What is your favorite deer rifle?

An old Savage 99E from the 70s in .300 Savage with a Weaver 4x32 Duplex scope. A gift from my dad on my 18th birthday. Shoots great with Remington factory ammo (150gr.) It's got more than enough power for any deer, blacktail (which is what i hunt in CA), whitetail or mulie.

Well, I guess TRxxx's choice of caliber pretty well validates my choice, which is the .260 Remington. I hate getting beat up by any rifle, and I have confidence anything one would tackle with a .308, I can take with the 6.5mm on the same case! :)

My rifle is a Remington M-700 Mountain Rifle, DM version, with a Leupold 2-7x33mm scope on top. Shoots well, carries easily, and I suspect a 125gr Partition will do in anything I need to kill with this rifle, and a 140 would likely suffice on elk if I ever got the chance as well. No, I have not killed with this rig; too many times trying to count non-existant tines during the antlered-only season! :rolleyes: This has got to be the year!

Right now I'm shooting a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308 with a Nikon 3-9x40. I also have a Weatherby Vanguard in .270 that I haven't outfitted yet.

My favorite deer rifle is whatever I'm using at the time.

I use a 308win. My dad has good results with 243.

I actually know a guy who uses a 45-70 on whitetailed deer. I'd imagine that's perfect for him because if he hit it in the front shoulder he'd be dragging home only a rack and a pair of hind quarters--killed and quartered in one shot LOL :)

Remington BDL in .270. Cheap Tasco 4x12 scope. Bought it new in 1987, and it has never let me down. Played around and found out it likes Hornady Light Magnums in 140, 1" at 100yds. I've never lost a deer with it, and they usually drop where they stand.

Back