What performance could load the 30-06 up to?

I suggest the goal of achieving a achieving a particular velocity number,in itself,is pretty meaningless.3000 fps ?What magic does it do?

Right now,WW 30-06 brass is out of stock at Midway.If the had some,200 of them would cost you about $100 If you go with the premium brass,Like Lapua,Norma,Hornady,etc,figure $1 ea.

For my money,loose primer pockets after 4 loadings is unacceptable.That will happen if you push for velocity.

I prefer split necks as the limiting factor,someplace past 10 loads,hopefully.

For hunting,one limiting factor is the impact velocity at the game animal Bullet manufacturers give a velocity where their bullet expands and performs .Generally,it is around 2000 fps.Here,we have a valid reason for a velocity target.

If you are off the bench,on your belly or butt,how far away can you put them all on an 8 in paper plate?I do not need to know,but you do.Find out by shooting your rifle.Take that range,and see if your load will give you 2000 fps at that range.

If it does,you have enough.

Range and trajectory?"You can hit things farther"...true,to a point.

The "Weatherby School" of thinking was high vel,flat trajectory,maximum point blank range,put it on hair and pull the trigger.

That works,to a point.Study "maximum point blank range tables".Work with some ballistic software.There are free ones on line,I think Hornady and Berger have them on the sites.

Same bullet,etc,study what you gain in max point blank.Say book max is 2800.OK.Say,if you push,you can get 2925.OK.Shrug.Plug the numbers in and run the tables,see what you gain in extending you max point blank range.It will not be much.Is it worth it?You decide.

The Weatherby School was 60's.70;s.

Now,you can have amazing ballistic software in your phone.A Kestrel wind meter.A variety of ballistic reticles and repeatable scope adjustments.

Kenton Industries,the Leupold Custon CDS system,etc.

Todays shooter has readily available tools and resources for precision long range shooting that is not dependent on extreme velocity.

We do not have to be a "wannabe sniper" to learn from the techniques and tools available.

2700,2800,are wonderful velocities.Bullets don't blow up at 75 yds,and there is enough for good bullet performance about as far away as you should shoot.

And,to just have fun shooting,folks do quite well at 1000 yds using cast bullets,black powder,and Sharps or Rolling Block rifles,launching sub sonic loads.

Velocity is only one component of longer range shooting.Packing more powder and finding that fine line between enough and too much will nevermake you a better shot.

Performance is fine,but keep it in the range of predictability,consistency,safety,and longevity.

Then work on YOU!

3600 fps will not help me outshoot a kraigwy or a Bart if they are shooting 2600 fps.They have adjustable sights.And I don't shoot nearly as well.

Back