What is your favorite wild game meat?

Venison for me. Good 'ol Michigan whitetails are hard to beat.

However.....I had a Michigan bear loin roast that was unreal...lightly smoked.
I also had slow cooked BBQ Beaver that was amazing. served on grilled onion rolls with a sweet coleslaw.
Rabbit Gumbo is good.
Quail with a port wine reduction and roasted hazel nuts is good.
Smoked duck and pumpkin ravioli with a wild sage cream sauce is good.
Roasted Canada Goose with sweet potato/eggplant gravy is good.
Grouse stuffed with apples and cranberries and morel mushrooms is good.
Woodcock breasts grilled with bacon and fresh herbs is good.
hmmm...steelhead trout is good...then again so is walleye, perch and bluegill.
Pheasant is always good.
Is Elk and Moose venison? if it aint, then i like that too.
uh..wait a minute...what was the question?
:D

Elk, Pronghorn, Corn-Fed Missouri Whitetail are my favorites. Of course, I'll eat almost anything, especially if I kill it. Had moose from a big old NE Washington bull and although it tasted as close to beef as any meat I've eaten, it was so tough we ended up grinding most of it for hamburger and sausage. Heard that caribou is as good as anything but I've never tried it. For non big game, pheasant and ruffed grouse are hard to beat.

Elk for 4 legged critters...reindeer ain't bad either.

Quail followed closely by pheasant then Dove for our feathered feasts.

I don't do rodents, nor will I eat (though I have tried some): Armadillo, skunk, possum, coon, jack rabbit, turtle, snake,.

Lots, of others I haven't tried but would like to.

Cowdopete

Nutria

Speaking of rodents, the other day on TV, they had cooked up over an open fire some homegrown Louisiana nutria and were raving about how good it is. This was that crazy American alligator/shark wrestler dude with the long hair, and he was trying to get the nutty MTV2 punks to eat it, so he may have been kidding about how good. :dunno: Anyone tried Nutria?

Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep was "the" best wild game I have ever eaten. Dad shot one when I was in Highschool. My mom and sisters wouldn't touch it, which worked out good for Dad and I as we got to eat the whole thing.

Man was that good.

The Best

Elk is the best. My eldest daughter got married two years ago, my wife fed the in-laws roast Elk. They never knew, thought it was great beef.

I ate a dog once, when I was a Marine, in a country far far away. After eating c-rats in the jungle, it tasted great!

My least favorite? Antelope (yuck!)
A friend told me to cook up some bacon and pan fry antelope in the bacon grease. Not bad that way.

I'd have to say Elk, followed by pheasant, whitetail, squirrel (in slow cooker).

I would have said venison last year, but I think that wild pork of a young sow is the best wild game I eat regularly. Having said that the few times I have had Elk it has been superb.

Charles

let's hear more about how to prepare beaver,my method is to feed them margarita's wash um up real good soak them in budwiser and dive in .

Deer innards

Artsmom--I'm with you there! Will go a step further and say that liver is delightful if not fried to death. You fry bacon. You fry onions in the bacon grease. You fry the liver--only until it isn't red in the middle, not one second more--put 'em on a plate and dive in.

Liver is pretty much liver, I've found, except liver from the sheep family always has that little mutton undertone--which in itself is not bad either.

Deer innards story: Brought a deer heart back to camp for my lunch one time, was slicing it and frying in butter (no bacon to be had) and the whole rest of the camp went from "Oh, yuck, get that thing out of the cabin!" one by one to "Well, it smells so good, let me try a piece." to "Gee, this is good!" and, sure enough, when I was finished frying and handing out samples, I didn't get a bit myself! :D But I didn't really mind because there were a bunch of food prejudices lying dead on the floor. :D :D

BTW, just as a complete tangent, is it considered bad form to not bury a gut pile? I figured "buzzards gotta eat, same as worms", to quote a line from Outlaw Josey Wales. Beaver preparation...tee hee.

Back