What is your absolute favorite combat knife?

Mannlincher and Hard Ball, I am with you. Randall all the way. I have a #14(?) "Special Fighter." 7" stainless blade (#1 profile), double nickel thumb guard, black linen micarta finger grooves, lanyard hole, and (of course) leather sheath with sharpening stone.

Interesting, in Andy McNabb's "Bravo Two Zero" he mentions the guys in his SAS patrol (on the run) carried their knives in leather sheaths, because they could be drawn very quietly compared to the 'scrape" of Kydex. But many 'name' makers now offer fitted Kydex for their blades.

My 18" Himalayan Imports Ang Khola (type of Khukri). That's 18" in a straight line from the tip of the blade to the pommel, so it skips the curve of the knife.

1.5 lbs x 18" of razor-sharp, well-balanced, masterfully-hand-crafted knife. It's about a half-inch thick at the spine. Additionally, it's rock-hard: I have never seen a knife made with such hard steel. It holds an edge nearly forever, which is especially handy since most sharpening equipment I have will hardly scuff it. :D

Did anybody happen to catch the Hunter movie on TV the other night? If you did, did you notice the Bagwell Bowie used in the end? :D Damn thats a knife! ‘Course the guy using it held it like an idiot, but thats ok, I just enjoyed seeing it on screen.

My head says one of the Strider double edged blades made from S30V. I also think one of the Taranis would be great too with proper training.

But the one that really gives me the warm fuzzies as a combat knife is the KABar... the same way a 1911 does. Interestingly, I have neither.

The thing I don't like about Striders is that the paracord wrapped handle would absorb stuff...namely blood n' guts. If you had to dress and animal with one of those things the sticky icky would be embedded in the handle. It might look cool but then it'll start to smell ;)

My Greco Whisper. Slim, well-balanced; a really sweet blade.

I picked up a Paragon Harley Slim Battle Bowie recently, though, and it's growing on me pretty fast.

I used to be totally in love with my Greco Companion. It is still a favorite knife...the right size, a little heavy for it's size but immensely strong.

I like my CRKT Kasper/Polkowski Companion a lot. I just wish that it were made of better materials. I am toying with the idea of buying a "real" one. It carries EXTREMELY well in its River City Sheath (?) that I bought from Mike Sastre.

I have always loved the Blackjack Model 1-7. I like it better than the Randalls that I used to have. I wish Blackjack hadn't went out of business. I used to buy Blackjack knives at wholesale for $50 or so at Cecil Clarke's Cutlery in Newport, Kentucky...and I'd always make a stop at the business next door, too. ;)

I have Matt Lamey making a knife for me right now. I expect it to become my favorite. I've always liked the pictures of his knives that I've seen and they just have the look of being well-balanced and a "fit" for me.

I am also lusting after a Patton/Kasper Grande. This looks like an excellent larger knife.

Chris Reeves shadow 1 & 2. Best made hollow handle knives on the market. They are milled from a single billet of steel, No weak tang to hollow handle joint like the others. my best folder is a first production run spyderco police.

Chris Reeves Project 1.

His new introduction, The Green Beret, shows promise, too. So much so that its 'official' now.

Utica M4 bayonet- also like the option of mounting it on my M1 carbine. No idea if the Utica is better or worse than any other M4 from another maker, but the leather grip is nice.

K-Bar all the way

I own a Cold steel recon Tonto. With that said.

the K-Bar would be on my belt. It is ugly but sure works and has done everything I have needed done.

Used mine in Nam and it never failed me. My father gave it to me in the late 50's. Even used it on a dink. Better him then me, we had been over run.

There may be better, but mine is proven and blooded.

And in the end, use what has worked for you! Never forget history!

good luck

Back