
I hung around with Golden Glove boxers and eventually an ex-Navy boxer that brought me closer to reality, but styles that put it all together with realistic training? those were few and far between.

Anyway...thanks to you all...if only I could go on the path in the search for truth again...Ronin style...ah...dream on...reality is right in front of my face and i don't see it yet. So is my wife and she sees that faraway look on my face on it and she is shaking her head no.

LASur5er, you seem to think of going on a "musha shugyo" (lit. warrior studies) trip ... sounds fun, but if your wife says you're past the age to hone "garoh ken" (lit. hungry wolf fist, a term for any self-honed martial art) then stay home. i think you're skilled enough. if bruce lee said so, who am i to argue ... who is anyone else to do so.

have fun with the thought though ... can't believe you saw the zatoichi series of flicks LOL ... ya the new adaptation by katsu shintaro was fantastic. too bad he died (cocaine-induced heart failure).

I am going to relate an actual event that occured two days ago.....Im not going to go into extreme detail, and I dont think my friend will mind me relating this....the story was listed in the Citrus County Chronicle.
Two days ago my friend was attacked in his store by a young man wielding a samauri sword. The guy managed to enter the store and stab my friend in the chest, the chair my friend was in gave way, he missed the grab for his gun and the kid came around the counter and continued his attack. My friend realizing that bare hands against a sword is not good medicine tried to evade the attack by going to a back room(they were hemmed in by the counter they were behind), he dosent get the door secured before the kid is on him again, my friend gets to his desk in the back room trying to secure another loaded firearm and he then remembers that gun is apart for repairs and the kid delivers a brutal stroke, the blade penetrated the left side and came out the right side. Continuing to struggle my friend is trying to control this blade and this kid when he remembers he has a loaded 25acp in pockett, retrieving the pistol he shoots the kid in face. My friend is alive because he didnt quit....he had suffered wounds which should have incapcitated or quite possibly have killed him, but he stayed in the fight.
"what happens in a real fight"----O'toole shows up......and you just keep fighting or you die.... fubsy...

One other thing the kid was 5'2" 140lbs, my friend is 6'3" and 230lbs and he could hardly handle the kid....fubsy.

[This message has been edited by fubsy (edited September 28, 2000).]

Fubsy,
I am glad to hear that your friend is alive and well?

My grandpa told me "Never get in a fight with someone that has more to lose than you do."

Your friend obviously felt that he wanted to live...more than the other guy. Good on him.

Our prayers go with him for a speedy and healthy recovery.

Lasur5r,
My friend has been split down the middle by doctors having to check his internal organs........he is in pain and the road to recovery will be long, and Im sure to be forced to take a life is unsettling even when it is in defense of your own.
Ill tell ya this much, my friend is quite a good pistolero, has had many years of leo experience prior to retiring to run his own business. He is a superb marksmen and a good tactician and it was all he could do to win....fubsy....

Fubsy,
Stay safe, bud.
Your friend needs you and your support.
Keep us posted as to his progress and if there's anything needed?

God bless your friend fubsy ... keep him safe and grant him a swift recovery.

Just goes to show that what happens in a real fight is that good people get hurt ...

[This message has been edited by dragontooth73 (edited September 30, 2000).]

thankyou,....there is interesting hindsight here......
1. its the gun you have on you that will save your life....not the one near you. How many times have we all heard that?...its still true.
2. try to get seperation when appropriate.
3. If possible, improvise anything for a weapon.
4. the mind does crazy things under stress, such as forgetting the 2nd back up is in your pockett, or the pistol your going to is down for repairs, or on the work bench near the desk is a loaded beretta 92fs. No matter how dire the situation dont quit fighting. Also that you have been stabbed and not slashed. And Im sure they'll be more to pop up.
5. After you have survived the immediate outcome of the fight....you have to survive the injuries, plan on an income till your well, your obligations will continue. Clean up your store and prepare to reopen. And answer endless question by caring concerned and nosey friends..lol...
Also to deal with the aftermath of the trauma, ..........say a prayer for the kid and his suffering parents, and give thanks that the sword was really not a "samuri" sword as the press reported, but a straight bladed knock-off "ninja" type, wereas if the blade had been a curved Katana, the withdrawl during the struggle might have destroyed some internal organs and finished what the kid started.
this type of tragedy effects you in many ways.....every time he will take his shirt off there will be visible reminders---but he is adaptable and strong individual, he is recovering fine and thankyou all for the prayers and best wishes. .....fubsy.....

Back