What is this Airman carrying?

Rodfac,
Did you actually read any of the posts preceding yours?
Denis
Yes I did, Dennis and my comments from personal experience stand as I wrote them. YMMV Apparently you didn't read that.

Don't know what you guys experienced, but as I said, from '64 to '75, I never saw stag gripped handguns on any security police anywhere. I was the Commanding General, 8th AF's personal pilot for 6 months out of Anderson in Guam, flew him to Offut many times and never saw "Elite" security personnel with stag gripped revolvers. As I said previously, YMMV. Rod

Last edited:
I did read your entire post, including the part where you expressed your opinion that stags were "highly unlikely", despite previous posts by me & others stating exactly who had them & why.

Those stags are documented, as carried by that one single unit, SAC Elite.

Not elite members of SAC Security Police worldwide, but the SAC guards who did carry them as part of a unit named "SAC Elite".

The fact that you never saw them in your "personal experience" doesn't in any way negate the fact that those grips were issued to that unit.

And going back over your earlier post, it appears you totally misunderstood the roll of SAC Elite.
They did not guard planes, so of course you didn't see them on the flightline or any alert pads.
Denis

Last edited:
Did some Wikipedia research on SAC Elite after reading your posts Dennis...interesting reading. For a collector who runs across one of those guard revolvers, it'd be a bonanza for sure.

I spent quite a bit of time with Gen. Charles Minter, 8th AF Commander, both at Offut and Anderson and never ran across a guard armed as described, and that includes CINCSAC's outer office. That time period, in SAC was after my tour in Vietnam...70-75. Never said the guns didn't exist, only that I'd never seen them in that time period in or around the CINC or his retinue . That said, the Wikipedia write up is pretty definitive on their existence.

Best Regards, Rod

QUOTE: "... I was the Commanding General, 8th AF's personal pilot for 6 months out of Anderson in Guam,..."

AndersEn...:)

I worked 52s & 135s.
Never forget the first night when they hauled us out to the 52 pad in the back of a beat-to-spit Chebby pickup, dropped me off in the dark, said "Them two planes is yours. They BETTER be there when we come back for you!"

One of the most boring jobs in the universe. :)
Denis

I was lucky. When I got there I was a SSgt. Worked missiles for two years then went to aircraft. My just about permanent post was 2B. Bomber area supervisor.

Was only there less than a year before PCS to England.
Nice Black Hills area, saw my first bullet in flight on top of a mountain somewhere outside Rapid City, hated the job.
Denis

Does anyone know if the stag grips were real stag horn, or were they plastic? If so, what was the brand name? I would like to find a set.

I don't know, but I'd surmise plastic, since they were more for show than anything & few seeing them would have known or cared about the difference.
Denis

I had a set of those for a few years! A friend of mine had worked at SAC headquarters and was a shooter. He was buddies with the Armorer who took care of Gen LeMays' guns and who handloaded ammo for the General. My buddy was able to obtain a set of the fake stag grips from him. When I told my friend I was going to replace the grips on my M15, he asked if I wanted the stag grips. After using them for about 3 years, I replaced them with Ahrends grips which made the gun easier to shoot (for me anyway). I then gave the grips to a mutual friend to put on his M15. He still has them.

Mike

Model 15 with stag grips

I know this is an old Post but if any body is still interested . I am a former elite guardsman and remember that blast door and yes the stag grip and the uniform you see was issue . We used the model 15 even when qualifying at the range. our unit was the 3906 sss

Last edited:
SAC = Simulate, Authenticate, and Cheat (or if you were in TAC, Scared of Actual Combat) - My first duty station was in a SAC Command Post at a base with nuke-equipped B52s on Alert.

Overseas at some other secure facilities I worked in, the SPs would blouse their trousers using coffee cans and loose ball bearings. When they were running in response to an alarm, you could hear them coming with plenty of time to make yourself small. They took exception to anyone impeding their progress. :D

I retired in 94 and they had only recently transitioned to the Beretta 92.

Last edited:
Lol 9x19 we did blouse our trousers with coffee cans taped in place on the underside. Had to get a haircut at least once a week the white ascot and white boot laces kept us busy and buying Clorox.

I saw Security Police at Fairchild AFB with cross draw M15 S&W some kink of pearl type grips. Also white laces in their boots. This was back in the '70s

Back