What kind of ammo do you stockpile?

What do you stockpile on?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

griffin12aaa

Please lets not make this a caliber war.

Pure curiosity, what ammo do you stockpile on? For me it was .45 then after a day at the range I realized I would use up most of my stashed ammo.:D:eek:
The I switched to 9mm and havent looked back since. Its cheapest of most common calibers and its plenty powerful with high round count.

What do you stockpile and why?

Any and all I could afford back when working full-time so I could keep shooting when I retired - as I am now.

50BMG as I found a source for $0.79 each loaded, clean, boxer, sealed.
308WIN for $138/1000 rounds
7.62X51 for $134/1000 rounds in sealed battle packs
5.56X45 for $189 for sealed battle packs 2700 rds/crate
9mm for $185/1000 rounds
7.62X39 for $67/1000 rounds - WISH I HAD BOUGHT A SEMI LOAD OF IT

I answered ".44 Magnum" though I find it very hard to stockpile. Also hard to stockpile .44 Special and .45 Colt.

Bob Wright

I don't really stockpile any calibers. I would like to have at least 500 rounds for each caliber that I own, but that is not the case. 9mm and 22lr are the only calibers that I actually have 500 or more rounds for currently.

I have about 1500 rounds of 44 mag. It's been my favorite caliber ever since I read elmer keith's book "six guns" when I was about 11.

I didn't stockpile when ammo was cheap, so I'm certainly not going to stockpile when it's 2x or 3x normal cost.
I did buy a box of .22 at $.10 a round, but probably won't buy any more at that price.

I stock pile .45, .223, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r, and starting 308, and 357 mag. Not because I'm an end of world guy buts it's just nice to have a ton in case you want to shoot something alot.

I like to have a couple hundred .40 rounds and a hundred 45-70 and a hundred 12g around! I'm not a big shooter so that's fine for me!

I voted .45 ACP because until I started reloading my .45 was the gun that the most finicky of my handguns. Which isn't saying a lot as it would eat most ammo, but when compared to all my other handguns, it turned out to be the most 'picky.' As a result, I usually had at least 1500 rounds of a certain brand around the house all the time.

Now that I reload and have figured out a recipe that my gun really likes, I just make sure I have 500 or so rounds ready to go at any one time.

Since I bought the dies for .44, I've been loading at least a hundred or so a week; it's amazing how fast you go through the stuff when you can load them up for a fraction of retail.

I used to shoot .44 spl/mag maybe once a month at most, due primarily to cost. Now, I send at minimum fifty of them downrange at least once a week.

I've been trying to create a stockpile of .44, but right now I'm going through the stuff nearly as fast as I make 'em.

Last edited:
Before I started reloading again about 500 rounds each of 38 spec, 357 mag and 45 auto. Now, at least 100 that much. Shot close to 1000 rounds at 2 day training. ...was nice to not have to worry about having ammo or spending a bunch of money for it.

I don't necessarily stockpile ammo. Before all the craziness started I used to pick up a box or two whenever it was on sale or I saw a good deal. The stuff just accumulates.

I try to keep AT LEAST 500 rounds of every caliber I shoot regularly.

9mm, 7.62x39, and .22 LR currently.

I expect this to expand to include .308, 5.56, and 12g in the near future.

I stock up on 38 specials and 357 mags. All of our weapons are 357's. So, I can go back and forth depending on the circumstances. I also have a friend who is just super when it come to reloads. So, every once in awhile we get the makings for 400-800 rounds and split it.

For each handgun caliber I own, I keep 1000 loaded rounds on hand at all times, and enough components to load 1000 more.

For each plinking rifle caliber I own, (5.56, 308, and 7.62x39), I keep 2000 loaded rounds on hand at all times, and enough components to load 3000 more on hand.

For the precision rifle rounds I shoot for matches, I do not usually have more than 100 rounds made laying around and I make it as I need it. I try to keep enough components to make 1000 of each on hand, but it will occasionally drop to 500.

For 22s, I am low. I only have about 700 rounds right now. Would love to have 3000-4000, but I refuse to pay inflated prices or wait in lines just for the chance to buy some.

It's not that I am a hoarder, I just don't want to be affected by shortages again. The above loaded round counts are what I shoot in a year, and that is my goal so that if another shortage hits, I can shoot for about two years without having to pay inflated prices or shoot less.

Right now, I have 9mm stockpiled, but only because I keep finding it at decent to good prices ($13/50 for Lawman, $9/50 for an odd brand I don't remember), so I probably have 800 rounds or so. I like to keep a few hundred rounds of 9x18 handy, because around here it tends to show up in spurts. 22LR I don't shoot much, so I like to have about a brick handy, but I don't stress out about it.

I'm also not a curmudgeon about ammo prices. Too many folks think it ammo was a x cents a round 5 years ago, it should be the same now, and that's all they'll pay. I look at ammo prices like gas prices- they'll go up and down (mostly up), and current trends dictate "good" prices, not trends from 5 years ago.

I have only .22, .357, 9mm, and .40 for pistols and I have a lot of ammo on hand, but I don't know if I would call my system "stockpiling."
I generally buy in bulk, 500-1000 rounds at a time for the guns I shoot most often. But I seldom have more than 1500 rounds for any one caliber. I voted 40, since that is the pistol I shoot the most

I don't stockpile ammo....I reload ...so I keep enough components on hand to meet my usage for a year or so....and since I buy components in case quantities....( powder in 8 lb kegs, primers in 5,000 per case, bullets are 2,000 to 4,000 per case ) ..........

As I reload...I will stack the boxes ..and then pull from inventory for range trips...so of the calibers you mention ( with exception of 10mm ) I will have between 15 and 50 boxes of each on hand. On calibers that I shoot a lot of, like 9mm, I will always want to have 30 or more boxes on hand because I shoot 6 - 10 boxes a week of 9mm...

I started reloading, too, a little less than a year ago. I keep between 1 and 1.5K of 9 mm loaded, between 500 and 1K of .380, and 200 or so of .38 Special (my most lightly used caliber), but I have components on hand to reload those amounts several times over. Like a lot of reloaders, I keep a few spare bucks in my pocket to pick up components when I see them at good prices, and thus keep generous supplies on hand at relatively little cost.

Back