What is your Favorite Martial Art and Why?

Skorzeny- Man...that guy really looks like an idiot doesn't he? A spy, an ancient underground fighting champion, studies a style from 2000 years ago....hahahahahahahaha!!!

ronin308:
Frank Dux is undoubtedly one of the greatest martial artists a to ever walk the earth. It is an honor to have lived in the same era as such a great warrior.
Enuf said!

What I don't get is this. Reputedly USC is a university, so presumably it has students with some semblance of intelligence who understand logic (its debate team is actually one of the top ones in the country). Yet, how can "Dux-Ryu" be a brand new system developed by "Shidoshi" Dux and be 2,000 years old at the same time, considering that the vaunted "Shidoshi" is only about 45 (give or take 10) years old?

One's mind boggles!

He is not alone. Then there is Jerry Petersen, the "founder" of SCARS, who dresses up in black outfits, trying to look like a Ninja, and claiming (if I recall correctly) that he killed several NVA or VC soldiers with his barehands in Vietnam.

It must be testerone poisoning or something, because both the gun and martial arts industries are littered with frauds.

Skorzeny

Boy, some of these posts are hard not to flame on, but I'm not here for that. It is also my oppinion as well that no one form is better than another. First of all I would recomend a book Complete Conditioning for Martial Arts by Sean Cochran. This explains in brief the basic fundamentals and requirements for each of the major styles.
Ok I'm 40 years old, my father enrolled me in judo when we lived in Japan at age 10. I have been studying martial arts ever since. I believe the art you choose should depend more on your size and frame. For instance it wouldn't make since for a 350# man to learn kung fu.
I personally favor Brazillian style Judo and Jujitsu. No one form has everything, I was fighting points matches at 15, moved up to pit fighting at age 20, started shoot fighting at 22, moved into profesional fighting at age 23 and fought until age 37. I had to quit instructing and professional fighting to care for my wife when she developed cancer. I tried professional kickboxing at age 38 but quite frankley I'm not as young as I used to be.
The reason I state one form is not better than another, in 1986 I was 26, 6'0, weighed 212# with 8% body fat. I was beaten by Sung Lie a 42 year old 140# Chinese man who's dicipline was Kung Fu. Over the years I look back I may have fought 70-80 people who studied Kung Fu and the various branches stemming from it. Through ignorance I could say, well they didn't have much power, not enough to knock me out anyhow, and yes maybe they did have speed, but none of them beat me. But in reality given enough training and dicipline any of them could have beaten me.
Don't worry about age, I have instructed 60 year old women in the past. In reality you will be in better shape and if tought right will be more mentally focussed in all aspects of your life.
I've been a police officer for 15 years and instructed my current department for the last 8 years. I have had officers as old as 53 years to put moves into practice in real world situations after a few months, and not only make the difference in the assailant getting the better of them, but ocasionally meant the difference in a hostile situation turning into a trajic one.
I have studied Japanese Judo
Japanese Jujitso
Brazillian Judo
Brazillian Jujitsu
Muay Thai
Tiawanesse Tae Kwon DO
And currently checking into Kempo planning to start within a month.
As a rule Judo requires high upper body strength and low flexibility and speed.
Jujitsu requires moderate or above strength, moderate speed and moderate flexability.
Most other forms of martial arts require moderate strentgh, high flexibility and high speed.

*snort*

The book Stolen Valor devotes three or four pages to Mr. Dux. It ain't pretty.

BTW, the man was knocked out badly by a third-rate UFC competitor from the early days (when there were a lot of one-dimensional, unqualified competitors) in an altercation.

Was that the rumored sidewalk fight outside of UFC #1 with Zane Frazier? Gossip and outhouse intel have it that Frazier did a ground-and-pound on the Ninja Master(tm) and pretty much had his way with him.

LawDog

Studied Aikido, karate, BJJ and boxing. Want to do Thai and FMA.

My favorite? Aikido. While I'm not going to study it any more until I'm competent in skills along the lines of vale tudo, I just get more out of it in everyday life than any other MA. Very bizarre.

The ability to create a small but effective detonation with any of the four limbs is awesome. Grappling with a Brazilian blackbelt is tangle-heaven... submission flow, hell yeah.

But for some reason Aikido seems to always be in the back of my mind. Tis a pity I'm not going to an actual dojo for a long time. BJJ, Thai and FMA are on my to-do list for the next decade or until I break in half - whichever comes first.

What up Skorzeny? Long time no see... been a while since I've been here or on the MMA forum.

Cheers.

I mainly study 3 arts, Hsing I, Tai Chi, and Shuai Chiao. The combination of the three seem to cover pretty much all the major aspects of fighting, hard, soft, and grappling. I like Hsing I because its fairly straight forward and aggressive. It has helped teach me to use my entire body to generate power for a strike. Tai Chi has taught me fluidity and how to react to force. Shuai Chiao has taught me all the things previously mentioned and throwing, joint locking, misdirecting, ground fighting, yielding etc...

Of course, cross training is all the rage these days, but it was quite common among a lot of the older Chinese masters.

A combination of striking and grappling is best. I would say Muay Thai and Brazilian Jujutsu. Any martial art is about worthless without any hard sparring.

Well, I have hesitated to make this post. Both for the reason that I have said it before other threads, and because it didn't particularly serve the purpose of the original poster in looking for a style to study. But I guess it is becoming a "favorite style" of mine.

I am, of course, referring to medieval and renaissance European MA. They are currently not real applicable to modern day self defense for the simple reason that they have only recently begun to be revived as practical martial arts. But they were incredibly effective in their time (and can be again today, IMO) and are legitimate and sophisticated combat systems.

Currently I am focusing my own training on Medieval longsword, dagger and grappling. The longsword seems to be very effective (from my limited judgement, of course) and I would stack it against any other form of swordsmanship I've seen demonstrated. It has powerful strikes, lots of voiding and counter-cutting, thrusting, a very mobile footwork and actually incorporates a lot of grappling.

The dagger stuff is all new to me and I'm not really fit to judge it. But the grappling is very cool. More similarities to something like Aikido than collegiate wrestling. Theres lots of joint locks, a few throws, and only a little ground work (going to the ground in a medieval battle was pure suicide). Also there are a few strikes (mostly palms and gouges to the face) and a few low line kicks (to the knee, etc.).

And due to the "reconstruction" nature of these arts, there is a lot of sparring that is done with as much realism as possible. You have to to test if you are doing the techniques in a workable way. No Eastern MA school I've been at (even the ones that claim to teach weapons) have ever done any realistic weapon sparring.

Unfortunately, unless you live in Houston, Ontario, NY or one of only a few other select places it is almost impossible to find a school or "instructor". It's mostly a self-study process which is slow and makes it difficult to be sure you're getting things right.

Regards,
Matt

LawDog:

I believe the altercation took place inside a hotel, at which a martial arts exhibition was taking place. There are plenty of eyewitnesses to corroborate what happened (like when Steven Seagal wet himself after Gene LaBelle choked him out).

krept:

It has been a while. I have something of a new life in a new city now, so I've been away from somethings for a bit.

Aikido is a pretty interesting thing. It's part martial arts, part religion (or better, spiritualism), part a way of life and part pure fantasy. It is decidedly one of the most beautiful "martial arts" to behold when it is practiced by a lifelong student skilled in it. I'd like to think of it like a two-person Tai Chi.

Having evolved from Daito-Ryu Aiki-Jujutsu, which in turn came from classical Japanese Jujutsu, it has some interesting sword retention and draw prevention techniques, that can really nicely translate into gun retention and draw prevention. Its surprisingly systematic study of multiple opponent attack angles is pretty unique as well.

Unfortunately, many Aikidoka often spend more time practicing fantasy defenses against overhead "chops" and midline straight punches (like doing Kotegaeshi against a lunge punch - these people clearly never saw something called "boxing" before) and neglect the part of the art that can really be of some use.

python 1430:
A combination of striking and grappling is best.
Don't forget weapons - particularly small blades.

Skorzeny

Aikido

Skorzeny:

I think you're right on about Aikido. I practiced for two years and stopped for various reasons, one of which was how unrealistic it seemed. Nothing against the art itself, it is quite "beautiful" as you put it. Just seemed to take waaaaayyyy too long to become proficient at actually defending yourself with it. Lots of stuff just didn't seem practical either. Good point about the straight lunge punch. Or the overhand chop. Lots of times, just to see if uke was being honest, I would simply stand there and not practice a technique (as nage) and see what would happen. Almost always, the punch/chop or whatever would go in the direction that uke knew it was supposed to go due to the subsequent technique, and miss me altogether! How practical/realistic for defense is that? Seems like practicing a technique against someone who isn't seriously trying to land the punch/kick/throw or whatever could give you a dangerously false sense of confidence.

Like I said, though, I'm not bashing the art, or the practicioners. Just didn't think it was right for me.

Certainly don't forget about the small blades. Actually I've been spending the most of my online time at bladeforums.com as I have taken up the hobby of making small blades. Another reason why I would love to get into FMA.

As far as my interest in Aikido. I guess it's almost Aiki-jutsu as I'm not really into the spiritual or "-do" part of it. The one thing I think Aikido is truly great for is evasions. Maybe it's just circular footwork? I don't know and I guess I never will because Aikido was the first martial art I took seriously and probably the last that I will attempt to become proficient at. I feel that my two years was a good introduction to the art or way and that's about it.

One thing I do feel it has helped is - along the lines of evasions - is getting a good angle for counterattack or shoot. It also helped me understand the physics or mechanics of a fall, but then again I never learned Judo. I think it would be great to be able to use a Thai elbow to the grill for a modern Irimi Nage or follow a projection with the mount.

I think a good way to look at it is Aikido is very good for a low level of force on the force continuum where a solid strike or double leg would be a little too much.

krept:
The one thing I think Aikido is truly great for is evasions. Maybe it's just circular footwork?
Absolutely! I brought that angle issue up tangentially with the multiple attackers thing. The basic concept of circular (often 45 degree angle "back leg") movement is really outstanding - simple, yet so effective.

I should also mention that because of the repetitive nature of much of Aikido training, it can build some amazing attributes - some Aikidoka I know have incredible grip and wrist strength.

Skorzeny

Hapkido has stikes, kicks, holds, escapes. It has served in 3 street defense situations. Regardless, I am beginning to study JKD/Kali.

JKD

Hey hso, I'm thinking about taking up JKD at a local dojo that also has BJJ and kickboxing. Have you started yet? What do you think of it, if you have? Practical? Is it well rounded as far as various types of fighting?

Thanks,

Rammer

Ju Jitsu

Might I suggest Ju Jitsu? Check out the Dallas Budokai at:

http://www.dallasbudokai.com/index2.htm
Since you are in Dallas, you are in luck. This is possibly the best Ju Jitsu school around.

I studied for quite a few years. The Sensei of the school is Steve Weiss. Very traditional martial artist. He has a couple of great black belts as instructors now. Having been a police Officer now for almost 19 years, I have used more Ju Jitsu techniques on the street than I could have imagined. Joint locks, Carotid restraints, pressure points and pure grappling techniques. To me, it is the most realsitic and practical martial art for ME. Feel free to contact me if you would like more information. I cannot say enough good about it as it relates to my experiences.

As a matter of clarification, the term "Jujutsu" is vague and can mean many things to many people. Certainly, Brazilian Jujutsu is very different from Daito-Ryu Aiki-Jujutsu.

Skorzeny

For clarification

The following forms are available at Dallas Budokai:

Sangaku ryû jûjutsu, Tenshin ryû kenjutsu, Kinko ryû shakuhachi, and Shodô

Anyone heard of Kuk Sool Won?

I study Kuk Sool Won in Houston, TX. I think there is a Dallas dojang run by a 1st degree black belt.

It is a Korean martial art, and incorporates the tribal or family martial arts, the royal court martial arts, and some Buddhist arts, too. As such, you get to learn many weapons, and the techniques range from pressure points and joint locks to all the traditional throws, kicks, and punches.

At the high levels, you get to learn ki training, herbal medicine, accupuncture, etc.

The style is a mix between hard and soft, and does get into some grappling applications, but not to the extent that brazilian jiu jitsu does.

I like it a lot, you may find it meets your requirements. Check it out at www.kuksoolwon.com I'm sure that the local instructors will give you a few intro lessons for free so you can get a feel for the classes and style.

The grand master of Kuk Sool Won, In Hyuk Suh, lives in Houston, and many of the senior masters are in Texas. That is an incredible opportunity for the students, who can actually get to meet him.

Back