What kind of ammo do you stockpile?

What do you stockpile on?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
By far, the most important for me is .223/5.56, which is a practical battle caliber. Second is .308/7.62 rounds optimized for long range (168-175 gr).

Sidearms are less important, but 9mm is my top choice for stockpiling, since even JHPs are relatively cheap (no need to buy the less effective FMJs) and you can carry a lot of them.

9mm and 5.56 are my main stock piles with ~1,000 round. I also have a decent quantity of 40S&W.

The only caliber that I only keep a few boxes of are 38 special and 357 Mag which I don't shoot much.

I reload all of my ammo, specifically 38 special, 9mm and 7.92 x 57js. So, I don't stockpile ammo, I just make more when I need it. I do stockpile, to some extent, the components for reloading, if that counts.

I reload, so I don't really stockpile on purpose, it just adds up if I don't go to the range for awhile. I try my best to keep a healthy stock of components to get me through a shortage of something specific. I also usually keep a couple k of each caliber. 9mm and 224 go fast and I constantly load for it. Since my wheel guns take longer to reload and I find myself finding its lower caliber substitute getting shot at the range more, my 357 just keeps piling up. I love loading .357 just because its so versatile, but I like shooting it less. I have boxes and baggies of it everywhere it seems.

Anyone who is interested in a stockpile of any caliber would find themselves much better served by investing the 200$ in a cheap press kit and a set of dies. I even save dramatically with cheap calibers like 9mm. Even more savings comes with a very small investment in casting equipment, a cheap bottom pour and a mold runs you about the price of a few hundred decent bullets and you will always have a way to get them, no need to stockpile once you find a supply of lead.

I keep a fair amount of ammo on hand for just about every gun I own/shoot, but I do not consider it stockpiling. I reload everything except rimfires, so I DO have a large stockpile of various components.

I want to be able to shoot whatever whenever without having to go buy or make some ammo, and I want to be able to reload whatever whenever I get the hankering without having to go buy some components.

Components for reloading and at least 500 of each caliber in the rack. Having ammo on hand is nothing that came about when the insanity hit, i have always felt mags and ammo for each caliber should be kept on the shelf for shoot days and replenish as needed...the exception is .223 as i have a couple dozen AR's i try to keep 8-10,000 available for use. A good example is the " Great .22 LR Shortage" which is not so short if you are willing to pay 5 bucks for fifty rounds. I am shooting 50 round boxes of Mini Mag with price stickers of .89 cents and ammo under names that are now forgotten...Wards, Sears Peters etc. i have sufficient .22 to finish out my lifetime if i never buy another box (be a cold day when i pay $50 a brick). Not entirely selfish as i may portray, i share with shooting buddies, Hunter Safety and Boy Scout programs.
Oh yeah, our winters are cold, it is June and an unseasonably hot 100 degrees out...i have just finished stacking three tons of pellets in the basement for winter warmth.

Almost all of my defensive handguns are 9mm except for one .45. I also have a couple .22 pistols for the range. 9mm does everything I need it to for defense, therefore I tend to stick with strictly 9mm.

I stockipile whatever I can get for a good price. I refuse to stockpile calibers that are selling for ridiculous prices (.22 lr right now).

" I stockipile whatever I can get for a good price. I refuse to stockpile calibers that are selling for ridiculous prices (.22 lr right now). "

^^^^^
A most sensible approach!

Back