What is the farthest shot you would feel comfortable with a handgun?

Single action 1911 or Coonan 357 Mgnum 1911, 50-75 yards.

Concealed carry guns : 25 yards. I don't know how justified shooting anything further in a defense situation can made.

"I don't know how justified shooting anything further in a defense situation can made."

Unfortunately, in a defense situation, you might not be the one who controls the scenario. It could be a good idea to at least practice a bit and have some idea what you and your gun are capable of doing beyond what you consider "justified."

Jim

Picture youself in that Colorado Theater at the opposite side of the freak. That's why I still practice with my carry gun at longer ranges.

Depends on the gun. With an LCP about 5 feet. ;) With a 1911 about 100 feet. With a scoped Blackhawk .44 probably 100 yards.

Out to around 150 with My SRH.454 OFF A rest.scoped of course.
out to 250 with t/c encore 16'' 7mm08.:D

What is the farthest shot you would feel comfortable with a handgun?

Depends on the handgun and depends on the target. At steel gongs or other inanimate targets, I feel comfortable shooting at any range with any of my handguns. Targets that breathe tend to be different........

Have carried either 1911 GM or 4" .357MAG,...

for regular deer season in MI when carrying my .50 muzzle-loader.

Had fired with both @ 100 yds.

WHen carrying just sidearms, I had a Ruger Blackhawk, 7.5" barrel .45LC, that I could keep a cylinder load on a paper plate @ 85 yds.

You have to determine what you are comfortable with.

Good luck!

For hiking in the WA Cascades, carried either using 180gr hot cast lead or 230gr FMJ (both round nose or Flat point), but that was more for close -in duty.
e.g.: black bear / cougar

How far would I feel comfortable?

For fun, I shoot the 200yd gong at the rifle range, offhand. One handed, 7.5" barrel .45 Colt 250gr@1100fps. And I hit, often.

For game? Big game, half that, and rested if possible.

Small game? half that again, and wishing for a .22 instead of a .45 :D

Shooting something like a scoped Contender? rested, in .222 or .30-30, or .45-70, my "comfortable" distance will be a bit different.

I have done very well at the range at 100yds. I have killed hogs out to 85yds while in the stand, and have killed two hogs back to back freehand out to 30yds with my Taurus Raging Bull 454.

Keep shooting guys,,,you will get better at it.

I went to the range yesterday and at 10 yards with my .45cal glock I put 12 shots in the head of a silhouette target in about 15 seconds.........

50 yards with my Ruger MKII target model over open sights. I can't say I'm terribly accurate at that distance, but. I can hold a group about the size of a desert sized paper plate.

I don't own, nor have access to anything with "magnum" in the caliber name, so most of my pistol shooting is done at 10-25 yards and almost exclusively over open sights. I have never shot a handgun with scope, nor do I really want to honestly. If I am far enough away that I need a scope I may as well brig my Mauser and pack a lot more power. Anyway... I did shoot a G19 once with a red dot in it and that was a hoot...!

I would try a .357 magnum at 50-100 yards over open sights if I knew anyone with one though.

Freehand with irons I can keep it on a 9" target at 25 yards. If it's a good day there might even be something resembling a softball-sized group as opposed to a shotgun blast on the target.

Frankly I have trouble *seeing* the blasted target once it gets out to 100 yards or so. No idea how guys are doing it with irons, but I'm sure some can.

Personally, anything much past 25 yards with a pistol is luck or at best inconsistent. If I'm sitting with a rest it's not a big deal, but figure at that point I may as well be using a rifle.

On the rare occasions I hunt with my RBH I limit my shots to 30 yds. I don't like wounding game and for me handgun hunting is like bow hunting. The whole point is to get up close to your quarry.
Now as for targets I'm perfectly comfortable with slinging lead at any distance although with my eyes I'm not any good at it. Still, as long as there is nothing behind the target to worry about it is loads of fun trying long shots with opensighted handguns.
At the range I tend to practice at 25 yds ( the range max for handguns ). If I feel comfortable at that range shorter SD ranges are a breeze.

COM? probably 25yards with a service pistol.
I can reliably hit a silhouette at 50yards, but my "groups" are too far spread out to really be called "groups" - though a sub 1' group looks impressive if you don't look too carefully..

I imagine I'd do better with my target pistols, but I really only shoot at 25 yards. It's an easier walk to check/reset targets.

My State doesn't have a pistols only hunting season (or not that I know of) so I've never had the call to go hunting with one. We're allowed 1 deer per season - with a few archery exceptions - so between archery, regular, and BP I have more than enough to keep myself occupied.

If I were hunting, I'd want to be pretty close. Through very conservative shot taking (I like the hunt more than I need the meat) I've never had a deer move more than a few feet - a trend I'd like to continue.

I can pretty routinely put repeated rounds well inside a 6" circle at 50 yards with any of my revolvers, open sights, including a snubbie, double action, 2 seconds per round, including reloads. I had an old coach that taught that. Example, 12 rounds in 24 seconds.

If I move out farther, it doesn't really seem to matter if I slow down or fire single action. The groups just get a little bigger. Once the target becomes difficult to see (100 yds plus) the groupings actually improve a little. I think I switch to "ball on post" sighting, using the entire target as the ball. My groups will be a little low, but pretty closely clustered. If I was making a critical shot at 100 yds, I could aim ball on post, then nudge it up just a smidge and probably get things closer to center bullseye.

I"m not a hunter so I can't say how any of that applies to hitting a deer/sheep etc.

Sgt Lumpy

Back