What pistol would a modern James Bond use?

Works for me

If it’s not a Walther, it’s not James Bond———PPS M2 or PPQ or PDP.
My thought exactly and he never misses with it. I wouldn't draw on him or Matt. .... :eek:

As for Glock, just not going to happen or at least by my measure !!! :mad:

Be Safe !!!

I'd opt for a modern deep concealment gun or / and an extremely quiet one.

Thus, I'd stick with a .32 caliber for his carry-everywhere gun, since that would set him apart from the usual 9mm G19-sized gun nine out of ten feds, special ops and villains brandish in movies and shows. 7.65 is still sufficient for a ultima ratio, keeping-foes-at-distance option and remains controllable even in a very tiny platform.

For dedicated assassin or quiet jobs, an integrally suppressed .22 would be much more bond-esque than again any full- or compact size option.

I honestly think that they should just stick with the PPK at this point because it's just so iconic, so synonymous with James Bond at this point.

If not, then I say give Bond some makebelieve updated PPK made by Q chambered in some sort of Gyrojet-esq Rocket Cartridge. Keep the exact same look as the PPK, just dress it up a bit to make it look more spytech/futuristic.
You know, for all the folks who apparently can't suspend their disbelief that a Spy with access to all sorts of Sci-Fi gadgets would carry an older style of firearm chambered in a less powerful cartridge.

The moment they begin to "update" Bond for the modern era is the moment that the series will inevitably go into a downward spiral as the character is gutted to fit modern sensibilities. I dunno about you, but I don't want to see a "modernized" James Bond equipped with a seldom used SIG P365, a man bun, stretch pants, and a Manscape bodyhair trimmer thats actually a stun gun on his quest to rid the world of Social Injustice. *shudders*

I honestly think that they should just stick with the PPK at this point because it's just so iconic, so synonymous with James Bond at this point.

If not, then I say give Bond some makebelieve updated PPK made by Q chambered in some sort of Gyrojet-esq Rocket Cartridge. Keep the exact same look as the PPK, just dress it up a bit to make it look more spytech/futuristic.

You know, for all the folks who apparently can't suspend their disbelief that a Spy with access to all sorts of Sci-Fi gadgets would carry an older style of firearm chambered in a less powerful cartridge.

The moment they begin to "update" Bond for the modern era is the moment that the series will inevitably go into a downward spiral as the character is gutted to fit modern sensibilities. I dunno about you, but I don't want to see a "modernized" James Bond equipped with a seldom used SIG P365, a man bun, stretch pants, and a Manscape bodyhair trimmer thats actually a stun gun on his quest to rid the world of Social Injustice. *shudders*
I agree to a point... Ftr I carry an "antiquated" firearm.. albeit I just went from a combat commander to a staccato c for edc... Even though I'm not an elite operator, just a scientist. But I digress, I agree with this post due to the forethought.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Forte S+W said:
I dunno about you, but I don't want to see a "modernized" James Bond equipped with a seldom used SIG P365, a man bun, stretch pants, and a Manscape bodyhair trimmer thats actually a stun gun on his quest to rid the world of Social Injustice.

Talk about your slippery slope fallacy, check this action out.

007 is already a woman in the newest film. It wasn't the P365 that did it either.

Or he could go back to carrying a Beretta 418 in .25 ACP if we wanted to go full retro, “I’m Bond, and I do what I want”.

From several scenes in the movie - whatever the dead bad guy dropped when shot with the last round from the PPK.

Anyone else question why two British secret agents were using M4 or similar clones and not a British rifle???

From several scenes in the movie - whatever the dead bad guy dropped when shot with the last round from the PPK.

Anyone else question why two British secret agents were using M4 or similar clones and not a British rifle???

The L85 doesn’t have the best reputation, though by all accounts H&K did a good job with the A2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s Bond. The PPK, in its proper chambering of .32acp (7.65mm) is the simply THE gun for a 00 agent. Reliable. Low recoil. Accurate and controllable. It’s classy and, old school. It’s a Bombay Sapphire Martini in a Craft beer, man bun world.

The General Officer guns for the US Military was the Colt 1903/1908 in .32 ACP (or .380)
The OSS carried the same gun.
The Honor weapon of the Nazi Party was the PPK.

It’s a traditional weapon choice for a traditional agent.

Keep the PPK. It’s part of the image.

It isn’t 1939, 1942, 1945, 1950 of the 1960s any longer though, and the Bond franchise moved forward in most other respects.
Again, you could keep it Walther but even they admit nostalgia and US Bond fans are probably the only thing keeping the PPK in production. There are “handier” .32s and .380s now, not to mention 9x19mm subcompacts.

And as far as class goes, bond ordered the Vesper Martini with Gordon’s. Not even Beefeater, let alone, Bombay Saphire, but bloody Gordon’s Gin.

They did keep it a PPK, or actually went back to a PPK solely for image.

Solidly in the “once the went P99 they should’ve stuck with it” camp.

It’s a traditional weapon choice for a traditional agent.

Keep the PPK. It’s part of the image.

If you remember back in Dr. No, Bond was forced to switch to the PPK as his Beretta had jammed on him in a previous mission. It was a matter of reliability, not image.

Back when these novels and movies were written the PPK was a practical choice. Today Walther itself has other models that offer a more powerful cartridge in capacities similar or greater than the PPK for similar weights and sizes. I have actually been enjoying shooting small blowback pistols lately and I’m not arguing the PPK is a bad choice per se. However, it doesn’t make a lot of sense, to me, for Bond to continue to use the PPK. His gadgets have been updated, his cars have been updated (appearances for the sake of nostalgia aside), and his enemies and mission has changed with the times. To me James Bond is more than a choice in sidearm, especially as he is a character that has quite often used weapons he finds in the environment to get himself out of trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think Walther is a good gunmaker but IMHO this old model became an iconic Bond weapon only because Mr Fleming liked the way it looks. Not for any practical or rational reason. Personally I find it harder and harder to believe that for longer ranges we see in some movies PPK can consistently do the job. At 5 yards - yes, no problem.

He should carry a Sig P365 SAS. Same size as PPK, cool sighting system that is good for fast target acquisition and point shooting, it looks good and it has a shorter name when he is talking to Q about his equipment. Also fits nicely in holster under a tux.

I bet the PPK only exists because of James Bond at this point. Honestly.

The Sig P232 discontinued in 2014 and no one seems to have noticed or cared. While I like Walther, I think the P232 had a lot going for it over the PPKs.

Back