What handgun do u find to be under-rated but great

Super Blackhawk

Curious what handguns people find to be under the radar n under rated but are actually first tier superb. For me it's my discovery of the quality, accuracy, reliability n ergonomics of the Beretta PX4 Storm family of pistols... I find them to be a match for any Sig, Glock, Smith, Ruger or any other top manufacturer

Absolutely The SAR K2 .45. The TriStars are very under rated too but the SAR is a cut above.

IMG_1111_zpsofjktxf4.jpg

sb,

Easy answer- the SW 3rd generations. Have to be bought used since they're out of production but they're reliable, accurate and can be had for reasonable prices.

best wishes- oldandslow

XD. Great guns. Often looked over by the Glock and wanna be crowd because LEO not using them, but remember what drives LEO gun buys.....COST. I find low cost and high quality are rarely in the same product.

Bersa makes quality handguns for a very reasonable price. My Bersa Thunder 380CC was the gun that finally replaced my S&W j-frame as my primary concealed carry weapon. Great customer service and very loyal owners.

The Beretta PX4 line is the first one that popped into my head, too, when reading the title of the thread. Very good value that a lot of people don't seem to notice or consider.

CZ.

I find my CZ 85B to be the equal to any 9mm I have shot. That includes Glock, SIG, S&W, BHP, Beretta, Ruger, etc.

CZ's have never been underrated, the CZ75 being one of the most iconic pistols of the twentieth century, and which at least at one time, saw widespread issue throughout the entire planet, so much so, that even during the height of the cold war there were agency types and especially military vets who brought home high opinions of them. Many high end clones pay homage to the design, all the way up to extremely well fabricated Swiss versions sold as the "Sphinx" here in the states. The CZ is not underrated, its simply an old design, and the marketplace has moved ahead of it, toward more pragmatic and durable designs. The CZ75 has almost 70 parts, more then double the amount present in a Glock, many of these parts are small, complex, and difficult to repair or otherwise gunsmith. Such has contributed to its smaller footprint compared to modern weapons, nonetheless, they still dominate at many weekend competitive shoots! I consider the CZ75 to be in the exact same class as the 1911A1, and nobody believes those are underrated!

Everyone will have a different idea of what is, to them, fitting of the description:
first tier superb
What I see posted in this thread are SOLID guns that run well, bring decent accuracy and can be bought for reasonable money. And that is great, who doesn't love something that fits that mold?! I certainly do.

I just can't see using terms like the quoted text for that. It kind of seems like they deliver what you had hoped they would... not some kind of DROP-JAW, outrageous, "WHY doesn't the world know about this?!?!?!" kind of handgun.

Of all the handguns I own and play with, the one that best describes one that is simply well ABOVE the basic "works, runs, shoots good, relatively unknown and YEAH, I'm happy with it" handgun has to be my Tanfoglio Elite Match 9mm. Branded EAA by the importer, this is the lowest of the "custom shop" models offered by Tanfoglio. It is single action only and the trigger and accuracy simply BLOW AWAY what folks have come to expect and accept from most 9mm full size handguns on the market today. And though they are not the easiest pistols to find and buy... street price is under $700.

I own only a single handgun that I can out-shoot my Tanfoglio Elite Match with, and that's a hand-built Smith & Wesson PC gun that likely runs roughly three times the price, is YEARS out of production and only a handful of them were ever made. And that is an 8+1 full target .45cal pistol. The Elite Match is a 17+1 9mm that would probably give it a closer run for the money if it had serious target sights on it. (it does not)

To me, the Elite Match answers the OP's question. It is not just a "solid gun for low money." And it's digested over 4,500 rounds so I'm not in the "honeymoon phase."

For me it's my discovery of the quality, accuracy, reliability n ergonomics of the Beretta PX4 Storm family of pistols... I find them to be a match for any Sig, Glock, Smith, Ruger or any other top manufacturer

That by, Super Blackhawk, is very true! People seem to shy away from the PX4 because they think it looks bulky, but when put one in they're shooting hand, and put a couple of mags of ammo through it, they wonder, "Where has this gun been all of my life". I've seen this happen on video reviews by gun experts more than once.

"Decent" doesn't describe the Beretta PX4 in any way. The correct term is "Excellent". If you haven't owned one, I'm pretty sure you have no idea what I'm talking about.

At the end of my life I own a PX4 Compact, with a PX4 (full size) Storm on the way for only $443.00...:):) I seldom post on a firearm, I haven't owned.

Last edited:
Taurus. I just keep hearing good things lately. I have a 2007 pt111 9mm that has been flawless for years too. After seeing this review (http://www.gunsandammo.com/handguns/compacts/single-stack-9mm-shootout/) in guns and ammo where their single stack 9 was only one of 3 guns to shoot 1000 round flawlessly and reading about some of the stuff they are doing I am more and more impressed. I am considering their little TCP for pocket carry - $190 and gets as good of review of any of those little .380s. I am a fan of no brand and could care less about them, I just want a gun that works, but I see taurus get a bad rap and im not sure its justified. Whenever one of their guns has an issue everyone says they just have bad quality control. Then you see a thread on a glock, SW, etc. and everyone blames the user or says dont worry they will repair it. I dont think their return rate is higher than any other company or they would be out of business.

I agree with those who've already mentioned the PX4 and XD family, and with my .02 will add the CZ P-07. Relatively inexpensive, accurate, and for a lot of people, or most of those that I have suggested the pistol to, find that it has an excellent natural "fit" in the hands with a great natural point of aim.

Back