What is the best 9mm pistol

"Best" is capable of different interpretations depending on qualifications.
For me, the "best" 9 mm pistol is unquestionably the H&K P7M8.

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

i am curious as to the retail price of the above mentioned handguns. i am in the market for a 9mm. ANY 9mm but i do want the best
i was looking at h&k or an italian berreta or even a sig. difference 210 & 226?

Price is no object then I would say Walther P-88/full size.
Almost as acurate as a Sig 210.
Totally ambidextrous thumb mag release,decocker and slide release.
15 rounds in the mags and they are all preban.
Dave9

no experience with the P210, so...

1. Hi-Power
2. HK P7M8, a very close second
3. Glock 17, its just not as accurate as its more expensive 9mm cousins

from my collection, i would pick the SIG 210 as THE 9mm gun if i could only have one. i also have a P7M8 which is a terrific gun, but u can't shoot lead in it (ok in a pinch u can). i also have a SIG/SAUER P228 that would be in the top 3. these r box stock guns and no need to customize them to make them serviceable...that's why the Hi Power wouldn't make my list. i did get to handle a VERY nice custom Hi Power by C&S...slick, but the cost was outrageous!!! almost $1000CDN more than my SIG 210!!! ick!

cost not being a factor in my case (since i have them...hehe), the SIG 210 is first because it is THE best 9mm u can buy that is reliable, superbly accurate, will last generations of hard use! my P228 is second because it is reliable, accurate, concealable, and can use hi cap mags. my P7M8 is a terrific concealed carry gun, accurate, reliable but is third because it can't use lead bullets, and is a little noisy when cocking.

although the CZ75 is a great gun, the DA/SA pull leave a lot to be desired when compared to my other guns. love the design (owned three: 1 CZ75 and 2 CZ85s), but i would have to get the trigger cleaned up to my preferences. accuracy work would have to be done too, the best grouping from my CZ85 i could get was 2.5"...compared to one hole groups with my top 3 9mm pistols.

------------------
Mik

<A HREF="http://"http://marina.fortunecity.com/harbour/347/10mm.html"" TARGET=_blank>my 10mm page</A>

The best 9mm is the one that is loaded in and your hand when your life depends on it. Keep in mind parts availabilty (including extra mags)when you make this choice and don't tarry, prices are on their way up. Go to a good range and rent sevral 9mm's shoot them and break them down for cleaning and then make your move.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

[This message has been edited by Will Beararms (edited December 29, 1999).]

Well, OK, if you must know, the best 9mm is the original, the P08 Luger. End of story. :)

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785
We don't have a chaplain here, but I don't view that as any major problem... You can rest assured
that you will not go in that bag until I've said a few appropriate words over you
R. Lee Ermy as Sgt Major Haffner, from The Siege of Firebase Gloria
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts. It may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok

I have a Hungarian Hi-Power copy because It's what i could afford at the time. It shoots REALLY well and LOTS of magazines/parts are available and have been in production world wide since 1935.

However of all the 9's I've fired the Sig 226 was the "sweetest shooting, best handling brass landing in the exact same spot every time" gun on the range. However its expensive.

The browning is a FINE gun but some people tend to "limp wrist it" and it can have jamming problems.

The Rugers work, but the are BIG and feel somewhat awkward to me.

I liked the way the Glock 17 shot and felt but the safe-action trigger still confounds my safty sensibilty and feels wierd on my finger.

The beretta 92 was too big, too complicated and I dislike slide mounted safties.

I've never tried a s&w 9mm or CZ, but of those I've heard a lot of good things about the CZ.

The SIG P210 is a superb pistol. accurate and reliable and beautifully made. I love mune dearly but its safety is poorly positioned for combat shooting. Europern IPSC shooters who use P210s repkace or modify the safety.
If I were going to use a 9mm pistol for self defense I would select either a Browning Highpower or A SIG P226 depending on whether I preffered a single action or a double acton pistol.

I guess I will just stick with my Beretta 92fs. Its great to have choices.

------------------
ff ...save the 2nd. No fate but what we make.

Well, I have only four 9mms. Two are P7s, one is a P210, and one is a Hi-Power. I guess that about says it all. If I had to make a call as to the best, it would be the P7, hands down. The others can't approach it in what it can do.

I own the SIG P-210, P-226, and have shot the Browning HP. Sorry, but none of them are "the best 9mm." That distinction goes to the Walther P88 Competition. 14 round Mag, as accurate as my P210, sweet DA/SA trigger, has a decocker. Only drawback is the price, but like everything else in life, you get what you paid for. In Europe this model has been winning many IDPA matches consistently for the last few years. - Dac

I have owned or shot most of the currently produced 9mm's and I prefer the P7M8. I am left-handed and it seems like many of the 9mm alternatives require two hands and a tentacle to deal with their various external controls. I don't have to worry about holding the gun firmly or with any particular grip to avoid jams. The thing is absolutely reliable even when loosely held, upside down (not a recommended procedure). There seem to be lots of explanations why other pistols don't work properly e.g., customizing required, "limp wristing," or the gun is not properly cleaned or lubed. The P7, doesn't require excuses. It works everytime I pull the trigger. It does, however, take time and a gzillion q-tips to properly clean.

JH

JH,

I'm left handed also, glad you posted because I think I'm going to take the plunge on a P7M8- heard its just too great of a gun not to have (little spendy though).

Hi JG:
The M8 is certainly expensive but I think you'll be pleased. Before I heard anything about the proposed purchase of HK by Colt (Shudder), I heard that HK planned to stop importing the P7. They sell relatively few of these expensive guns. I currently have another M8 on order. BTW I've experienced the best accuracy with the standard velocity Federal 9BP 115 gr. jacketed hollow- point. Good luck and let me know what you think of your M8.

JH

Back