What is your favorite deer rifle?

Rojoe67

My new favorite, I used it last season is a NEF- Ultra Hunter 270, with a 3x9x50mm scope on her. Don't know what it is about this single shot but it is one sweet looking and sweet shooting 270. I have to admit for an American made rifle for around $260.00 I have fallen in love with it's ability. It also makes me focus and make that one shot count....that much more. This is my favorite rifle now. I think my son's birthday gift when he turns 14 will be a similar rifle in 243? :D

My favorite....

is a rifle my brother built 20 or so years ago, and ended up giving to me.
It is a Mauser '98 receiver with a Shilen barrel chambered in 30-06.

It has a custom curved bolt handle, a low-profile safety, and a Timney
adjustable trigger set at 2 pounds.

All that steel is set in a hand-carved black walnut stock, free-floated barrel,
with a Pachmayr recoil pad. On top is a Leupold 3 to 9 Vari-X II scope.

It was just a "project gun" for him, but when he gave it to me I spent
many hours working on a good handload, and finally got one that will shoot
a 1 inch group at a hundred yards. That's good enough for a hunting gun
where I live.

It's not nearly as pretty as a Weatherby or a Winchester Model 70, but it
is my number one deer hunting gun. I have a Remington 700 .243 I haven't
even used to hunt with since I got that Mauser.

As a rule, I don't give "pet names" to things I own. I broke the rule for
this gun. I call it my "meat-stick". It has never failed me.

Walter

Winchester Model 70 in 7mm STW. Bell and Carlson Thumbhole stock and Jewell trigger at 18 ounces. Muzzle braked and still pushes 140gr CT Ballistic Tips to 3500 fps. 8x40x55mm scope.

Over-kill in so many ways........Of course, it's never went a season without a kill since I built it (8 years).

"Ol' Pet", born in 1970, is a Weatherby Mark V with a #2 profile, 26" barrel in .30-'06. Canjar trigger. Right now, a Simmons 44 Mag 3x10. Heavy critter, at 9-1/2 pounds. Shoots like a dream. Its little brother is a Pre-Garcia Sako Forester, 19" barrel in .243. Also a tack driver, but only seven pounds ready to go.

My old legs are not what they once were, so I indulged myself with a Rem 700 Ti in 7mm08. 6-1/2 pounds, total. Great shooter, but Lordy, it's ugly. But then, I ain't as purty as I once wuz...

:), Art

Winchester mod. 94 44mag. all around good deer and hog gun here in south central fl. I back it up w/ blackhawk 357.

In California I use a Weatherby vanguard in 7MM Mag. Scoped with a Simmons 44 Mag scope, Leopold rings and mounts. It's been glassbedded and the barrell is free-floated. I shoot a 160g sierra game king.
Out of state, Nevada, a Remington Sendero 300 ultra mag with a 6x24 sightron scope leopold rings and mounts. Trigger is set a 3 lbs. This will be the first year I hunt with it. I'm still developing a load for this rifle but as of now it will be either a 150g or 180g nosler accubond.

North Cascade Muleies seem to love to walk out in front of my Marlin 336A, 30-30. That rifle and I have been hunting and hiking (mostly hiking) around the mountains since the early 80's.
dean

Browning Stainless Stalker in 30-06 with Leupold VX3 3.5X10X50...go anywhere, do almost anything, accurate, reliable. Though a bit heavy, my other choice is my Remington LTR .308 with the Swarovski AV 4X12X50. For hog hunting I use my Armalite AR-10 Carbine because...well just because.
:)

My favorite deer rifle is a Ruger #1-A in 243 Win. topped with a Leupold 2-7x33 scope. It is my favorite gun period. There is a great deal of sentiment that goes along with that rifle. It is a graceful, nimble, beatiful weapon.

We're not allowed to use rifles to deer hunt with here in Ohio, but I usually make an out of state hunt every year, and it is the rifle I take with me. I hunt coyotes with it in the winter, and groundhogs and crows in the spring and summer. When I do my part, it has always done its.

For me it's my Winchester mod 70 featherweight in 270. With handloads and a floated barrel it will shoot .3 groups at 100 yards. Makes for a good deer gun

To tell you the truth I have three Winchesters and three Remingtons and like them all :D The 270 is the one I like the best but not by much. I do like my Winchester mod 70 classic super grade 7 mag and 25-06. But I do love my Remingtons! 222 ADL, 243 BDL and 308 short action Sendero.

Browning A-Bolt Medallion w/Boss in .30-'06...we've never missed! I've been getting excellent results with Winchester Silvertips, btw.

Remington 700 mountain rifle barreled action in 7mm08,Brown precision stock,3x9 leupold. This rig is very light aand shoots into 1/2 inch at 100 yds,120 grain sierra game kings and winchester 748 ball.I have taken deer,antelope and elk with it,all with great results,the only time it stays home is when I hunt in bear country.Then I have something more suited for bears than the game I'm hunting.

Question: Do y'all have a special affinity for the cartridge with which you took your FIRST deer, that stuck with you? In other words, are these favorites you posted in the same chambering as the rifle you used for your first? Just curious.

No, an old 99 savage in 300 savage,I was 14 and had 3 empties in the air and one going up the pipe,and was so excited I was shaking....

remmy

ive only had 2 deer rifles one was a remington 742 in .243 and the other which i currently have is a Savage 110 in .270. of the 2 my favourite was the 742 rifle wise but i think as a deer gun i like that extra ooomph offered by the .270 not that i have anything against the .243 it just has a little less room for error

edited to add: for smaller game hunting i love my remington 597SS its a sweet shooter (by the way did you hear they fixed the mags :D :D cant wait for one)

Last edited:
The rifle I have had the most success with in the past 10 years is my Marlin 1894S .44 Mag. Hunting in swamps, and along the creeks that drain or feed them, means close cover. With shots under 40 yards in most cases, the fast handling little Marlin is a good choice.
My favorite though, would be one of my Mannlicher-Schoenauer rifles

Back