What is it?

As you can see in the picture I got the bolt out. Put it in my ultrasonic cleaner with Otis cleaning fluid. For about two hours with heat. Quite a bit of crap was in the bottom of the tank. I'm going to do a further clean more detailed clean. Is there any further takedown?
bca010424de06d759d623731f399cf5b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

So yesterday I decided to work on getting this gun apart. The biggest screw on the bottom was the toughest. Had to put a little bit of Kroil on it and let it soak. Looks like this gun had been apart a few times. All of the screw's have been buggers up. Did that on last Thursday. Had to put the stock in a vise to hold it still. Then used a screwdriver with a wrench to help in turning force to get it loose. Two other wood screws and she was separated. Any ideas on what the wood is? I sanded it a little. Almost feels like plastic. But I know from its age that it can't be. And any ideas on how to finish both the wood and metal parts?
b2336f5a4f57b2d9b8213f90649110c0.jpg
d03bc377f8ce3f8972da477b6d3af747.jpg
55a2872e1169f88ae72f0585df132253.jpg
e786a14f879d8d39200dac79ee227d7e.jpg

4cd60242f882d813d107016341ec7162.jpg

Could be walnut. If not, it is a hardwood. Linseed oil was once used on walnut to finish stocks. You could rub those scuff marks with a drop of linseed oil.
Safety note: Linseed oil is "chemically active", plastizes wood, and has been proven to spontaneously combust, when stored in contact with diesel fuel.
Rags with linseed oil, tossed inside a shop vac, later used to vacumn a diesel spill, wait 12-24 hours, caused a fire at a huge datacenter.

I do remember rubing down the stock of my dad's 30-06 with linseed oil. I did do a light sanding with I think 150 grain sandpaper and it turned that lightish gray color. Probably have to sand the whole thing down to make it match. And then find a small can of linseed oil to finish it. Then on to the metal parts. I have never finished a gun before so haven't got a clue where to start.

Wouldn't that be on the barrel? It came completely apart when I got the last screw out. Actually was trying to get the magazine out and it came apart. And I said the gun has been apart before maybe many times. All of the screw's are buggered up.

the gun in its aged look, is classic. I wouldn't bugger it up one bit. clean it. oil it. shoot it. enjoy it.
I already sanded the stock a little bit. If am going to oil it I'm thinking I should lightly sand the whole thing right?

I already sanded the stock a little bit. If am going to oil it I'm thinking I should lightly sand the whole thing right?

Do I sanded be the whole stock. It can off like paint. Completely sanded the whole and then stained it with some Red Mahogany stain. Looks nice. But I'm thinking that I should be putting some kind of sealent on it. Not sure what to use. Could use a spray satin polyurethane or use some kind of MinWax wax and rub that in. Any thoughts?

Back