What is the BEST pistol ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh D

I know this will have XXX amount of opinions, but what do YOU think is the best semi automatic pistol ever made? Can be full size or not. Caliber does not matter, but it must be a stopper, say .380 min. Put the emphasis on reliablity, accuraccy, and general toughness. Looks do not matter what so ever. Can be 3 shot cap. or 21 shot cap. Mainly, if you could have one pistol to go to war, carry it in the wide open, take it through muck, mud, and terrible abuse, and still make it fire, price is no object(it is your life here). This must be a stock gun, no race guns. Guns such as Wilson Combat are OK too. Whaddya think?

------------------
Don't turn around, uh oh oh, der kommisar is in town, uh oh oh!

Beretta 92. I've seen these things go through crap you wouldn't believe and they just keep going bangedy-bang.

I don't own one, as I'm rather anti-auto (too lazy to pick up brass) but I've got this Uncle who promises I can borrow one if the SHTF, and he even makes me practice with it regularly. :)

------------------
TJS

I'll take that...

The SIG P210 has my vote for being the best.

It is a rare pistol here these days - but once you fire it - you know it is the best. Rifle accurate, Reliable... solid gun... and it was ment to be a service gun!

But at its asking price - its in a league all it's own. That leaves us with mere mortal autos:
The Colt 1911 - the one that started it all... Yeah - I would say it's lineage is a force to be recond with. But We are talking Singular here... That means ONE gun.

First knee jerk reaction is HK USP. But then again I feel the SIG P220 is right there too...

If any one votes Hi Point - I will have to come over there... ;)

------------------
Every man Dies.
Not Every Man Truely Lives...

FREEDOM!

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

[This message has been edited by Kodiac (edited August 07, 1999).]

You had to put "accurate" in there didn't you? If you hadn't, I'd say Glock, IMO, probably the 17. But with the addition of superior accuracy, it gets much more complicated. My own preference is for the P7M8, which is very accurate, but honestly I don't think it would take mud or sand very well.

I was thinking of a revolver, but they also don't take abuse very well. I've jammed them up on unburned powder, I think sand would bind one up in short order. Reliable autos generally tend not to be that accurate, although certainly accurate enough for their intended purpose, close range combat. I believe that the standards, Glock 17, Colt 1911, Beretta M9, are all comperable in accuracy in typical examples, and any will surely do the job.

Since you didn't list size as a consideration, that leads me to my pick for your criteria, which would be the HK SOCOM pistol, as IMO it has an accuracy edge over the others and should provide good reliability in adverse conditions.

------------------
With my shield or on it...

I agree with Kodiac: Sig P210!! However, he is right about the high price component, but it is worth it! I am very fond of the Sig but I have always been a .45 fan, therefore my vote would ,without doubt, be the H&K P9s .45 Target.I have both the Combat version with IWI nightsites and the Target version with adjustable sights/trigger.The target version is the most accurate auto I own.I have custom built .45's that only come close.The H&K was built for the military/law enforcement and passed the vigorous trials. Not needing match grade accuracy I would select my Combat version for military type use.
Besides the numerous qualities the H&K exhibits it just plain fits my hand perfectly! If you have never shot one you are really missing out. For all you P7 fans who love its low bore axis and soft recoil, the H&K does it all better with its delayed breech-block roller action and excellent ergonomics in a .45 payload! All these superb qualities come in a package with a 4 inch barrel, and about 31 oz. with empty mag.My only problem is spare parts acquisition; it is difficult and expensive That would be my only hesitency in selecting this gun for heavy "mud and grime" use. In that case it would be without a doubt one of my Combat tuned .45's.
Kodiac: Have you ever shot the H&K Target version? Dave

"Best" should be first reliable, second easy to use, third accurate & precise. (I wouldn't argue the order of the second & third elements.) Caliber and capacity are important, too, but less so. The H&K P7M8 gets my vote for best overall combination of the three cardinal factors.

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

Kimber Gold Match---it is the most accurate pistol I have ever fired, and 100% reliable. In general, the 1911A1 design.

For the money, I remmoned the Ruger P-95.

I personally like the Glock 23 as a great all-around. I also like the Beretta 92 and the Kahr K-9. I list them all day long though,
Ben

Best pistol? Now, that's hard to say! But then you started piling on the qualifications...and when you were through it was clear only one gun would do: Mil-spec pre-1970 Colt 1911A1. Nuff said. slabsides

------------------
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave.

For me, I would chose a Glock 23. Very RELIABLE, accurate enough to get the job done, and tough as a box of bricks. This weapon conceals well and carries enough rounds that you would not feel under guned. An overall good weapon in my book.

I really am liking my SW642. It's a minor calibre, but it is so easy to carry. I can't hit with it as well as my old Glock. But I'm getting there.

Well, I've been carrying my P-7, love my Colt, but given the parameters, I would have to say thje best all around gun ever is the.....................Glock 19! It's the most all around size effecient, ergonomic, accurate, tough, reliable gun I ever shot. And I've shot plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back